• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Round of 16 Thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That was ****ing outrageous.

They're a bit good offensively. Probably the first Brazil side since 2006 you can say that.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That penalty looked harsh, surprised it wasn’t sent to VAR.
Not how it works.

VAR checks everything, the referee will only go over to the screen if VAR think he's ****ed up to give the illusion it's the onfield ref is making the final decision.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Been trying to decide which was our worst effort and I think Portugal in the 2006 WC probably takes the candle.

From memory only Hargreaves scored?
I seem to remember the penalties against Argentina in 1998 being bad, although that might just be a false memory based on how awful Batty's was.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Haha yep. This feels like watching the mythical Brazil.
In fact it's probably the best since 2002. The 06 vintage was great on paper (Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Kaka) but didn't translate to on field success.

And in the present, how the **** is it not 5?

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
In fact it's probably the best since 2002. The 06 vintage was great on paper (Ronaldo, Adriano, Ronaldinho, Kaka) but didn't translate to on field success.

Yeah wasn't this the 'magic square' or something. That wasn't very magic.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Yeah the 2006 side really wasn't great. They were massive favourites going in and just never looked up to it.

I thought the 2010 and 2018 sides were good enough to have won it but weren't especially stylish, and ended up losing games where they'd been the better team. 2014 side was really quite poor even before getting demolished in the semis.

In 2002 they were outsiders going in and looked so slick in their first game they were immediately made big favourites. Even then they tightened up a lot in the knockouts. But the group stage games were all like this.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah they had a group game against Costa Rica in 2002 they won 5-2 from memory that was just a brilliant game of football, but Costa Rica's goals were the sort of goals that you can't be conceding if you want to win a tournament.

Was there not a change of system post groups that year? I'm sure Brazil went with a 1-11 lineup in the groups but then sacrificed an attacking midfielder for Kleberson (may have been Juninho who got binned, who I think wore 7).

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Haha yep. This feels like watching the mythical Brazil.
Erm, maybe. Don't get me wrong, they are very good, but the mythical sides had an X factor which even these guys don't quite achieve. Any youtube compilation of their greatest goals from the 1982 WC will give you a glimpse. Having said that, the current line-up have a better centre forward and a much better defence and goalkeeper than the class of 82. I can see why so many people have them as favourites to win the thing.

I reckon the other factor is that the vintage Brazilian teams wore a slightly darker shade of yellow tops - pale gold rather than yellow. These things matter, of course.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah they had a group game against Costa Rica in 2002 they won 5-2 from memory that was just a brilliant game of football, but Costa Rica's goals were the sort of goals that you can't be conceding if you want to win a tournament.

Was there not a change of system post groups that year? I'm sure Brazil went with a 1-11 lineup in the groups but then sacrificed an attacking midfielder for Kleberson (may have been Juninho who got binned, who I think wore 7).
Yeah they binned Juninho for Kleberson, who did a great job as a defensive midfielder. Strange because he pretty much went through his entire United career without ever making a tackle.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Would lol so hard if this gets disallowed for offside.

edit: having seen the replay I don't understand why that's stood other than a sympathy vote from the officials.