• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Season 9 Discussions Thread

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Nice to be picked in the one-dayer, as well as the five-dayer. Promotion to no. 6 in the order for the one-dayer ... should be interesting

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Red team for first 5 day friendly:

H Moerk (wk)
J Stedman
G Dobson
I Markus
M Robbins (c)
K Iyer
G Nayak
S Bennett
A Cameron
D Watt
D Kennett

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Dissapointing to miss out on my first Red Cap, but I'm sure I'll get a run in the other match.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
CW Blue
RGEWS Cribb
LA Camps (C)
SE Fuller
MW DeSilva
A Crampton
D Jellett (wk)
SC Popat
MJC Currie
AAA Collins
NL Patrick
TJ Demeza

12th Man: BL Wilshere
13th Man: TC Halsey
Just to check, am I in the first-choice line-up?

PY

International Coach
If you read a few pages back in the Blue thread mate, we've been dropped to ascertain what the side will be when the internationals are away which I believe includes yourself.

Hoggy31

International Captain
Hmmm, Very disappointed not to be selected, considering my pretty good performance last season, hopefully this is only because of rotation

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Daily Blast Season 9 Preview

Cricket Web Red

Led by the charismatic and controversial veteran Marc Robbins, the Cricket Web Reds will present one of the most well-balanced teams in the Development League this season.

An outstanding and experienced pace duo of Dave Watt and David Kennett, boasting 790 First Class wickets between them, leads the charge. Supporting are the young firebrands of Season 8 – Nick Borcich and Andy Cameron – whose spirit and pace promise for a massive future.

Complementing nicely is the spin of the promising Sean Bennett, who enters the season on the verge of 100 career scalps. Spinning the ball the other way is young Loganathan, heading into his first full season after a solid offseason.

The batting also makes an impression on paper. Centred around the Norwayese determination of Haakon Moerk and steady strokeplay of the skipper, characters such as Ian Markus and Rob Dauth add aggression and fire to proceedings.

Returning to the Dev League, Rich Langley will try to re-establish himself as a reliable top order batsman in the system. Providing he does so, it will inevitably be a huge asset to the team.

Young Kenny Dobson and Jamee Gray find themselves with a bit to prove, as they stand in with modest career records, but a lot of talent. Season 9 may be the time when they truly push on to the next level in their careers. Gray’s initial aim in doing so will be to reach 3000 FC runs, as he’s just 113 runs off.

Sophomores Kartik Iyer and James Stedman showed promise in their rookie stints, but largely seemed underdone against the quality of bowling. In offseason cricket the hope is that sufficient adjustments were made and will pay off in episode two of their careers.

Perhaps the wildcard of the squad is Gaurav Nayak. An allrounder of immense spirit and promise, we wait to see how much he learns and applies throughout what is essentially his rookie season. Undoubtedly his solid batting and more-than-handy seam bowling will ensure he fits in nicely.

Daily Blast 5D Prediction: Slow start, strong finish – depending on how well the Reds can maintain their confidence through the start of the season will determine how much of a contender they are at the end.

Daily Blast 5D Batsman Pick: Rob Dauth – after a brilliant debut season, Dauth headed to the subcontinent with the A team, where he learned to cope with quality spin and shone with 2 centuries. That experience will hopefully see him pressing on further up the ranks of top class batsmen.

Daily Blast 5D Bowler Pick: Sean Bennett – amidst the hype of the Red pace attack, one man may be the key to success, and that man is a legspinner. How well Sean Bennett can complement the fire of Watt, Kennett, Borcich and Cameron will determine how good the Red attack is.

Daily Blast Point of Interest: Jamee Gray’s adjustment to his new uniform.

Last edited:

Hoggy31

International Captain
Nice read there, Well done Liam. Keep it up and btw which forum member is Rich Langley?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Blue

A powerhouse of two seasons ago, Blue struggled through most of Season 8, prone to shocking collapses and shockingly ineffective bowling. Now Liam Camps leads a similar-looking, yet more confident squad.

Simon Fitzsimmons closes in on 9000 First Class runs, whilst Andrew Cloete pushes on toward the 10,000 mark, as the experience and quality within the batting ranks is readily apparent. Not to be forgotten is the solid class of Peter Young, who passed 8000 career runs with the Cricket Web XI in India.

Hardened by a season of cricket, Blue also boasts the youth of Robert Cribb, Dinu DeSilva, Ben Wilshere and Alex Crampton. All will have a part to play, with A team player DeSilva possibly emerging as the leader of the four.

A big contender for the 5D glove duties, Dylan Jellett stands just 76 runs short of 3000 in his FC career, whilst also boasting over 100 dismissals. Young Crampton will push hard for his share of duties, however.

The bowling attack is a rather mixed bag. Nath Patrick will be desperate to recapture the form that forced him to the head of the class as the leader of the Blue pace attack – the same form that eluded him tragically during Season 8. He will be in good company, however, as the reputation of Travis Demeza sets him up for a season under huge media scrutiny. Indeed, the best placed of the seamers is Adam Collins, whose unassuming style and lack of pace has driven a quiet reputation and undermined a fine career record.

