• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I love how the Sky commentators are quick to criticize Strauss' decision to not enforce the follow-on when it's actually the first piece of good captaincy he's shown all day.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
I think Australia might be buoyed by this decision not to follow on. The best thing to see is that the team you are facing have so much respect - read: fear - of you that they are still hesitant about their own success doing well against you. If I were Johnson and the other bowlers, I'd be thinking: "what a bunch of pretenders".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I love how the Sky commentators are quick to criticize Strauss' decision to not enforce the follow-on when it's actually the first piece of good captaincy he's shown all day.
Abso-bloody-lutely.

And now he smacks another piece of rubbish from Hilfenhaus over mid-wicket for four and follows-up with a well-run single - hopefully the tide has turned.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Not enforcing is definitely the right decision for mine. Even if England bat very poorly, they're still likely to have almost two days to bowl Australia out defending 400+, and likely 500+. Conditions are perfect for batting today, and as poorly as Australia batted yesterday, it was a lot tougher then. If Australia did bat well and scored 400+, there'd be a much higher chance of England losing the match.

Personally, supporting Australia, I was hoping Strauss would enforce, but wasn't at all surprised when he didn't. Australia's only hope from here is a bit of rain and some excellent defensive batting on the last two days to salvage a draw, unless England completely fall in a heap in perfect batting conditions on a road.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think Australia might be buoyed by this decision not to follow on. The best thing to see is that the team you are facing have so much respect - read: fear - of you that they are still hesitant about their own success doing well against you. If I were Johnson and the other bowlers, I'd be thinking: "what a bunch of pretenders".
If I were Johnson I'd be worrying about learning again how to hit the cut strip before I tried cod-psychology on myself.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH even if we did collapse for 51 like Ben said, the chase would still probably be close...I guess that's one of the main arguments for enforcing mind you

Craig

World Traveller
What makes you a cricket captaincy expert?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And predictably going on about declaring too late in West Indies, failing yet again to realise that the fault there was not declaring too late but being unable to dismiss a tailender.
And now not even able to get the Tests right - saying the Fourth Test was "the very next game" to the Second Test. :wacko:

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Last thing I'd want if I were England is to give a us half a sniff of chasing a total down because you know Ponting will be hell bent on chasing it down.

aussie tragic

International Captain
Highest 4th Innings score at Lords:

(1) 397 - India in 2002 (Lost when set 567 to win)
(2) 344-1 - West Indies in 1984 (Won)
(3) 329-3 - Australia in 1975 (Chasing 483 so draw)

So England all out for 190 and Aussies set new run chase record of 401 to win :laugh:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Botham is so angry, it's amusing. I personally would have liked to see us enforce but think there were solid arguments either way, don't really see why anyone is getting high and mighty about it tbh

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Botham is so angry, it's amusing. I personally would have liked to see us enforce but think there were solid arguments either way, don't really see why anyone is getting high and mighty about it tbh
Because that's what he does. I don't mind him at all under most circumstances - some hate him regardless - but times like this are the only occasions he really annoys me.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Because that's what he does. I don't mind him at all under most circumstances - some hate him regardless - but times like this are the only occasions he really annoys me.
TBH I enjoy his commentary, especially at times like this, always like to see someone getting passionate about something

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Highest 4th Innings score at Lords:

(1) 397 - India in 2002 (Lost when set 567 to win)
(2) 344-1 - West Indies in 1984 (Won)
(3) 329-3 - Australia in 1975 (Chasing 483 so draw)

So England all out for 190 and Aussies set new run chase record of 401 to win :laugh:
Clearly though Greenidge's Match in 1984 was a case of West Indies being denied the chance to set the unbeatable record for highest fourth-innings chase by England's ineptitude and inability to set a proper 470+ target.