• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Tec15

First Class Debutant
If only Amla showed more application, better footwork, technique etc. :yawn: Nothing to do with the pitch at all.

indiaholic

International Captain
So, Amla falls, after playing 167 balls.

I'm not sure what to think of this innings. I'm very much impressed by his wicket occupation. It's what test cricket is all about! Wait for the odd poor ball and hit it. But Amla just got 2 boundaries of 167 balls. I find it hard to believe he was served just the 2 poor balls. In that sense, he missed a trick, I guess.
Especially against Jadeja.. There were quite a few near half volleys that could have been scored off.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
So, Amla falls, after playing 167 balls.

I'm not sure what to think of this innings. I'm very much impressed by his wicket occupation. It's what test cricket is all about! Wait for the odd poor ball and hit it. But Amla just got 2 boundaries of 167 balls. I find it hard to believe he was served just the 2 poor balls. In that sense, he missed a trick, I guess.
Yeah he was battling it out..I just wonder if he would have been better served by going after at least one of the bowlers a little..because just blocking it out wasn't going to get you anywhere. 2.5 days to go, you are not drawing this. You might as well try to get the runs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah he was battling it out..I just wonder if he would have been better served by going after at least one of the bowlers a little..because just blocking it out wasn't going to get you anywhere. 2.5 days to go, you are not drawing this. You might as well try to get the runs.
Vijay has had the best approach in this and the earlier game. Play with soft hands when defending and push hard when attacking.

cnerd123

likes this
In Amla's defence, there wasn't much batting to come after him. Vilas and the tail haven't inspired confidence. I guess he just felt that cutting out all risk and hoping to hang in there until they got to maybe within 100 runs of the target was the way to go. Plus the longer SA bat for, the less effective India's bowlers become (since they tire out).

cnerd123

likes this
Wonder if Faf can get to 50 here. Would be a fantastic effort, especially given his struggles in this series so far.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The reason the pitch looked different for a little bit when Amla and Du Plessis were batting was very simple, they had managed to occupy the crease and adapt. I am not expert on cricket or batting but the only thing I picked up/learned from Inzy and YK was that everytime they got a hundred and were asked how they went about it, they always had the same answer "I just tried to stay at the wicket". And when you do that, suddenly it looks like the pitch flattened out. Then a wicket falls, a new guy comes in and the pitch is the same again.

Teja.

Global Moderator
and Faf gets out for 39 too. :laugh:

Updated:

Vijay 40
Dhawan 39
Amla 39
Faf 39
Duminy 35
Jadeja 34

39 is the new 99. Vijay for innings of the year.

cnerd123

likes this
The reason the pitch looked different for a little bit when Amla and Du Plessis were batting was very simple, they had managed to occupy the crease and adapt. I am not expert on cricket or batting but the only thing I picked up/learned from Inzy and YK was that everytime they got a hundred and were asked how they went about it, they always had the same answer "I just tried to stay at the wicket". And when you do that, suddenly it looks like the pitch flattened out. Then a wicket falls, a new guy comes in and the pitch is the same again.
Yea exactly. You need to be looking to score runs in order to make mistakes to lose your wicket. If you instead look to occupy the crease and just put the bad balls away, batting looks easy.

No one really has the patience anymore for such old-school style batting though. And some take it to the other extreme - getting into their shell and just blocking everything without putting all the bad balls away.

Batting isn't easy.