• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official*** South Africa in England 2017

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
With the Windies coming in August/September Mo will probably end up with an amazing summer. Should give his record a nice boost before he goes at 70s in Australia.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well he will get smashed in Australia of that there is no doubt but this summer may mean that he limits the damage to his average and might keep it under 40 after the ashes.

Currently just under 38 which is more than acceptable for his role in the side given he averages nearly 35 with the bat.

flibbertyjibber

Isn't his role the lead spinner though, now?
In a side where the strength is the pace attack and the fact the next 3 series after this one will be won by the pace attacks then he has a role of filling in and then attacking on the few occasions the pitch allows. Suits him fine then that he can bat freely at 7 or 8 too.

morgieb

With the Windies coming in August/September Mo will probably end up with an amazing summer. Should give his record a nice boost before he goes at 70s in Australia.
I honestly could see him having OK-ish figures in Australia. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes wickets, anyway.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Thought Malan might have got a few overs on the final day, more than useful leggie, but I guess with all the leftie-ness they didn't feel the need.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Four golden ducks in an innings is impressive.
I believe it's the first time it's happened in test match cricket. At least I think that's what the bloke in front of me said.

And Moeen's was the first test hat-trick at the Oval, which came as a surprise. Very nearly the 2nd, after TRJ missed out by a matter of inches.

Nice day out for me and wpjunior at The Oval today. I think he prefers the 2020 games, which is a shame, but I really enjoyed it. Love listening to the 3rd umpire for the reviews, btw.

91Jmay

International Coach
2003 - The last time an England bowler took eight or more wickets on Test debut. James Kirltey took 8 for 114, also against South Africa, at Trent Bridge. Toby Roland-Jones' match figures of 8 for 129 are the best by a debutant at the Oval since 1965.
Fair buyer beware on TRJ, although to be fair to Kirtley he would have been a decent Test player without injuries and action issues. I'd bet he'd be in our current Test side.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
To google!

~

You're right, he actually only played in the winter.

I suppose the interesting thing about the SA series in 2003 is that if you look at our attack it looks great, but Jimmy, Harmy and Fred were some way from being the finished articles.
Hence Kirtley and Bicknell appearing.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Fair buyer beware on TRJ, although to be fair to Kirtley he would have been a decent Test player without injuries and action issues. I'd bet he'd be in our current Test side.

No chance in hell, with the ECB's somewhat draconian worry over actions. Kirtley was never the same when he remodelled, and he'd be more prone to be sent to Bowler probation nowadays. Also as others have said that wasn't a particular great time for English fast bowling. We've at least got Broad, Anderson, Stokes now. Nostalgia for that time seems a little misplaced.

I'm making no particular judgement on TRJ. I didn't think he looked a Test bowler before, but conversely I felt he deserved his chance simply because one of the great County Championship performances in recent history throughout last season, it was not given enough praise really on a dead lords pitch most of the time, he deserved an England cap for it at least.

He's done better than I could have thought though, outbowled some handy performers in this match, and even if the pitch was perfect for him, he couldn't do much better. Showed he could bat a bit too. Bayliss mentioned that one thing about him is he bowls very straight, which is often a rarity nowadays, so we'll see

Last edited: