• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
anyway

watson
rogers
cowan
clarke
smith
hughes
rads
agar
siddle
harris
pattinson

Flem274*

123/5
You aren't wasting your time if you want a solid number 6, he's played there more than open, so you could argue you were wasting your time playing him there.

Has number 6 suddenly been considered a non-position or summat, wish people would send me the memo. There's been a few decent ones in the past.

Anyway, Compo for JB and Tremmers for Finn, for me.
It's more why bother opening with Root in one game? If you think he's the best opener after Cook (which they must have or they wouldn't have dropped Compton) then dropping him back down the order after two innings and one leg side strangle makes no sense.

Compton possibly being dropped for just one game is pretty lol as well. Getting NZesque with the batting selections.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's more why bother opening with Root in one game? If you think he's the best opener after Cook (which they must have or they wouldn't have dropped Compton) then dropping him back down the order after two innings and one leg side strangle makes no sense.

Compton possibly being dropped for just one game is pretty lol as well. Getting NZesque with the batting selections.
Nah, they were wrong, should rectify it. We had a decent number 6, we don't have now (not just this match why I want JB dropped), with no obvious improvement at opener. No gain at all.

Root can open in a few years, if they really don't fancy Compo, pick someone else, Carberry, Chopra, Moeen, take your pick.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Yes Finn needs to be dropped from the squad completely as a message to him and everybody around. Middlesex have a game starting Wednesday. Let him play that. He needs to decide what he is going to do with his runup and action and stick to it. Too many people have being giving him advise over the last 12 months

Half the problem is that Bresnan is half the bowler he once was. And Onions is meh and going the wrong way as well. They knew Finn hadn't been bowling well and yet Bresnan nor Onions could surpass him for this test

I'd bring in Monty (or maybe Kerrigan) into the squad instead of Finn and might add Rankin or Tremlett to the squad with maybe one of Bres or Onions dropping out.

Can't see there being any chance of Bairstow being dropped for Compton, especially after winning this test. They've made the decision with Compton and they're not going to change it after one test, nor should they

Sadly I think they'll recall Bresnan to the team to stregthen the batting and because his bowling is fairly consistent. Probably makes sense given the alternatives, just can stand him lumbering into bowl at 80mph. I'd go with Onions.

Last edited:

grecian

Yes Finn needs to be dropped from the squad completely as a message to him and everybody around. Middlesex have a game starting Wednesday. Let him play that. He needs to decide what he is going to do with his runup and action and stick to it. Too many people have being giving him advise over the last 12 months

Half the problem is that Bresnan is half the bowler he once was. And Onions is meh and going the wrong way as well. They knew Finn hadn't been bowling well and yet Bresnan nor Onions could surpass him for this test

I'd bring in Monty (or maybe Kerrigan) into the squad instead of Finn and might add Rankin or Tremlett to the squad with maybe one of Bres or Onions dropping out.

Can't see there being any chance of Bairstow being dropped for Compton, especially after winning this test. They've made the decision with Compton and they're not going to change it after one test, nor should they
Well you could say the same about Finn, dogma never a good look.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Why would you reshuffle the order like that though, Cabi? What point does it serve fitting Compton in at 4?
Root is an opener and Compton is a number 3/middle order batsman. If they brought Compton back into open they'd be shuffling Root around anyway. In my eyes, it's less shuffling to just stick Compton in the middle order.

MrPrez

International Debutant
Root is an opener and Compton is a number 3/middle order batsman. If they brought Compton back into open they'd be shuffling Root around anyway. In my eyes, it's less shuffling to just stick Compton in the middle order.
Yeah, I get that, but why not just stick Compton at 6?

theegyptian

Apart from a few games right at the start of his career Compton has batted nearly always in the top 3 probably split 50/50 between opening and at 3.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Apart from a few games right at the start of his career Compton has batted nearly always in the top 3 probably split 50/50 between opening and at 3.
Really? I swore he batted more around 4 or 5 for Middlesex? Maybe I'm thinking of one day cricket, I don't know.

Scaly piscine

Sadly I think they'll recall Bresnan to the team to stregthen the batting and because his bowling is fairly consistent. Probably makes sense given the alternatives, just can stand him lumbering into bowl at 80mph. I'd go with Onions.
Monty has made himself almost unselectable with his form for Sussex. And naturally I wouldn't pick him anyway.

The selectors can **** off with their love affair with Finn. He's going to be a liability all series in these conditions. Onions outbowls him 90+% of the time and is far better suited to the conditions. He has a full range of well honed skills just as Anderson does.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
The only changes I'd make would be dropping Cowan and Finn. I don't think Starc was that bad this game, he bowled some good spells and was basically what you'd expect from Starc which is a potential wicket taker. He bowled two bad spells but that shouldn't discount that if it wasn't for him bowling brilliantly at the start of the second innings and getting Root and Trott Australia wouldn't have gotten anywhere near winning. Overall I think it's important to keep in mind that as much as it was two 10th wicket partnerships that got Australia close, the Bell/Broad partnership was equally game changing and also had a fair bit of good fortune.

Also I don't know how people think they could drop Watson. The Watson/Rogers partnership was hands down the best thing about the batting for Australia in this test aside from one random member of the tail each time.

Assuming Warner isn't available, I'd say Khawaja. And Bresnan for Finn.

theegyptian

Well you could say the same about Finn, dogma never a good look.
The difference is Bairstow did ok, whilst Finn was terrible and lost his captains confidence. Also they clearly weren't sure about Finn pre first test as they selected Onions and Bresnan in the squad. I'm all for continuity but when a players loses all trust of his captain and personal confidence in themselves as seemed to be with Finn a change has to be made.

Pothas

Would pick Onions for Finn and that is it for now. Tremlett definetly one to keep an eye on but would just like a few more matches and wickets for Surrey, not sure how many county games they have in the next few weeks?

Would give Bairstow another test.

grecian

The difference is Bairstow did ok, whilst Finn was terrible and lost his captains confidence. Also they clearly weren't sure about Finn pre first test as they selected Onions and Bresnan in the squad. I'm all for continuity but when a players loses all trust of his captain and personal confidence in themselves as seemed to be with Finn a change has to be made.
JB has been hopeless for a while, not sure that this performance has changed that. Thought he looked all-at-sea most of the time. Needs to score runs for Yorkshire. Root much better in that position.

Look I guess if you thought it was a decent decision to do this originally your going to think it's worth going with. I still see no earthly good it's doing.

I don't care if Root opens for Yorkshire, he looks more comfortable at 6 for England ATM.

LegionOfBrad

International Debutant
Mike Selvey is saying that Tremlett was closer to this test than people think. He is the like for like for Finn along with being better in every way other than fitness.

Onions won't play I don't think unless Jimmy goes down (god forbid)

I'm guessing Bresnan will come in. Bairstow will play but no score at Lords and he's gone. He's not good enough at this stage.

Root should have stayed at 6 bit they won't change it yet.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The 'bowl Jimmeh into the ground' tactic has me majorly worried.

Sure, he's incredibly fit and got through a **** ton of overs last time we were in Australia, but with 9 more Tests we need to seriously manage his workload.