• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in England

Should Freddy be included in team for the second Test?

• Total voters

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
KP says that Harmison should have got MOTM. He bowled well, but it's never going to go to someone who got I think 5 wickets in the match

Flip.

Cricket Spectator
He's an Aussie, don't worry, you'll get to this place :D
Ah right yeah, should of looked at the location. Well considering the amount of retirements the ozzy's have had in the past year or so, next year will be very interesting.

I personally can see a new England appearing, well providing KP's batting doesn't collapse. Which I don't think us english don't have to worry about. :laugh:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Ah right yeah, should of looked at the location. Well considering the amount of retirements the ozzy's have had in the past year or so, next year will be very interesting.

I personally can see a new England appearing, well providing KP's batting doesn't collapse. Which I don't think us english don't have to worry about. :laugh:
:|

Would be more worried about your tail starting at #6 than the recent retirements in Australian cricket tbh.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Was a good day out. Rather flat atmosphere tbh - the fact that the Mexican Waves started during the one period (147/3) when it threatened to get interesting with one more wicket rather pissed me off - but that takes my tally of wickets seen in Test cricket to seven in three days of the live stuff... should go watch us bat more often...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
whats that supposed to mean? you not a fan of possibly the best captain this country has ever seen?
Possibly? Very little "possibly" about it, IMO.

However, as great a captain as he was, his batting was shot to pieces, and has been for a couple of years, ever since his injury. Didn't deserve his place at three.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was a good day out. Rather flat atmosphere tbh - the fact that the Mexican Waves started during the one period (147/3) when it threatened to get interesting with one more wicket rather pissed me off - but that takes my tally of wickets seen in Test cricket to seven in three days of the live stuff... should go watch us bat more often...
Which three days? If that's three days of England batting it sounds like a whip round may be in order for the Ashes.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Are you suggesting that he was the best English captain of all time? Highly debateable IMO, I'd rate Jardine and Brearly as better than Vaughan.
I'm suggesting exactly that. I don't think captaining England has ever been as difficult a job as it is now, and I think Vaughan did it better than anyone could possibly have hoped. Remember that great captains like Jardine and Brearley didn't have to deal with cricket all year round, featuring twelve to fifteen Tests a year, plus dozens of ODIs and Twenty20 games; they got to go back to their counties frequently and get some relief from the England captaincy, plus to get some runs; they didn't have to deal with constant media attention and the pressure of not having won the Ashes in ages, plus the pressure of succeeding another respected captain in Hussain, with a relatively young side in place.

Captaining England is a 24/7/365 job in today's day and age, and there are a myriad of off-field factors that contribute to how good a captain is. Vaughan's achievements as captain in moulding a mediocre side into an Ashes-winning one should not be underestimated.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
I'd have Brearley ahead of Vaughan, purely as a skipper.

Brearley was such a good captain that, despite the side carrying such a poor batsman (ie himself) he still had a very good record as England captain. Unlike Brearley however, Vaughan's captaincy, whilst very good indeed, was never good enough to make up for his being a liability in the side with the bat IMO.

IMO, despite Brearley's poor batting, he still merited his place in the side as captain because his captaincy more than counter-balanced his deficiencies with the bat. Simply put, I don't think that was the case with Vaughan.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Jardine for me - no one else could have brought back the Ashes in 32/33 - afterwards he was treated as a pariah by those that appointed him for winning yet made his point by taking his only test century off an attack that caused the great Hammond to say he'd walk away from the game if it carried on

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Jardine for me - no one else could have brought back the Ashes in 32/33 - afterwards he was treated as a pariah by those that appointed him for winning yet made his point by taking his only test century off an attack that caused the great Hammond to say he'd walk away from the game if it carried on
Yes yes yes yes yes. Jardine was The Man and, as you say, not only withstood Constantine and Martindale (IIRC) purveying the noble art of Fast Leg Theory but also scored a magnificent hundred against them

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes yes yes yes yes. Jardine was The Man and, as you say, not only withstood Constantine and Martindale (IIRC) purveying the noble art of Fast Leg Theory but also scored a magnificent hundred against them
Indeed. A fantastic punchline to the entire fiasco. Jardine gets it just for that.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
England by 6 wickets for mine
Uncanny.

It wouldn't have been England if we didn't have a wobble, but that was as close to a cake-walk as I can remember. Nice to see Colly back in something approaching form and kudos I suppose to the selectors for bringing him back. They haven't had a great series, so it's nice they get one right.

Think we've seen the end of Ambrose as a test player for now, a test average below 25 just isn't acceptable for a keeper nowadays I'm afraid &, if we're going to persist with a five-man attack, I think (sigh) Prior is probably the candidate who adds the best balance unless we call up the 65-year-old Pothas.