• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's - Aug 12-16 2021

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jadeja’s been accurate but toothless this series. He had a bit of assistance at Lords but didn’t bowl well enough. Maybe it’s the finger or I’m just being too harsh but I expected more.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No. It takes care of over rate.
A team with 4 man pace attack will struggle to complete 80 overs in a day.
I think what he means is that the quicker he completes his overs and the faster the over rate is the lesser rest the quicks get.

sunilz

International Regular
I think what he means is that the quicker he completes his overs and the faster the over rate is the lesser rest the quicks get.
However if the over rate is high then quick bowlers can take their time to complete the overs( in case they are little bit tired )

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
DRS has changed the game for spin. Umpires never gave **** and leg stump didn't exist before it. Even accounting for India's recent fascination with decks that rag square, Jadeja and Ashwin don't have the insane records they have pre-DRS imo. Bowlers were operating with one hand tied behind their backs in the 00s with the worldwide flatter pitch homogenization and no DRS.

I wouldn't be shocked if a 'what if' machine showed blokes who averaged in the 30s like Harbhajan, Panesar, Vettori etc averaged several runs less with universal DRS.
In the end those bowlers probably caught a bit of the tail-end of this. It's not just DRS, it's as soon as TV showed that most of these balls were hitting wickets. I remember Tuffers getting quite angry in comms with some of Monty's wickets which he reckoned he'd have never have got. helped when Umps just stopped that ridiculous playing a shot thing, when the bat was clealy behind the pad, and started giving them out, many bats that was their technique to play any balls pitched outside of the stump.

In the end, once uncovered pitches ended and before hawkeye, conventional finger spinners were screwed for about 30 years. Bad pitches in England for instance didn't help as it just meant seam heavy attacks, same with New Zealand.

Yeah some help on the subcontinent, but not generally the faster spinning pitches of today.

Spark

Global Moderator
Jadeja’s been accurate but toothless this series. He had a bit of assistance at Lords but didn’t bowl well enough. Maybe it’s the finger or I’m just being too harsh but I expected more.
Yeah Jadeja's bowling has basically been what you feel Jadeja's bowling should be like in these conditions, but often hasn't.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
That bumrah cutter was insane. Looks better with each replay. Amazing to get it to pitch in line and cut back from that angle.
Yeah, it was not even yorker length (on first viewing I thought it was seeing how plumb in front he hit the batsman). On replays you can also see much it cut in; Robinson's bat was good 6 inches away from the ball when he got hit in the pads.

Window

U19 Debutant

You can watch with CC if you don't speak Tamil.

Also, filmed by Rishabh Pant. :)
Thanks for sharing. Now I know Shastri does intermittent fasting.

While I realise India batting is right now weaker than their bowling, unless Jadeja makes a higher score than 40s-50s, given the way he’s bowling right now, swapping him out for Ashwin would not be a bad call.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Oh he did completely fine for the role he actually had in the game, i.e. 5th holding bowler who asks some different questions and keeps it tight. But it wasn't bowling that made you go "yeah this is a bloke that averages 24 in Tests".
Yeah, pretty much seems up my thoughts too.

Given the glaring inadequacies of our batting (Root excepted) I think Jadeja is probably the best shout for the next test too. Ashwin currently is clearly the better test bowler (unless he's somehow forgotten how to bowl since we tour earlier this year) but I don't think any spinner is going to be required to bowl out our current XI on a wearing pitch given India's current seam attack, which is (pretty much unarguably) their best ever.

Jadeja's there if the quicks need a rest and his batting is probably superior to Ravi's, so he's a good fit for the conditions and the oppo.