• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Fat Gray doesn't look happy, but that's fair enough for mine. Not outside the line and not really playing a shot.

Broke the back of the target anyway.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
People are discharged from hospitals all the time AMA.
Ah, but if I own a construction company, I'd want medical clearance, regardless of what the employee says. Even more than that, even if he says he can play, if the physio doesn't think so, he doesn't play. No one can force him to get treatment, which is what AMA is about, but that doesn't mean he is entitled to play.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, but if I own a construction company, I'd want medical clearance, regardless of what the employee says. Even more than that, even if he says he can play, if the physio doesn't think so, he doesn't play. No one can force him to get treatment, which is what AMA is about, but that doesn't mean he is entitled to play.
You're talking about what you'd want, I'm talking about the way it is mate. If you find any info that suggests in the middle of a match, a player can be forced by the physio or captain to not take the field of play, I'd be shocked. I mean, technically Ponting is the captain so could just not bowl Lee if he thought it was best but I doubt there'd be any rules saying so.

Top_Cat

I would. He's desperate now, barring a good performance in this innings he's staring down the barrel of being dropped. At his age that could quite possibly mean the end of his career.

That fear will be more than enough to keep him going.
In that context, yeah I'd probably be stupid enough to do the same. haha Doesn't make it any less a good idea.

susudear

Banned
Easy to say

I have watched every ball of this match

Ponting the batsman 9/10

Ponting the captain 3/10

I watched last night and thought at least one thing they would have learned is to put someone at third man:wacko: But no lets wait until there have been nine fours and then put someone down there:@
Ponting had no option but to attack with such a target. He placed the men in slips and gully to induce one from Smith, but Smith was simply awesome in placing through them and along the ground. Credit to the batsman.

JimmyGS

First Class Debutant
Yeeesss! Back in it! :unsure:
:huh:

I really don't think Mckenzie deserves to be dropped. A ****load of runs this season, had some temporarily bad form recently, but seems out of it now. Add to this that the bowler he's had the most trouble with won't be playing the next game.

Drop Bouncher for Prince, then give the gloves to De Villiers possibly?

Athlai

Not Terrible

I really don't think Mckenzie deserves to be dropped. A ****load of runs this season, had some temporarily bad form recently, but seems out of it now. Add to this that the bowler he's had the most trouble with won't be playing the next game.

Hey where did that what's Amla done lately go?

Yeah but all the Saffies have done so well its hard to drop any.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
You're talking about what you'd want, I'm talking about the way it is mate. If you find any info that suggests in the middle of a match, a player can be forced by the physio or captain to not take the field of play, I'd be shocked. I mean, technically Ponting is the captain so could just not bowl Lee if he thought it was best but I doubt there'd be any rules saying so.
I admire Lee's balls, but I do think there's a case for protecting a player from himself sometimes. No quick worth his salt is going to worry about a bit of pain (or, indeed, a lot of it) but if the stress-fracture/near stress-fracture is bad enough to require an op bowling on it isn't going to improve it, surely? Not bowling Lee would be like the boxer's corner chucking in the towel to save their man from unnecessary punishment.

Lunch, anyway. Not convinced I'm gonna make it til the resumption.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would. He's desperate now, barring a good performance in this innings he's staring down the barrel of being dropped. At his age that could quite possibly mean the end of his career.

That fear will be more than enough to keep him going.
He's up against it to produce a good performance when injured.

Son Of Coco

That was sarcasm my friend. :sleep:

susudear

Banned
No

****ING HELL GOD DAMMIT WHY THE R****WEM; FJLSDABJFGNSDA;GVNFSDQVG

I would honestly rather see City relegated (and be forced to watch every match. twice.) than this.

David Hussey's brand new baggy green should be on its way to Sydney aws.
Don't spam the forum. If you cannot stand the freefall of Aussies this summer, go to a pub and drown all your sorrows there, if you are under-age, well, you are too bad at cursing then.

Top_Cat

I admire Lee's balls, but I do think there's a case for protecting a player from himself sometimes. No quick worth his salt is going to worry about a bit of pain (or, indeed, a lot of it) but if the stress-fracture/near stress-fracture is bad enough to require an op bowling on it isn't going to improve it, surely? Not bowling Lee would be like the boxer's corner chucking in the towel to save their man from unnecessary punishment.

Lunch, anyway. Not convinced I'm gonna make it til the resumption.
You're talking about the way it probably should be. But, without knowing for sure, I highly doubt it is. I agree, players are absolutely the worst judges of how well they're going ("I'm fine skip, give me one more over, all I need to get this guy!", etc.). Fast bowlers especially so.

duffer

Bloody hell, 6 months for Watto. It was ridiculous before, just hope the selectors don't cut their losses and try someone else.

susudear

Banned
No way

SA might rest Ntini and another batsman (Kallis?) to give Prince and Tsotsobe a chance to excel in a dead rubber. However the temptation to go for the 3-0 kill and No.1 test rank could make Smith retain the same XI.