• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lord's - Aug 12-16 2021

Shri

Mr. Glass

As was expected, when it was Jasprit Bumrah’s turn to bat in the Indian second innings, close-in fieldsmen, led by wicketkeeper Jos Buttler, had a real go at him. The Indian cricketer had a verbal altercation with Buttler, which was soon followed by pacemen Ollie Robinson and Mark Wood also aiming for his head almost all of their deliveries.

Anderson did not directly have a go at Bumrah, but presumably told Robinson and Wood to target him. But that hurt England only, as Bumrah managed to play a vital knock of 34 without ever having his outside or inside edge under threat.

The matter did not settle there, of course, as when Anderson finally came on to bowl to Bumrah, the Indian is learnt to have taken a sly dig at him by reminding him of his age, experience and how he was not the most comfortable playing his bowling.

“One sixty Test matches and crying, … bowl slow,” Bumrah is supposed to have told his rival while standing at the non-striker’s end as Anderson walked back to his mark.

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ashwin's off-spin is probably superior to Venkat or Prasanna. But Bedi's SLA probably superior to Jadeja, and the the current side don't have a wrist-spinner like Chandra.
I don't buy that Bedi was better than Jadeja at all. And in any case if we go back to the original argument the collective bowling attack is better.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I don't buy that Bedi was better than Jadeja at all. And in any case if we go back to the original argument the collective bowling attack is better.
Totally agree with your second point, and I think I said as much somewhere back in this thread. I was just replying to someone's suggestion that the current spinners are better than the guys from the early 1970s. As for Jaedja vs. Bedi, no idea really. I'm probably falling back on my historic assumption about how good Bedi was because I watched him in my formative years. Others may be able to provide a good reason by Jadeja's better, which is fine so long as they offer something better than his average being a few ticks lower.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As for Jaedja vs. Bedi, no idea really. I'm probably falling back on my historic assumption about how good Bedi was because I watched him in my formative years. Others may be able to provide a good reason by Jadeja's better, which is fine so long as they offer something better than his average being a few ticks lower.
He only said he wasn't convinced Bedi was better though, not that Jadeja was better. It feels like Bedi should be better but I don't think there's a coherent argument for why.

I'm reminded of the Old Trafford test in 2008 when I was convinced Vettori would outbowl Panesar, but the opposite happened. It's a grim reality of test cricket that for all we talk about craft and flight and intelligence, usually the better spinner is just the guy who spins it harder. Jadeja being ~as good as Bedi feels like a flaw in the game.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
He only said he wasn't convinced Bedi was better though, not that Jadeja was better. It feels like Bedi should be better but I don't think there's a coherent argument for why.

I'm reminded of the Old Trafford test in 2008 when I was convinced Vettori would outbowl Panesar, but the opposite happened. It's a grim reality of test cricket that for all we talk about craft and flight and intelligence, usually the better spinner is just the guy who spins it harder. Jadeja being ~as good as Bedi feels like a flaw in the game.
Ideally we need someone who knows what they're looking at and has seen plenty of both of them bowling. JBMAC is probably our best bet on CW. Beyond that, someone like Boycott would be instructive. Maybe Gavaskar, but I suspect he'd be hugely biased towards his former team-mate.

Uppercut

Ideally we need someone who knows what they're looking at and has seen plenty of both of them bowling. JBMAC is probably our best bet on CW. Beyond that, someone like Boycott would be instructive. Maybe Gavaskar, but I suspect he'd be hugely biased towards his former team-mate.
I'd be pretty surprised if you can find anyone who's seen both and doesn't think Bedi was better. He looked sooo much better.

It'd be interesting to hear what they're like to play against. Nobody has much respect for flat, pacy spinners, but a lot of batsmen really don't enjoy facing them either.

Bijed

International Regular

I'm not sure I fully agree - ironically Panesar is an example of someone who could spin the ball a long way but was one-dimensional and lost his place to Swann who didn't turn it as much, but was a cannier bowler. But you're right that if you don't turn the ball much, you're going to be very limited in wicket taking potential unless you routinely have very helpful conditions. Equally, you need to do more than just turn the ball a lot to be a really good test spinner - same as being a 95mph scattergun is worth nothing beyond getting people excited

Shri

Mr. Glass
there's more to it like flight and drift, not just turn and smarts

bhajji could rip it but faded away when pitches didn't turn. ashwin on the other hand is aging like fine wine as a spinner and is taking the pitch out of the equation abroad and generally takes wickets, especially over the last two years or so

Uppercut

there's more to it like flight and drift, not just turn and smarts

bhajji could rip it but faded away when pitches didn't turn. ashwin on the other hand is aging like fine wine as a spinner and is taking the pitch out of the equation abroad and generally takes wickets, especially over the last two years or so
Drift comes from the revs too though.

I would have said Swann got more revs than Panesar. Gave it a proper tweak for an offie.