• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Round of 16 Thread

Howe_zat

Audio File
I reckon the other factor is that the vintage Brazilian teams wore a slightly darker shade of yellow tops - pale gold rather than yellow. These things matter, of course.
The piss yellow is certainly an issue, especially when the fans are lining up with what appears to be suspiciously filled balloons.

1670275102313.png

Looks a lot more threatening than it should.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah they had a group game against Costa Rica in 2002 they won 5-2 from memory that was just a brilliant game of football, but Costa Rica's goals were the sort of goals that you can't be conceding if you want to win a tournament.
That game was so much fun, it's the first game I think of when I think of that tournament. Especially the ridiculous Edmilson goal.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
If ever an opponent justified playing Trippier ahead of Walker on the right side of a back five, this is it. But I don't know whether he will actually. All three of yesterday's midfield look undropable, albeit for differing reasons.
Walker has played against Mbappe directly 4 times in the last two seasons and done it very well. Criminally underrated player.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Brazil, France and England look the best 3 to me. I want to see how Spain goes today they were outstanding game 1 but just went boil after that ,a good game today will bring them back to the above 3 pack

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
Walker has played against Mbappe directly 4 times in the last two seasons and done it very well. Criminally underrated player.
If he was fully matchfit I'd be less worried but he's looked (understandably) rusty these past two games. Looking shaky vs Senegal isn't the most auspicious sign ahead of the France game. Hopefully the games under his belt will help...

Last edited:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Tbf I read it to mean both Tripper at wing back and Walker right of the three.
I'd not considered that. I suppose you drop Hendo for that, then.

Don't personally like England with a back 5 tbh. Would rather they played Phillips over Hendo and use the double pivot as a makeshift extra CB.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'd not considered that. I suppose you drop Hendo for that, then.

Don't personally like England with a back 5 tbh. Would rather they played Phillips over Hendo and use the double pivot as a makeshift extra CB.
While I think sitting back and absorbing pressure to spring a counter (and deny space in behind to Mbappe) is the correct move tactically I don't like a back 5 either. I think it concedes too much and I'm not actually convinced too much by France's midfield. I think 3 in the middle rather than 3 CBs is the way to go.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
While I think sitting back and absorbing pressure to spring a counter (and deny space in behind to Mbappe) is the correct move tactically I don't like a back 5 either. I think it concedes too much and I'm not actually convinced too much by France's midfield. I think 3 in the middle rather than 3 CBs is the way to go.
Did you really need that many words to say "I agree"?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
England's major weakness under Southgate is that they go through long stretches of play where the opponent completely dominates possession and they can't get out. Playing a back 5 makes that worse.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The thing is we don't sit back, absorb and play on the counter. We sit back, give up possession very easily, fail to break with any tempo, and create nothing when up against top class opposition.

Red_Ink_Squid

Cricketer Of The Year
England's major weakness under Southgate is that they go through long stretches of play where the opponent completely dominates possession and they can't get out. Playing a back 5 makes that worse.
Southgate brought in the back 5 as a pragmatic system for 2018 when we had a much more limited squad. Because we did well in that tournament Southgate keeps going back to it against strong sides.

Our squad now is orders of magnitude better in terms of attacking talent. Definitely no need to revert to 5 at the back this time. It'd be undermining our strengths rather than covering for our weaknesses.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southgate brought in the back 5 as a pragmatic system for 2018 when we had a much more limited squad. Because we did well in that tournament Southgate keeps going back to it against strong sides.

Our squad now is orders of magnitude better in terms of attacking talent. Definitely no need to revert to 5 at the back this time. It'd be undermining our strengths rather than covering for our weaknesses.
Yeah I agree. It stopped making sense for England's squad a long time ago, and they've looked much better this tournament for having stuck with a back 4. It's not that it gives them a big tactical edge, it just gets more of their quality players on the pitch in their best positions.