• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

ashley bach

International Captain
I guess the one question is what have NZ beaten? SA look like they're saving themselves for the World Cup, Australia are clearly rubbish and I'm not sure how good Argentina are. They were in 'crisis' because they'd just been well beaten by Ireland. I don't think they've played anyone of that calibre since and I suspect the French are going to be even better too.

Argentina are an intriguing E/W bet. I'm still not sure how good they are, but I can definitely see them making the semi finals. Whilst they wouldn't be favourites in that game, it'll be interesting to see what the Big 4 (plus a decent Scotland side) from Pools A & B have left having had to play so much hard rugby against each other.
Make no bones about it but Argentina are a powerful force. They can't win the cup, but they could certainly beat any team on their day.
Problem for them though is maintaining the level required to win three big matches in a row. The best example of this is last year when they beat
the blacks only to lose the next week by 50 points in the rematch.
IMO there are only three teams that can win the cup. Only NZ and SA have won over the past 20 years so they go without saying.
France it appears have timed their run perfectly and with the home advantage this is their best ever chance to pull it off.
Ireland is the 4th best team and I rate them very highly, but to actually win the dance feels a step too far given their cup record history.

ashley bach

International Captain
Argentina will be a very difficult unit to play in the quarters, but you'd be delighted to get them in the semis if that makes any sense.

Molehill

International Captain
Make no bones about it but Argentina are a powerful force. They can't win the cup, but they could certainly beat any team on their day.
Problem for them though is maintaining the level required to win three big matches in a row. The best example of this is last year when they beat
the blacks only to lose the next week by 50 points in the rematch.
IMO there are only three teams that can win the cup. Only NZ and SA have won over the past 20 years so they go without saying.
France it appears have timed their run perfectly and with the home advantage this is their best ever chance to pull it off.
Ireland is the 4th best team and I rate them very highly, but to actually win the dance feels a step too far given their cup record history.
I'd probably agree with that. Ireland have still never won a knockout match at the World Cup. Given they'll have to beat either NZ or France, it's going to be tough again for them. But they'd have more chance against NZ.

I don't think Argentina will even need to be at their best to win a QF against Aus or Wales (or to be honest, even Georgia that group is so poor).

Current odds, France 11-4, NZ 11-4, SA 9-2, Ireland 5-1, England 12-1, Aus 14-1, Arg 28-1

The bets I'd have would be France to win (I think they're the best side anyway plus they have home advantage) and Argentina e/w. I can't see Argentina not making the semis, then it's a one off game which as you say, they can cause any amount of trouble in.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think Argentina will even need to be at their best to win a QF against Aus or Wales (or to be honest, even Georgia that group is so poor).
Don't forget Fiji. Current world rankings:

Australia 8, Wales 9, Fiji 10, Georgia 11

Last edited:

Molehill

International Captain
Don't forget Fiji. Current world rankings:

Australia 8, Wales 9, Fiji 10, Georgia 10
Good point. I really think Wales could miss out here, they're in disarray. Stuff going on behind the scenes, best players retiring, Gatland already saying he wished he hadn't taken the job.

Chin Music

State 12th Man
Argentina have usually been pretty consistent at putting up a show at world cups, and the last one was a rare failure for them in getting past the group stage for many years.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'd probably agree with that. Ireland have still never won a knockout match at the World Cup. Given they'll have to beat either NZ or France, it's going to be tough again for them. But they'd have more chance against NZ.

Current odds, France 11-4, NZ 11-4, SA 9-2, Ireland 5-1, England 12-1, Aus 14-1, Arg 28-1

The bets I'd have would be France to win (I think they're the best side anyway plus they have home advantage) and Argentina e/w. I can't see Argentina not making the semis, then it's a one off game which as you say, they can cause any amount of trouble in.
Dealt with Johnny Frog pretty comfortably in the 6 Nations, tbf.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
All Blacks $1.03 to beat the Wallabies

Wallabies $11 for the win

I am almost tempted to put something on Australia

Almost

ripper868

International Coach
Give him three years and he'll have a great chance of making the Wallabies.
Having said that, he may have some stiff competition from Jeremy Ponsonby-Button of Joeys who's really looking the goods atm.
I've heard bigger things about JPB's cousin, William-Evan (Bill) Huffington-Wandsworth, though he's at Riverview, so hard to determine if the reeal deal or not.

Or win 11 houses and go into real estate.
Well yes, but that's about as likely as my mortgage becoming affordable again before I pay it off.