• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
The reason the pitch looked different for a little bit when Amla and Du Plessis were batting was very simple, they had managed to occupy the crease and adapt. I am not expert on cricket or batting but the only thing I picked up/learned from Inzy and YK was that everytime they got a hundred and were asked how they went about it, they always had the same answer "I just tried to stay at the wicket". And when you do that, suddenly it looks like the pitch flattened out. Then a wicket falls, a new guy comes in and the pitch is the same again.
Yea exactly. You need to be looking to score runs in order to make mistakes to lose your wicket. If you instead look to occupy the crease and just put the bad balls away, batting looks easy.

No one really has the patience anymore for such old-school style batting though. And some take it to the other extreme - getting into their shell and just blocking everything without putting all the bad balls away.

Batting isn't easy.
If it was possible to adapt and score runs, at least some one would have managed 75 if not 100, right? It's a wicket one can survive on and make runs but you can't really be set. That's the problem for me as it makes batting a lottery.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
No surprises the waaahing is back after the fall of a couple of wickets.
I retorted before the wickets fell. This is the problem with your argumenting style. You try to dumb down the other person's argument. Doesn't make you any more right or wrong really.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
If it was possible to adapt and score runs, at least some one would have managed 75 if not 100, right? It's a wicket one can survive on and make runs but you can't really be set. That's the problem for me as it makes batting a lottery.
True. This is certainly a very very difficult pitch. I am not denying that. The debate is though, whether this is good/bad for cricket. This is not something new. Teams have always prepared pitches to enhance their strengths and nullify the opposition. When Pakistan toured India in 1987, India produced 4 roads to nullify and tire out Imran and Wasim, and then a rank turner in the 5th test at Bangalore for a result. It's been going on for a while. Australia will not produce a seaming track for Anderson and Broad when England tour.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
you've said the same thing about 30 times in this thread and no doubt ***** is going to reply with something he's been going on about since the start of today

it's extremely tedious so please for the love of god, please stop talking about the pitch everyone

indiaholic

International Captain
It is not a lottery. It is just a pitch with 230-250 as the par score. If somebody scores a 100 on a pitch where the total is going to be 230, then it is not the expected result. It is a ****ing brilliant effort.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Yea exactly. You need to be looking to score runs in order to make mistakes to lose your wicket. If you instead look to occupy the crease and just put the bad balls away, batting looks easy.
Batting never looked easy even when Amla and Faf were batting. In fact it looked like a constant struggle. But carry on with your nonsense.

cnerd123

likes this
You don't use the word lottery well. No one denies this pitch is really difficult, and that seeing a 50+ score from a batsman here would be exceptional. But to call it a lottery implies that how long a batsman can stay at the crease is somehow out of his control, which it clearly isn't. Sure they will never be set. Sure they have to fight and grind and bat slowly and ugly and be prepared to face a 170 balls for just 30 odd runs. But it's not a 'lottery'. It's not impossible. It's not unplayable. That's what we are all saying.

This was always going to be a low scoring, slow moving pitch. But the way batsmen on both sides batted -a few exceptions aside- show a lack of temperament and often poor technique against spin. Amla and Faf just demonstrated how to bat on this wicket, and they're both struggling for form this tour. This definitely isn't that bad a pitch that it should be blamed for the game ending so soon. If batsmen on both sides were willing to apply themselves and look ugly, we'd have 250 vs 250 scorelines and the game entering the 4th day quite easily.

cnerd123

likes this
Batting never looked easy even when Amla and Faf were batting. In fact it looked like a constant struggle. But carry on with your nonsense.
Was a general statement and not related to this particular game, but ok.

And yea okay enough pitch talk. I'm tired too.

Tec15

First Class Debutant
Get out after batting defensively: "Meh, just went too much into his shell. Should have looked to score more. Nought to do with the pitch."
Get out after looking to score: "Meh, he just played a bad shot. Should have looked to play more carefully. Nought to do with the pitch."
:hypocrite

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It is not a lottery. It is just a pitch with 230-250 as the par score. If somebody scores a 100 on a pitch where the total is going to be 230, then it is not the expected result. It is a ****ing brilliant effort.
Considering that no-one has got close, 230-250 as a par score seems very generous

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
It's very much a lottery here as no one can be set. You are going to be out any where between 0-40. All you can do is try to a) grit it out or b) try to hit out. Most people have tried to hit out haven't succeeded but you could easily have had Kohli or Sharma score 30/40 instead of 15/20. Duminy is following this path.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Nope, not close.

In my watch, NZ v. WI was considerably worse at the peak of WW/Blocky's powers.

Oz/Ind at the time of Sydney '08 was apparently a delight too.

Ind/Eng 2011 was an entire subforum of woe.