• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarterfinal One: Poland vs Portugal

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Stade Vélodrome, Marseille
Thursday 30 June, kick off 21.00 CET (convert it yourself Brits, everyone else has to)

Poland: 3 Euro appearances (2008- ), first time in play-offs, twice 3rd placed at World Cups (1974, 1982)
Portugal: 7 Euro appearances (1984-), 7 times in quarterfinals, 4 times in semi-finals (1984, 2000, 2004 2nd, 2012), two semi-finals at World Cups (1966, 2006)

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Not a fan of the hot takes that will come if Ronaldo wins an international tournament before Messi so I'm team Poland for this one.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oddly the Hungary game makes Portugal even less appealing, because it confirmed that they're choosing to play crap football rather than having it forced upon them by lack of skill. Poland's fans have a really nasty streak though, and the whole country is run by neo-Fascists. If I didn't have money on Portugal I'd probably still half-heartedly want them to win.

Uppercut

Haha that's a huuuge penalty not given for Ronaldo. Tears tonight guaranteed if Portugal go out.

vcs

Portugal just suck the life out of any match they play.. Poland started well but just got worse and worse as the game progressed. I can't even say the Portuguese made niggly fouls or play-acted like Netherlands in WC '10.. they just shut Poland down without really doing much themselves. Poland only have themselves to blame.

Portugal's game plan is to score from the one or two clearcut opportunities they create per game (Ronaldo missed a couple today) and shut the opposition out. It's working so far and they've had a pretty friendly draw.

Last edited:

vcs

A place in the final is there for the taking for Belgium, really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Actually went to bed instead of watching extra time it was that bad.

Portugal are going to end up winning the whole thing on penalties.

Uppercut

There's something about them that makes me doubt they can win it, even though they're already in the semis. Ronaldo's mental state is a mess and it's rubbing off on the whole team.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The bloke is like a poisonous tree in the garden. They desperately want his fruit, but there will come a point where his corrosive effect on the general atmosphere around the team becomes more trouble than it's worth. I suspect this point won't actually come before this tournament ends, but I'd be surprised if he's still a part of their setup for a great deal longer. It reminds me a bit of Thierry Henry's last few years at Arsenal. Bloke is by far the best player in the squad, and he knows it and isn't afraid to shout about it. It'll inevitably lead to other players thinking they cbf to put up with it.

Uppercut

The bloke is like a poisonous tree in the garden. They desperately want his fruit, but there will come a point where his corrosive effect on the general atmosphere around the team becomes more trouble than it's worth. I suspect this point won't actually come before this tournament ends, but I'd be surprised if he's still a part of their setup for a great deal longer. It reminds me a bit of Thierry Henry's last few years at Arsenal. Bloke is by far the best player in the squad, and he knows it and isn't afraid to shout about it. It'll inevitably lead to other players thinking they cbf to put up with it.
Yeah I think he's having that effect too. Last night he was holding the team back, which is obviously the exception but still pretty remarkable given the "one-man team" stereotype about Portugal. And you just know he went straight into the dressing room and blamed everyone but himself. I don't think they should be looking to get rid of him any time soon though, especially now they've convinced him to play up front where their next best options are so bad. But RM should definitely be looking to get rid of him.