• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That may not be the best option if Harbhajan continues to bowl ****.
Yea, but he is always a handful on home pitches. If you see a pitch suiting spin, you pretty much have to play two spinners, IMO. Especially if a team like SA are touring, which may be vulnerable. And if not Bhajji, then Karthik or Powar. Maybe even Chawla. But the spinner would likely be more beneficial than another fast bowler, IMO.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Likely line up for the first test IMO:

W Jaffer
V Sehwag
RS Dravid
SR Tendulkar
SC Ganguly
VVS Laxman
MS Dhoni
A Kumble
Harbhajan Singh
Zaheer Khan
RP Singh

Ishant is the dark horse imo but I am hoping that they select RP ahead of Ishant. It is close as it stands though - 60-40 in favour of RP imo and things can change depending on how the two perform between now and the first test.

India would be favorites for the series and should be able to win it. 2-0 with one ending in a draw looks the most likely result of the series.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yea, but he is always a handful on home pitches. If you see a pitch suiting spin, you pretty much have to play two spinners, IMO. Especially if a team like SA are touring, which may be vulnerable. And if not Bhajji, then Karthik or Powar. Maybe even Chawla. But the spinner would likely be more beneficial than another fast bowler, IMO.
Kartik FFS SS. You're an Indian supporter :p

adharcric

International Coach
Jaffer, Sehwag, Dravid, Tendulkar, Ganguly, Laxman, Dhoni, Kumble, Zaheer, RPS/Bhajji, Ishant

Reserves: Karthik, Yuvraj, Pathan, Bhajji/RPS, Sreesanth

Last edited:

sportsnob

Cricket Spectator
Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
Piyush Chawla
Sharma
RP Singh/Sreesanth/Munaf

That would be my ideal line up. But Ganguly HAS to be there, so it will be Pathan to open and Jaffer sitting out.

biased indian

International Coach
with only 2 weeks to go for the first match think this should be a sticky....

and a name change also is needed :)

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
I definitely think you need two spinners.
Depends on the pitch IMO...........If its going to be a really flat batting paradise then I dont think India needs to play Jaffer as they will need wicket taking bowlers.........Dravid should open if he wants a place(considering his form in the last test series), Pathan being an all rounder gives you options.........Yuvraj will have to wait out.

Sehwag
Dravid
Laxman
Tendulkar
Ganguly
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
Zaheer
RP Singh
Ishant

Second spin option will have to be Sehwag/Sachin.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
India would be favorites for the series and should be able to win it. 2-0 with one ending in a draw looks the most likely result of the series.
I pretty much agree with that, though I see 1-0 to India. Though in 6 months time we could be calling SA the clear 2nd best team in the World if they draw or win in India and beat England in England.

If India take it 2-0, as you suggest, I think that would put them a clear #2.

jeevan

International 12th Man
In the last home test series (Pakistan, better players of spin than SA) India had
part timers be the 3rd (Yuvraj), 4th(Tendulkar) and 5th (Laxman) spin bowling options.

In the last test series that SA played in the subcontinent (also Pakistan), even Kaneria
and Abdur Rehman outbowled Asif and Gul, atleast in terms of wickets.

Simply dont see India not playing two spinners, even if the abundance of pacers vying for a place is embarassing.

Steyn is doing quite well, and the opening combination for India is quite unsettled. So it is also likely that 6 batsmen will play plus Dhoni. In tests can do with 4 bowlers especially since Kumble, Harbhajan can bowl long spells and Ganguly, Sehwag, Tendulkar can all be economic stock bowlers.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
India will be playing South Africa on flat tracks in India though; not the bouncy pitches in Australia.
Do not think the tracks in india are flat but more so are dead where run scoring in also tough and where on the first two days getting wickets is also tough.
I think tracks in australia have been flatter than in india over the recent years.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Jaffer
Sehwag
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Dhoni
Pathan
Kumble
Piyush Chawla
Sharma
RP Singh/Sreesanth/Munaf

