• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if anyone asked Duckett if he thought that Stokes’ batting indicated that he had conceded “defeat” after the “win” that had preceded him?
No, he said "That's just the way Stokesy plays, likes to take some time to play himself in" which - while I agree is typical of Stokes' best performances - is pretty hilarious when you look at the approach he's typically taken in the past year.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Bullying tail enders. Incredibly frustrating that he keeps getting selected, especially in conditions like this
With his pace and height, he's a nightmare for most touring batsmen in Australia, but yeah have to question how he's getting picked for a series in England where his lack of control is way more likely to get punished.

Spark

Global Moderator
With his pace and height, he's a nightmare for most touring batsmen in Australia, but yeah have to question how he's getting picked for a series in England where his lack of control is way more likely to get punished.
There was a reason they barely picked him in 2019! It's like they've forgotten their own lessons.

Mind you, I'd still have preferred Starc over Peter ****ing Siddle.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There was a reason they barely picked him in 2019! It's like they've forgotten their own lessons.

Mind you, I'd still have preferred Starc over Peter ****ing Siddle.
They've got tailor-made perfect-for-English-conditions Michael Neser sitting out this time. And he's in excellent batting form too.

Anyway if Starc keeps bowling like this for the remainder of the game, after his efforts in the India game as well, surely he has to finally be shown the door for a bit? Or at least save him for drier surfaces

Spark

Global Moderator
They've got tailor-made perfect-for-English-conditions Michael Neser sitting out this time. And he's in excellent batting form too.

Anyway if Starc keeps bowling like this for the remainder of the game, after his efforts in the India game as well, surely he has to finally be shown the door for a bit? Or at least save him for drier surfaces
Today was a drier surface, that's the issue. He shouldn't have been picked on the basis that Day 1 conditions were so much more Neser/Boland-type conditions, but Day 2 were absolutely the sort of conditions where Starc in theory is more useful and he was dismal anyway. He's a swing bowler who was barely trying to swing the ball.

ParwazHaiJunoon

First Class Debutant
They've got tailor-made perfect-for-English-conditions Michael Neser sitting out this time
But these are not typical Eng conditions. Anderson & Robinson have also been less effective on these tailor-made Bazball pitches.
Tongue out-bowled Anderson (though Anderson was economical). You need pace+height on these sort of pitches to create chances.
Aus had a young quick on recent India tour (apparently he is injured). He would have been more effective here instead of Boland / Neser.

Last edited:

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Even with all the final hour madness, looks like England managed to sneak ahead today...with Bairstow yet to bat, they should be able to take the lead from here...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
But these are not typical Eng conditions. Anderson & Robinson have also been less effective on these tailor-made Bazball pitches.
Tongue out-bowled Anderson (though Anderson was economical). You need pace+height on these sort of pitches to create chances.
Aus had a young quick on recent India tour (apparently he is injured). He would have been more effective here instead of Boland / Neser.
Tongue in for Anderson sounds good.

Gob

International Coach
Doing a rewatch of the session so seeing a lot of it. Like wtaf was Duckett doing within sight of his ton? Brook was a lucky lad early on too.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised Aus stopped it after a set period of time. Against India they've burned themselves out doing it for hours on end.

So now both sides are going into the last three days on what looks like a pancake with no frontline spinner in either side. lol it's Keystone Cops stuff.

Also, any chance of England having to actually bat under properly heavy skies this series for any length of time?
Yeah

Australia are in a far worse position now than they were at the stumps on day 1 but not sure I can put any blame on any one given the contrasting condition they had to bat and field. If you be ultra critical, you can criticise Head and Green throwing away wickets to Root and even Smith leaving some runs in the middle but the fact remains that the entirety of their innings was played under overcast conditions and 416 is a monumental effort

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Today was a drier surface, that's the issue. He shouldn't have been picked on the basis that Day 1 conditions were so much more Neser/Boland-type conditions, but Day 2 were absolutely the sort of conditions where Starc in theory is more useful and he was dismal anyway. He's a swing bowler who was barely trying to swing the ball.
That’s got to be a tactical decision hasn’t it?

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah

Australia are in a far worse position now than they were at the stumps on day 1 but not sure I can put any blame on any one given the contrasting condition they had to bat and field. If you be ultra critical, you can criticise Head and Green throwing away wickets to Root and even Smith leaving some runs in the middle but the fact remains that the entirety of their innings was played under overcast conditions and 416 is a monumental effort
Most of my issue is that middle session yesterday when for some reason we persisted in bowling half volley after half volley despite there being demonstrably no movement and no real bounce in the surface that would have made such a length remotely viable.

Shady Slim

International Coach
Someone would have probably brought this up earlier in the thread but can’t miss a chance to remind people this is not the first time England have been undone by the bouncer at Lords

reading back i was surprised to see discussions of wagnerball come up before discussions of this majesty