• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official - Road to Ashes 2023

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
No, the claim is literally that the pitches do not help seam movement, but that the weather does, despite there being no plausible mechanism.
The weather helps the swing.

As I said above I think the main reason there's more seam movement in England is the Duke.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lords - usually a flat deck
Oval - flat as a pancake
Old Trafford - great batting deck
Headingly - moves a bit still a great batting deck
Trent Bridge - moves a bit
Edgbaston - notoriously good batting deck

and you can argue about the non test Decks elsewhere
Perfect for Bazballin'

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Lords - usually a flat deck
Oval - flat as a pancake
Old Trafford - great batting deck
Headingly - moves a bit still a great batting deck
Trent Bridge - moves a bit
Edgbaston - notoriously good batting deck

and you can argue about the non test Decks elsewhere
Fairly sure that at least one if not both of Trent Bridge and Edgbaston have track records of facilitating meme-spells and FM bowling triggered epic collapses over the years. OT also turns more than your every day English wicket

Starfighter

Fairly sure that at least one if not both of Trent Bridge and Edgbaston have track records of facilitating meme-spells and FM bowling triggered epic collapses over the years. OT also turns more than your every day English wicket
Yeah, it's a bull**** assessment. The Lord's pitch in 2019 had more irregular bounce than I've seen on any Australian pitch except the very cracked Perth ones. They've even dug up the top layer because it was too awkward for BazBall. Generally there is more movement first up than elsewhere (expect South Africa) because the pitches are softer and moister, even if they are not grassy.

Molehill

International Captain
Australia were 8 down for 100 at Edgbaston in 2019 before Anderson's injury and Smith's excellence changed the course of the game. Lyon also took his best match figures in England in that game too, a 9fer.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I saw the piece Broad and Anderson did asking AI how to get Smith out at Edgbaston and in general. It's obvious they're still scarred, still traumatized by what he did to them last time. I don't think they've recovered. They're damaged goods. It's done.

Ashes81

State Vice-Captain
I saw the piece Broad and Anderson did asking AI how to get Smith out at Edgbaston and in general. It's obvious they're still scarred, still traumatized by what he did to them last time. I don't think they've recovered. They're damaged goods. It's done.
Obviously that's not correct but even if it was Robinson will get Smith.

Failing that we've got Mo back into the fold, so we've got Smith well covered. 🤔

FBU

International Debutant
:clown:

sphynx

U19 Debutant
Heard a nice statistic today that Moeen would become statistically the worst all rounder of all time with 1 more test.

No non-wicketkeeper with 64+ tests in history will have a worse batting or bowling average than Moeen's 28.29 with the bat and 36.66 with the ball.

Every player in history with 64+ tests betters either his bat or bowling average.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
ChatGPT cricket coaching?

Pothas

Heard a nice statistic today that Moeen would become statistically the worst all rounder of all time with 1 more test.

No non-wicketkeeper with 64+ tests in history will have a worse batting or bowling average than Moeen's 28.29 with the bat and 36.66 with the ball.

Every player in history with 64+ tests betters either his bat or bowling average.
Who uses 64 tests as a cut off?

Starfighter

Who uses 64 tests as a cut off?
He was reading BigFooty, where someone posted that if he plays he'd be level with John Emburey on 64 tests, and Emburey is the only player who's played for that long to have worse batting and bowling averages. He'll go into a class of his own when he plays his 65th.

Last edited:

Ali TT

International Debutant

More accurately he'll be the statistically worst all-rounder to play 64 or more tests. Plenty of worse ones who've played fewer tests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He penned it on the back of a beer coaster in Bristol before being taken into custody for affray