That would be my ideal line up. But Ganguly HAS to be there, so it will be Pathan to open and Jaffer sitting out.
I think mishra would be ahead of chawla in terms of a test leg spin bowler.
Chawla is not ready yet.He is too flat and does not turn the ball too much.
While amit mishra has had a great domestic test season being the leading wicket taker in all bowlers while chawla was struggling to but a wicket for UP.Mishra has also previously toubled the south africans.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Still don't particulary want to see Sehwag in the Test team but he will be there no doubt.
Sehwag is a way better test player atm,than a one day player.

BTW, akash chopra btw atm would be pushing sehwag and jaffer for the opening slot after a remarkable season.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
think India wouldn't mind if Dhoni had to sit out the first test, tbh... :p

Would help them put Karthik and Sehwag at the top and not disturb the middle order and still allow them to play 3 seamers and two spinners... :)

Really though, my earlier post still stands... I don't think we have found out our best XI yet and it seems for every spot which is not a certainty in the side right now, we have more than 1 contender with almost equally good credentials, form and talent. Not really sure if it is a blessing or a curse though...... :(

haroon510

International 12th Man
it will be quit an interesting series considering that india played well in Aus and their moral is pretty high. in the other hand Sa has dominated every single team that they have played against.. so it will be quit an interesting series.. as always my money is on Sa (against india).. lets hope i seee some win from them..

R_D

International Debutant
These players aren't getting much rest are they.... another series in 2 weeks and than IPL. Than Champion trophy ?

India to win 2-0 for me.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
I pretty much agree with that, though I see 1-0 to India. Though in 6 months time we could be calling SA the clear 2nd best team in the World if they draw or win in India and beat England in England.

If India take it 2-0, as you suggest, I think that would put them a clear #2.
I think South Africa could surprise in this series and hold India to a 1-1 draw.
I'd be astonished though if South Africa won it though.....a team that was stretched by Bangladesh in a test and lost a home test to the West Indians still has a lot of weaknesses IMO.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Be interesting to see what team India put out for the first test

Word on cricinfo is that Zaheer Khan is unlikely to be fit - a real pity because I think he has shown great improvement in his bowling over the last 12-15 months.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would not surprise me to see SA perform very strongly as the Indian batting is massively dependent upon Tendy and VVS at the moment.

There is no settled opening partnership and I'm amazed that people are even considering Jaffer

Dravid, whilst obviously a great player, was no closer to coming out of his form slump than before the tour began

Ganguly predictably failed whilst Yuvi was exposed and couldnt possibly be considered

Even Dhoni had a shocker with an average of 17 and never looked anything more than a fairly ordinary player.

Whilst the SA batting is not that great, their bowlers are good and it would not surprise to see some big changes to the Indian test lineup that toured Australia sooner rather than later

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Would not surprise me to see SA perform very strongly as the Indian batting is massively dependent upon Tendy and VVS at the moment.

There is no settled opening partnership and I'm amazed that people are even considering Jaffer

Dravid, whilst obviously a great player, was no closer to coming out of his form slump than before the tour began

Ganguly predictably failed whilst Yuvi was exposed and couldnt possibly be considered

Even Dhoni had a shocker with an average of 17 and never looked anything more than a fairly ordinary player.

Whilst the SA batting is not that great, their bowlers are good and it would not surprise to see some big changes to the Indian test lineup that toured Australia sooner rather than later
India do have Sehwag back though....he is a far better player in the test game and it wouldn't surprise me if he did damage against RSA.

AGree on Jaffer....always felt that he was avery good domestic player but just lacked that extra bit to cut it at the highest level.

I'm really disappointed that Yuvraj is continually seen as the key player in the future Indian batting lineup because I believe that Badrinath is a far better player than him. In fact I think even Kaif would be a better bet than Yuvi.

Last edited: