• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pro-Wrestling Thread II

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I would, but not meaning to sound weird, but I try to keep all of my online wrestling related discussions on CW. Genuinely find this is the best place on the net for such things, strangely enough.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I feel like an octopus when discussing Lesnar's return to the WWE

On one hand, it was desperately needed because the brand is getting stale

On another, the guy is a MMA World Champion that could take out the entire WWE roster each and every night

On another, he is shot and has no credibility left in the real fighting world

On another, great entertainer

I would actually prefer to see the return of Goldberg

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
*Former MMA World Champion.

Prefer him to Goldberg tenfold. Goldberg has done nothing of note since leaving the WWE apart from bagging on it and saying how **** it is. Brock's stint in UFC may have largely been a disappointment, but the fact that he actually held the UFC World Title means that in the eyes of wrestling fans his star power and credibility is still tip-top. Not to mention the fact that he's still got his best pro-wrestling years ahead of him and he's actually capable of seriously going it in the ring. Goldberg on the other hand was never particularly hot in the ring, and is now well past it.

cover drive man

International Captain
Brock Lesnar! WTF?

Excited at least, can't help feeling sorry for Cena's seemingly endless public humiliation lately at the hands of people who haven't bothered to work for nearly a decade though :confused:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Started playing Here Comes The Pain again on the PS2 after Lesnar's return. Best wrestling game from THQ imo.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Excited at least, can't help feeling sorry for Cena's seemingly endless public humiliation lately at the hands of people who haven't bothered to work for nearly a decade though :confused:
I agree. He probably doesn't mind but I don't think its particularly 'right'.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The guy's had a starring role in one of the highest profile feuds ever, and now has been put straight into another one. Don't see how 'wrong' that can be itbt.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I get what you mean and I get what sort of angle it looks like I'm coming from, but it just doesn't sit too right with me.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Cena being defeated by the Rock was arguably the wrong decision for a variety of reasons (most of which I don't particularly buy, having thought more deeply about it), but to suggest that this is the case because it is in any way unfair to Cena isn't one of them imo.

akilana

International 12th Man
Cena will eventually go over The Rock but if he doesn't.. it's cool.

Rock had to win here.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Prior to the match, I would have said that I didn't think either of them needed the win, so to speak. However, now that it's clear that Rock intends to continuing working a program with the E, I think he definitely needed it more than Cena.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Prior to the match, I would have said that I didn't think either of them needed the win, so to speak. However, now that it's clear that Rock intends to continuing working a program with the E, I think he definitely needed it more than Cena.
I disagree. I'm going to ignore the pseudo-philosophy of whether Cena deserved it because it places me on shaky ground on the same side as people who do not understand the business.

Cena needed the win more than The Rock. Cena is hated because fans resent "Super-Cena" who fights the bad guy and wins. It is like he is a superhero, when placed against another hero, he loses - he is average. It makes the whole thing seem more super-heroic, that he lost. I think a win for Cena would have legitimized him greatly. When the fans are not on his side, he loses (Punk, Van Dam, Rock) and so fans try to imitate that by booing him everywhere. It is a tough point to elaborate but I think there is something there...

Rock needed to show that he can still 'go' and he did that. He did not need the win. A loss would have shown a hunger for the WWE which would have been far more appealing to me. It would mean he still needed to prove himself with the title rather than to obviously establish himself as awesome by taking the belt from whichever sap happens to have it when he returns.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
But how does Rock come out without a singles win since WM19 and say he wants the belt?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I disagree. I'm going to ignore the pseudo-philosophy of whether Cena deserved it because it places me on shaky ground on the same side as people who do not understand the business.

Cena needed the win more than The Rock. Cena is hated because fans resent "Super-Cena" who fights the bad guy and wins. It is like he is a superhero, when placed against another hero, he loses - he is average. It makes the whole thing seem more super-heroic, that he lost. I think a win for Cena would have legitimized him greatly. When the fans are not on his side, he loses (Punk, Van Dam, Rock) and so fans try to imitate that by booing him everywhere. It is a tough point to elaborate but I think there is something there...

Rock needed to show that he can still 'go' and he did that. He did not need the win. A loss would have shown a hunger for the WWE which would have been far more appealing to me. It would mean he still needed to prove himself with the title rather than to obviously establish himself as awesome by taking the belt from whichever sap happens to have it when he returns.
I think the fans that have decided to hate on Cena will continue to do so regardless of whoever he beats and however he beats them tbh. Whilst it's true to say that Cena lost on the occasions you've pointed out when the fans have not been behind him, there are loads of instances where the crowd has been against him and he's emerged victorious (HHH, HBK, Angle, Jericho to name a few of these types of occasions). Whether like him or not, he's mega over, the fact that hardly anyone ever gets such a strong (albeit mixed) crowd reaction is testament to this, so I don't think his legitimacy can be questioned. I think Cena still gets booed, not only because it's what members of the IWC have to do to be fashionable and fit in, but because their antics have bred a culture in which the booing of Cena is fun/funny/part of the show. In any event, one gets the feeling that half the people doing the actual booing don't actually give a **** (conjecture on my part perhaps, but I doubt a great many of those who object to Cena have a valid or even slightly persuasive reason for doing so).

As an aside, this is a tough break for Cena, because I don't think many (maybe any) have the drive and intensity for the business and passion for the fans that he does, so I imagine the boos must hurt, but as long as he keeps getting reactions as strong as the ones he does at the moment then he'll keep coming back for me, and credit to him. It's just sad that I fear he may be plagued by this split reception for the rest of his career, and that'd be the shame.The guy's delivered solid to fantastic work in every program he's been put in since more or less the time he debuted, and since then he's carried the company through the most barren period it's seen since well before the attitude era (late 2005 - late 2007), and headlined some of the biggest events in industry history. For these reasons I don't think his legitimacy can be questioned, even by those who dislike him.

As GIMH has said RE: The Rock, if he has serious aspirations of recapturing the WWE title at some point in the next 12 months, it simply would not do to have him come back in without having picked up a singles win since 2003. I know he needed to show he could still bring it, but to do this and then not win against Cena would be very much a case of "almost not buying you the groceries", as JR would term it. What happens from hereon will probably determine whether or not him winning was the correct decision, but as things stand at the moment, I'm leaning towards saying yes.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's been awesome in Japan apparently so I've got an open mind about this

John Cena, Randy Orton, Rey Mysterio if he's about, CM Punk - that's who will have the kids cheering. He'll have a great time anyway - the house shows are fantastic and you'll probably find yourself getting involved in the banter.

ANyway, the main point I wanted to make in here was to commend Cena. I've always been a fan as you all probably know but his promo work over the past 4-5 weeks has been out of this world. He will never get the credit he deserves for it because he's Cena, but whilst Rocky has been entertaining Cena has really sold the importance of the match for him and the raw emotion it makes him feel.

It's funny to see Wm17 mentioned because I actually think Cena has taken a similar stance to Austin before that; I have to beat you Rock, I simply have to. And Rock taking a similar stance to his own as well, i.e. I may have other options but I want to be the best and to be the best means everything. I couldn't have been happier with their promo work on Raw this week tbh.

Bring on Sunday.
Umm, mate. You know it's, like, a bit scripted. Don't you?

:ph34r: