• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Ireland 2021 (white ball)

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I didn’t see any of this but it’s a serious result. Can’t remember us beating a big quite side so comfortably before.

Niall

International Coach
Would have to go back far to find such an impressive win for Ireland where Stirling did not dominate like he normally does.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Both games Ireland has looked the far better team. Both in composure and in basic skills.

I'm losing confidence in Verreynne ability at the top level. I`m not sure that his technique allows him to be out of form and still get some runs. Mulder needs to be in every SA test and ODI side. Is the only quality batting allrounder in the country, still lots to learn but at least provides a balance to the team. Linde also needs to be given a shot, would not be against SA playing 3 spinners on occasion.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Linde also needs to be given a shot, would not be against SA playing 3 spinners on occasion.
If the intention is to play all three of Rabada, Ngidi, and Nortje on a regular basis then one of Linde or Maharaj has to be the primary spinner. Shamsi's been fantastic in T20s but not as successful in ODIs and it's a much bigger problem having that long tail in ODIs than T20s, so his lack of batting ability becomes a liability.

Also, how long do we persist with Markram in ODIs? I realise that Malan has only played a handful of ODIs, mostly in South Africa, and is unlikely to sustain an average of over 70 (although Rassie's been able to do that...) but Markram just isn't doing the job. And while he does offer an extra bowling option, which we could do with, he doesn't bowl enough to justify his place on that alone.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
If the intention is to play all three of Rabada, Ngidi, and Nortje on a regular basis then one of Linde or Maharaj has to be the primary spinner. Shamsi's been fantastic in T20s but not as successful in ODIs and it's a much bigger problem having that long tail in ODIs than T20s, so his lack of batting ability becomes a liability.

Also, how long do we persist with Markram in ODIs? I realise that Malan has only played a handful of ODIs, mostly in South Africa, and is unlikely to sustain an average of over 70 (although Rassie's been able to do that...) but Markram just isn't doing the job. And while he does offer an extra bowling option, which we could do with, he doesn't bowl enough to justify his place on that alone.
I`m unsure on Shamsi... but he has done enough that I`m not convinced he is the issue here and he is a real wicket taking option. In the end while the bowlers did not play well yesterday dropping 4 catches did not help either. It is the batting that is the problem.

Markram is one of the few batsmen in the side that can dominate an attack, but in an unsettled line-up I think that his job is not clear to him. Should he be trying to dominate or should he be trying to stabilize. He has some technical flaws but no better or worse than all the other choices. He is to talented a player to leave out for others. Gotta find a place for van Tonder he is too good a player to continue to ignore.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Can I just ask why Phelukwayo is still a thing
He came out of school showing great promise and has never really built from there. SA tend to hold to tight onto players once selected, combined with the quota issues he consistently gets opportunity. Mulder is the only other real long term option as an all rounder.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He came out of school showing great promise and has never really built from there. SA tend to hold to tight onto players once selected, combined with the quota issues he consistently gets opportunity. Mulder is the only other real long term option as an all rounder.
Oh I know, it wasn't a serious question lol. He hasn't been any good in a really long time. Leaks far too many runs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Given both the next WC and the WT20 will be in the SC, I would encourage RSA to play with two spinners as much as possible. Maybe play only 2 out of Rabada, Ngidi and Nortje if that is what it takes. And Markram can play as the 6th bowling option.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Oh I know, it wasn't a serious question lol. He hasn't been any good in a really long time. Leaks far too many runs.
Not totally true, there is times that he is SA's most economical bowler. He was also taking wickets consistently at 27/28 avg in 2018/19. The problem was that is only good enough as an allrounder if he is also contributing with the bat, which he has not done. Then you might as well play the extra better bowler.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Given both the next WC and the WT20 will be in the SC, I would encourage RSA to play with two spinners as much as possible. Maybe play only 2 out of Rabada, Ngidi and Nortje if that is what it takes. And Markram can play as the 6th bowling option.
I`m advocating playing all 3... I would not want to rely on Markram as a 6th bowler.

Dendarii

International Debutant
Phehlukwayo seems to me to often be dependent on the start given by the opening bowlers. If they've kept it tight then he appears to usually be able to keep the pressure on and chip in with wickets, but can travel if the openers haven't contained the opposition.

But his batting has been a bit of disappointment for me as it looked early on like he had the potential to be better than he's turned out to be. He has been involved in the odd tricky run chase but he's just not consistent enough, And since his domestic record is no better than his international record, I don't think we can expect any more from him than we've already seen.