Allrounders Sudeep Popat, John Currie and Sean Fuller will fight amongst each other for spots in the lineup. Popat stands with the most outstanding record of the bunch, but Sean Fuller’s maturity during Season 8 places him nicely to press on in his sophomore season. Currie is a bit of an unknown factor, though he made a good impression during his offseason cricket in America.

The wildcard is undoubtedly Tom Halsey. The legspinner boasts an outstanding record, but struggled to impose himself on the opposition during Season 8. A very disappointing tour of India with the senior side was followed by a self-imposed break from cricket, as Halsey opted out of Club Cricket consideration. Rested and composed, we wait to see how much of a force he can be in Season 9.

Daily Blast 5D Prediction: Batting fun, bowling grind – the batting is good enough to score big frequently, but the bowling may be tested as they try to exorcise the demons of last season.

Daily Blast 5D Batsman Pick: Simon Fitzsimmons – an irresistible presence in Season 8, the veteran looked totally out of sorts with the XI in India. Now he enters Season 9 with a massive point to prove.

Daily Blast 5D Bowler Pick: Sean Fuller – with all the talent to do so, Camps will hope that Fuller can be Flintoffesque presence in the lineup, whereby he can bat in the middle order, whilst adding crucially to the seam attack.

Daily Blast Point of Interest: Nath Patrick’s rebound effort.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

H Moerk (wk)
J Stedman
G Dobson
I Markus
M Robbins (c)
K Iyer
G Nayak
S Bennett
A Cameron
D Watt
D Kennett
Interesting to see a particular Rob Dauth absent from the line-up. Being protected from Demeza, perhaps?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Cricket Web Green

A team of experience in various areas, the Greens are, on paper, a formidable opponent. Still, there seems to have been a shift from the extremely confident outfit of last season, as Andrew Garven and his men try to match the hype.

Potent as you like, the bowling attack is lead by the outstanding seam talent of Nathan Hoy and Xavier Rose. Both having played international cricket, and experienced enough to accomplish big things. In a spin dominated attack, the only other seam options come from allrounders Sajith and Malone as well as the explosive Bryce Cunningham.

Cunnigham had an outstanding rookie season, but took his game to an unbelievable new level in the offseason, when he first imposed himself on Indian and Pakistani bowlers for Cricket Web A, before absolutely destroying allcomers in Club Cricket in America.

Focussing on the spin portion, Tarick Weber will have to lead from the front, as Rai and young Jennings push on in support. With the guiding hand of experience, Reuben Verghese’s influence is not to be underestimated either.

The batting too poses great depth, as none other than the incumbent Cricket Web XI captain Brendon Goff is amongst an experienced bunch. He boasts over 6000 First Class runs, a mark which Craig Walsh is within 100 runs of reaching. Also quite accomplish is Green skipper Garven, who runs close to 5000 FC runs.

Anthony Lezama is the main ‘keeper of the squad and truly came of age in Season 8 with the bat. Having had very modest returns to the point, Lezama missed most of the season through injury, then played superbly in the middle order upon his return. The form carried him to his maiden selection to the CW ‘A’ team. His composure with the bat this time around will be a focal point of all Green supporters.

Doing the backup glovework is Ryan Verghese who returns to CW Cricket after a long period of exile. A sharp and tidy ‘keeper, RT Verghese’s batting is not quite demanding of front line status as of yet. Still, he's a useful man to turn to, as he undoubtedly will be at some point this season.

In her debut season, and as a rare female player in CW Cricket, Pooja Bharat has a point to prove in the middle order. Not only does she face rookie pressures, but also a stigma regarding women and cricket. Rounding off the batting are familiar names Malone, Feeney, RG Verghese and Sajith, all allrounders with impressive potential with the bat. Verghese and Malone are, however, by far the more accomplished players and will be needed to truly impose themselves upon oposition bowlers for Green to be successful.
Daily Blast 5D Prediction: The frontrunning champions – a squad with so much potential that a good confident start could see them running away with the season.

Daily Blast 5D Batsman Pick: Bryce Cunningham – though titled an allrounder, the impact of Cunningham down the order can turn any match on its head. Clean and hard hitting may be just what is needed for Green to impose dominance upon the rest of the Dev teams.

Daily Blast 5D Bowler Pick: Bryce Cunningham – as with the bat, much is expected of Cunningham with the red cherry in his hand. As the clear choice of third seamer in the team, he will truly have to step up and match the hype.

Daily Blast Point of Interest: Bryce Cunningham facing the expectations.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:

H Moerk (wk)
J Stedman
G Dobson
I Markus
M Robbins (c)
K Iyer
G Nayak
S Bennett
A Cameron
D Watt
D Kennett
Good luck boys, i know you guys will smack the Blues all round the park :D :p

cricketboy29

International Regular
marc71178 said:

H Moerk (wk)
J Stedman
G Dobson
I Markus
M Robbins (c)
K Iyer
G Nayak
S Bennett
A Cameron
D Watt
D Kennett
Ah, great, my first red cap, thanks for the selection, marc. Hopefully I can do something with both bat and ball

Robertinho

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Interesting to see a particular Rob Dauth absent from the line-up. Being protected from Demeza, perhaps?
No, I just wasn't selected, as I suspect we're going to see how the new guys go.

(Only 1 debutant there actually - Nayak, who I think will do very well)

Good luck to Gaurav for his first game, and good luck to those playing.

GO REDS :D