• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

halba

International 12th Man
imagine we play an attack of
Cummins
Boland
Hazlewood/Neser
Lyon

That would be better than having the 6RPO Starc in there.

halba

International 12th Man
1st test bowling attack

Cummins
Hazlewood(subject to fitness)/ Neser
Boland
Lyon

Keeping things tight is a priority.

Starc only played one game in 2019, eng is way better than then(bazball), he'll leak well over 6 RPO to Ballball.

TimAngas

State Vice-Captain
Just like in the 2019 Ashes I expect all of the pacers in the touring squad will have a role to play, depending on conditions, fitness, and England's approach.

Shady Slim

International Coach
a lot of the talking heads saying boland’s form will create a selection headache between him and haze, which is just stupid. haze has no right to demand a selection when he’s injured all the time and can’t get through a full test.

you could say the only tossup is between starc, who sucks, and haze, if you’re saying starc’s form dip is enough to warrant being dropped. but even then the answer is “michael neser”!

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
From an English point of view, I hope Boland doesn't play - he's just a relentless machine bowling ball after ball in the right area until the batsmen inevitably makes a mistake.

I'd be amazed if he didn't play on Friday. I think the Aussies will go with Starc. His fit and ready to go and whilst he can spray it about a bit, he takes his share of wickets.

If there are no doubts on Hazlewood, he could come in, but it would be a big call to drop Boland.

Gob

International Coach
Its not a reason to keep him (at least shouldn't) but if Hazlewood replaces Starc, lower order batting will look paper thin

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
As Neser is not in the formal 17 man Ashes squad, pretty easy selection for 1st Test

Warner, Khawaja, Labuschagne, Smith, Head, Green, Carey, Starc, Cummins, Lyon, Boland

Hopefully Cummins and Starc shake off the rust shown in WTC final (Hazlewood can play in 2nd Test if Starc gets bazballed)

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
From an English point of view, I hope Boland doesn't play - he's just a relentless machine bowling ball after ball in the right area until the batsmen inevitably makes a mistake.

I'd be amazed if he didn't play on Friday. I think the Aussies will go with Starc. His fit and ready to go and whilst he can spray it about a bit, he takes his share of wickets.

If there are no doubts on Hazlewood, he could come in, but it would be a big call to drop Boland.
Yeah it would be a huge call to play Haze for the first test when you’ve got other options who are fit and have had a gallop in the past six months. Realistically he should be behind all of the other quicks in the squad right now.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Boland is definitely playing IMO.

Aidan11

International Vice-Captain
Boland is the bowler I fear most in the Aussie side.

He'll be their top wicket taker this series.