• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

Protean

State Regular
A partnership like theone India had earlier will really hurt, we need to get these wickets ASAP. Chasing even 100 isn't a cakewalk. ARGH, learn to catch!
:) I wouldn't worry if I were you. Steyn wasn't blessed with patience and Prince is doing zilch, he's looking pathetic actually.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Oh God - shut the hell up Bhajji.....you're about to bowl SA out, and win the game. Can't you just enjoy it and shut your trap for once?

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Ishant Sharma bowling to Dale Steyn - great stuff.

South Africa currently lead by 50, if South Africa can stretch that to 90 or 100, India could be in for a very tough chase.

R_D

International Debutant
need to wrap up this innings now... chasing 100 isn't going to be easy on this pitch.

I'd prefer pitches like this than the one they had in the first test anyday.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh God - shut the hell up Bhajji.....you're about to bowl SA out, and win the game. Can't you just enjoy it and shut your trap for once?
He's warming up for Symonds in the IPL :ph34r:

Whomsoever it was who said that any lead on the 1st innings here would be vital is being proven spot on. Well done to whoever it was.

Burgey

Bad batting, good bolwing, bad pitch or a combo of any 2 or 3 of these?

Pitch can't be THAT bad can it?

pasag

RTDAS

I've only seen the highlights and been following on cricinfo, so someone who has been watching can correct me, but it looks like average batting from players on both sides more than anything - Dravid's wicket first innings was the pitch, Kallis was unlucky first innings as well but many of the wickets have fallen from silliness, from what I gather anyway.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

Pitch isn't bad. India scored 325 in the first innings, and they batted second (e.g, not when pitch was at its best in the first day).

325 (and 265) are legitimate test totals. Some pitches help spinners, some fast bowlers, some batsmen...and some help some combination of the three. People claim the perfect Test pitch to help the fast bowlers on day one, batsman on day 2 & 3, and bowlers and especially spinners on 4 & 5.

But while that's fine, if every pitch did that, cricket would be very boring indeed. I want some variety, and this pitch isn't as bad as what some made it out to be, considering on such pitches batting last is suicide, and it looks like India will win it.

Not saying you were saying any of those things, but I just want to throw it out there for some of the others. Learn to play on hard pitches, it's really that simple. The pitch in Ahemdabad helped fast bowlers, and if someone wants to whine about this pitch, I'll whine about that. Both times the side that won the toss went on to lose the game, so that tells me a lot.

To answer your question though, its a combination of the pitch, and some bad batting. A couple dismissals were clearly pitch related, but there were lots of heaves across the line of the ball, which were unnecessary.

Last edited:

Burgey

Pitch isn't bad. India scored 325 in the first innings, and they batted second (e.g, not when pitch was at its best in the first day).

325 (and 265) are legitimate test totals. Some pitches help spinners, some fast bowlers, some batsmen...and some help some combination of the three. People claim the perfect Test pitch to help the fast bowlers on day one, batsman on day 2 & 3, and bowlers and especially spinners on 4 & 5.

But while that's fine, if every pitch did that, cricket would be very boring indeed. I want some variety, and this pitch isn't as bad as what some made it out to be, considering on such pitches batting last is suicide, and it looks like India will win it.

Not saying you were saying any of those things, but I just want to throw it out there for some of the others. Learn to play on hard pitches, it's really that simple. The pitch in Ahemdabad helped fast bowlers, and if someone wants to whine about this pitch, I'll whine about that. Both times the side that won the toss went on to lose the game, so that tells me a lot.

To answer your question though, its a combination of the pitch, and some bad batting. A couple dismissals were clearly pitch related, but there were lots of heaves across the line of the ball, which were unnecessary.
I thought from the first innings' scores it can't have been that bad.

Certainly have no problems agreeing with you there - seriously, try to remember 10 tests you've either seen or been to where the wicket has helped the quicks by being green and seaming, then flattened out to bat well for a few days, then turned big on the last day or two with spinners dominating. It rarely happens. You don't often get wickets that do all those things in the one game.

Dare I say it, but did they:

Last edited: