• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Quarter Finals Thread

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The thing is people saying it'll be funny if Portugal win the World Cup without Ronaldo starting, that'd teach him are being utterly idiotic, it means he'll pick up a world Cup medal and in years to come that'll be his legacy winning every major trophy he possibly could for clubs and National.
The Euros in 2016 and his various Champions League wins with Real Madrid are a huge part of his legacy despite contributing **** all to any of the finals.

ripper868

International Coach
Love that the first response of the 'favored' teams whenever they go behind is to start begging the referee for decisions...maybe if you stayed on your feet and played the game more, you wouldn't need to rely on the referee giving decisions to win.

I'll never understand why football continues to tolerate players/coaches getting in refs faces, either during the match or at intervals.

Socerer 01

International Captain
The Euros in 2016 and his various Champions League wins with Real Madrid are a huge part of his legacy despite contributing **** all to any of the finals.
bit of a difference from those to this one, he was key in the run up to the finals in those wins where as he has been poor in this tournament

Socerer 01

International Captain
Love that the first response of the 'favored' teams whenever they go behind is to start begging the referee for decisions...maybe if you stayed on your feet and played the game more, you wouldn't need to rely on the referee giving decisions to win.

I'll never understand why football continues to tolerate players/coaches getting in refs faces, either during the match or at intervals.
if only football refs were competent they would lobby for having a system like rugby with mics and rules on the players who get to interact in contentious decisions

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
End of the day it’s reasonable enough for neutrals to want to be entertained but it’d be irresponsible to not do what gives you the best chance of winning.
Oh for sure. But those Brazilian goals in the previous games were so much fun. But if you’re a less talented team, you’d be insane not to play to a defensive strategy.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I still maintain that the clock should be stopped whenever there is stoppage so there is no guessing or controversy about how much time will be added, and everyone (players, fans, commentators etc) knows to the exact second when the whistle will blow. When the time hits 45:00 or 90:00, the play is over.

Being that I have no idea about the game, I’m sure there exists some obvious practical reason why that’s not possible so I know I’m missing something. But it’s crazy to me that there’s ever a controversy about how much TIME the game has left. Not knowing anything about how much time is appropriate to add, all I know is that the commentators seem to be surprised at least half the time about how much or how little time is added on at the end, which is very perplexing to me.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I still maintain that the clock should be stopped whenever there is stoppage so there is no guessing or controversy about how much time will be added, and everyone knows to the second when the whistle will blow. When the time hits 45:00 or 90:00, the game is over.
It would be too radical a change to feel sensible. Will lead to situations where a team might be through on goal with one second left and can't score before time expires. Fans have been conditioned for decades to not expect a whistle in those scenarios, so I don't think it'd go down well.

They've done a good job trying to actually add a more accurate amount of injury time this world cuo, God knows why that's taken so long. Its like referees were embarrassed to add anything over 5 mins.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still maintain that the clock should be stopped whenever there is stoppage so there is no guessing or controversy about how much time will be added, and everyone (players, fans, commentators etc) knows to the exact second when the whistle will blow. When the time hits 45:00 or 90:00, the play is over.

Being that I have no idea about the game, I’m sure there exists some obvious practical reason why that’s not possible so I know I’m missing something. But it’s crazy to me that there’s ever a controversy about how much TIME the game has left. Not knowing anything about how much time is appropriate to add, all I know is that the commentators seem to be surprised at least half the time about how much or how little time is added on at the end, which is very perplexing to me.
It would mean every match lasts about 120 minutes, it may be right but it'll fundamentally change the game, so it won't happen.

Gawd I hate Pepe, is he more repugnant than Cristiano?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
It would be tough to judge general time wasting from goal kicks and throw-ins unless you literally stop the clock whenever the ball goes out of play.