• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

Mike5181

International Captain
I'm surprised how much the G1 has slipped in under the radar this year. I know it's well delayed but even then its come with little fanfare.
Tbh, even if you aren't into New Japan as much I'd recommend it just for the crowds being back. Feels like a proper event again, and the clapping game being shown by them is impressive.

Tana/Naito had a good match recently. Not as good as their trilogy in 2017 but still really solid.

Bahseph

State Captain
I know that WWE storylines aren't the best for continuity etc but at the moment the whole Retribution angle and Raw in general is terrible. Smackdown is marginally better and NXT makes more sense but wow,Raw is really not the flagship now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I quit following WWE at all after Goldberg beat the Fiend. Havent seen anything outside of popular reddit clips since probably the NXT ppv before that.

It's insane how much its driven off a cliff in recent years from the relative high of the Talking Smack era.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Haven't watched properly for a very long time but the formula seemed to be 'see who gets over on Smackdown, move them to RAW and cluster****.' I guess you can include NXT in that too now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Moving to live TV killed NXT. Making it a 3rd brand instead of developmental just made it a less cool future roster instead of the cool roster. It’s not the fault of Ciampa Gargano and Cole but Samoa Joe, Balor, the four horsewoman, Owens, Zayn, they never got to overstay their welcome.
NXT today I just can’t give a **** about despite rating most of them pretty highly. Just feels like it all matters less.

AEW and NJPW just feel so much more intelligent and important.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
WWE reports highest profits ever in the second quarter, mostly due to low expenses in running the shows and TV money still flowing in.

This is not because of cutting talent either because they were paid them through Q2.

They probably would look to slowly phasing out house shows in the future. Bit gross to fire so many people when the company is doing so well though. Think NJPW took care of all their talent in contrast.
With record low TV ratings

Athlai

Not Terrible
Tbf wwe do seem to have a few good things going right now. Heel Rollins is great, they’re building the Fiend again to be that quasi main event style figure Undertaker always was, albeit a worse worker. Heel Reigns is $$$$$$$
Sasha vs Bayley is finally getting the time and effort it deserves.
Drew is good near the top and I feel bad for the bloke having no crowds during his reign. Probably isn’t “the guy” though. Face Big E is extremely interesting tho.

still can’t believe they let ****ing Rusev go. Bloke was a bonafide gun

Mike5181

International Captain
It doesn't help that AEW is putting on some solid weekly shows even if All Out was a mixed bag. NXT running in direct competition to hurt AEW's numbers is also just a dick move.

Athlai

Not Terrible
NXT doesn’t seem to have a plot or overarching stories that extend beyond one PPV (outside of maybe Ciampa / Gargano).
AEW more or less combines the subtle long term story telling of New Japan with some of the more bombastic elements of American wrestling. The ongoing Omega/Page story has been told since the company began and its actually mostly intentional. Its hard to imagine WWE trusting it’s audience half as much.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Tbf NXT has been done in by injuries and the main roster calling up people who were in line to be NXT's next "top guy/girl", rather than the people who are already at the top of NXT. The upshot of which is that Adam Cole and co have to stay in NXT to pad the roster out, despite the fact that they've become stale and done literally all they can in NXT.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That’s good work really

I tell you what though, the ‘wellness’ policy in WcW must have been non existent

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Absolutely, you only need to take a look at... basically everyone to see they are absolutely jacked to ****. It's actually just really sad and awful, as so many of those dudes are dead now.