• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

aussie tragic

International Captain
Ponting has to get 46 or more in the second innings to avoid finishing his career with an average in the 51's. Be a pity if it happens, because it really doesn't do him justice.
...or 221* to get his average the same as Lara's 52.88 :)

But in seriousness, the game is set up for him to get a match winning double century, which would be fitting for such a great player

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If Poting had retired after 87 games (games Chappell played) or even at 100 what would his average have been compared to his teammates, also don't see why he should be punished by playing with 2 good openers and the greatest ever wk batsman.
For mine Ponting could dominate and dictate to an attack considerably more than Border ever could and for me easily after only Chappell as the best Aussie batsman after Bradman
If Ponting retired after 100 Tests he would have had the highest average (60) of anyone playing that much or more tests and would have basically achieved already everything there was to achieve in both formats of the game.

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ponting is easily the best Aussie bat I have seen and was that good that you can argue for hours if he is better than Lara or Tendulkar (Kallis is an allrounder but just as good a bat) and still not get a definitive answer. He was that good. If Chappell was better then he must have been special but Ponting was better than Border and any other Aussie of the last 20 years. Just shows how great Bradman must have been as he is on another level totally.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
The whole 'second best' thing is so subjective.

After Bradman and Greg Chappell (who I do rank a clear second), I rank Border, Ponting, Harvey, Ian Chappell and McCabe as roughly equals. It's harder to rank earlier era guys like Trumper, Hill and Macartney.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Will maintain that for mine Ponting is clearly and easily third behind Bradman and Chappell.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
The whole 'second best' thing is so subjective.

After Bradman and Greg Chappell (who I do rank a clear second), I rank Border, Ponting, Harvey, Ian Chappell and McCabe as roughly equals. It's harder to rank earlier era guys like Trumper, Hill and Macartney.
What about Waugh?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think Ponting is clearly on an echelon above Harvey, Ian Chappell and McCabe in particular.

You could scratch around and argue Border and Waugh are in a similar class, but that's about it.

Senile Sentry

International Debutant
Thanks, but one of the most overrated players in test history. Best Aus batsman after Bradman? talk to my hand.

And his selfishness to hang in on despite knowing he was past it, even if it were for a farewell test does not sit well on a man purported to be the ultimate team man and fearless fighter. No he just wanted the salutations and the accolades even if it was at the cost of a batsman's space in the team.

Aus had to go into the Perth test with 10 men just because of one man's zest to garner the centerstage.

Had a godly 2002-2007, and then went under. His record was mainly due to performances at home, in the comforts of other greats like Hayden, Langer, and then Gilly, McGrath, etc. Once the greats were gone, and he could not hide behind others, his performance too fell, drastically. Suggests rather he needed shoulders to rest on than being one himself.

Clarke is miles better than Ponting in that respect.

Rant over.

AaronK

State Regular
gone and i hope i saw the last of him.. he was a cheater and never had the respect and sportmanship that other greats like Dravid.. Kallis and soo on had..