• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test (Lord's, London) 28 June–2 July

Woodster

International Captain
How long did Aus do the short pitched thing for?
I want to say about 15 overs mate, maybe slightly longer than they initially intended but that’s because it was creating plenty of opportunities. It is a risk to overdo it and completely burn out the quicks involved, but it must’ve been tempting to carry on. Had Stokes come in and continued in the same vein maybe they’d have given it a few more overs but it seemed a sensible time to return to a normal less sapping length.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
Seem to say it every day, but another crucial day.

We're 138 behind with 6 wkts left but we've got a pretty long tail.

If Aus bowl well they could take a lead in to the 2nd innings but equally so could we.

It'll be interesting to see how Aus go. Will they look play pretty cautiously to try to bat long to take time out of the game with no Lyon to bowl in the 4th innings.

Or will they play it normally and see where it takes them.

Woodster

International Captain

If Aus bowl well they could take a lead in to the 2nd innings but equally so could we.

It'll be interesting to see how Aus go. Will they look play pretty cautiously to try to bat long to take time out of the game with no Lyon to bowl in the 4th innings.

Yes, every day, or even every session is crucial for one reason or another, I love it! England would love a dominating first session to assume some level of control in the Test? Can I see it? Absolutely not, it may look that way for a period of time before momentum inevitably shifts the other way, that’s what makes this Ashes contest so captivating!

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Went to bed at lunch and expected to see England rack up a good reply so wasn’t surprised at the stumps score

Just saw the highlights

Absolutely brain dead stuff

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
A real blow for Lyon. An Ashes series is the peak of anyone's career and to have that taken away must be devastating.

Strange how things work out - who'd have thought both sides front line spinners would be out of the series by the middle of the 2nd test.

chris.hinton

International Captain
A real blow for Lyon. An Ashes series is the peak of anyone's career and to have that taken away must be devastating.

Strange how things work out - who'd have thought both sides front line spinners would be out of the series by the middle of the 2nd test.
Moeen isn't a big miss.

Woodster

International Captain
I was listening to the radio (and Michael Vaughan in particular) when Crawley was dismissed yesterday. He said how he’d given it away like he always does and that he skipped down the pitch so early it was easy for Lyon to spot and throw it a bit straighter. I agree Crawley seems to always throw it away when he looks in such good touch, hence his average being so underwhelming, but I don’t think he went down the pitch too soon at all. Maybe Lyon was intuitive and sensed Crawley was about to come down or maybe it was a touch straighter than intended. Either way, the only mistake Crawley made (and it is a crucial one) was not getting enough of anything on it, bat, pad, helmet, anything!

mackembhoy

International Debutant
Chris.Hinton's Appriciation File
=========================

Records for Fastest 1000 Test runs : Sir Donald Bradman in 7 test but (13 innings, )
PlayerOppositionGroundMatch DateDebutTimeMatInnsScorecard
H Sutcliffe (ENG)v AustraliaMelbourne13 Feb 192514 Jun 19240y 244d912Test # 161
ED Weekes (WI)v IndiaBrabourne4 Feb 194921 Jan 19481y 14d912Test # 311
DG Bradman (AUS)v EnglandLeeds11 Jul 193030 Nov 19281y 223d713Test # 196
RN Harvey (AUS)v EnglandBrisbane1 Dec 195023 Jan 19482y 312d1014Test # 327
VG Kambli (IND)v West IndiesWankhede18 Nov 199429 Jan 19931y 293d1214Test # 1274
Brooks ( eng)V AustraliaLords08
Dec
30 june
0Y
181d*
914*Test #

Harry Brook (9th test 14 innings*)need 55 more to joins Herbert Sutcliffe (14 innings) & Everton weeks(14) innings

Ind's Gavaskar scored 774 in his 1st 4 test but it took him 7 more test for 226 more runs! ✍
Sutcliffe took 244 days while Brooks if scored 55 today reaches fastest by days 181 days only.
The table doesn't say that though? It says they did it in 12 innings

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
No, he said "That's just the way Stokesy plays, likes to take some time to play himself in" which - while I agree is typical of Stokes' best performances - is pretty hilarious when you look at the approach he's typically taken in the past year.
It is typical of his best performances, and I've been hoping for a long time he'd go back to that way. I hope he sticks with it, which is his best chance of getting the most out of his run output, and also bearing in mind he's pretty close to shot as a bowler.

Spark

Global Moderator

Draw is probably a good result for Aus here, I'd happily see us get out of the game with no injuries and limited fatigue.