• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Ponting Tribute Thread

Fusion

Global Moderator
I see I have been handed an infraction for expressing an opinion... withu no prior history of having dissed Ponting, my opinion is regarded as trolling.

let me invite attention to a particular poster who cried murder in this thread

Murali retirement thread

Tatenda Taubu retirement thread

these totally inappropriate comments too were made in retirement threads.. but apparently Ponting being an Australian can't be criticized here it seems.
If you have an issue with an infraction, please email the moderators directly. A post like this will only lead to further derailment of the thread.

I want to emphasize again to everyone that this is a tribute thread and hence we have asked posters to keep their criticisms of Ponting out. If you wish to discuss those criticisms, you are welcome to start another thread on the subject.

Lastly, please keep on topic from now on (Ponting retirement tributes), rather than discuss infractions and go after other posters. Any more posts that break these rules will more than likely be infracted.

Last edited:

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lastly, please keep on topic from now on (Ponting retirement tributes), rather than discuss infractions and go after other posters. Any more posts that break these rules will more than likely be infracted.
This thread is called "Ponting Retires" not "Ponting Tribute Thread". I don't see why people can't express a different opinion on Ponting. This is a discussion forum after all and not everyone has to agree - especially on a guy who has most definitely polarised opinion over the years.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just because someone has a serious illness doesn't make them necessarily pure of heart in all things.

- Tony Abbott, November 2007

Fusion

Global Moderator
This thread is called "Ponting Retires" not "Ponting Tribute Thread". I don't see why people can't express a different opinion on Ponting. This is a discussion forum after all and not everyone has to agree - especially on a guy who has most definitely polarised opinion over the years.
That’s a very valid point you raise. My defense to that is that generally speaking at CW, the “retirement” threads are treated as “tribute” threads. There is no hard-written rule about this of course, but that’s how most of them go. IMO when a legendary player retires, even one perhaps as polarizing as Ponting, the “retirement” thread should be left for fans and adversaries to pay tributes. I think it feels mean-spirited to start bringing up the criticisms in such a thread. Of course, no one is saying you can’t criticize said player. As I mentioned, you are free to start up a separate thread to do just that. It just doesn’t feel right to have a debate about the player’s (alleged) shortcomings in the retirement thread.

mugshot

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ponting retiring is a sad time and Ponting is not the only one choking back tears. Ive heard many cricket supporters feeling its the end of an era.

Last edited:

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I for one would like to apologise for personally attacking a great of the game in his retirement thread.

Please accept my apology, Tatenda Taibu.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
My thoughts on Ponting changed a great deal over time. Originally I thought him to be a bit of a Virat Kohli-style brat, back in the days of Steve Waugh's reign. However slowly I grew to like him, as he took charge of the side, made it his own and lead from the front.

There was still the odd ****-ish outburst, but that's par for the course with elite athletes, right?

But the thing was, no matter what I thought of him as a man at any point in time, I respected him and admired his skill as a batsman and fielder. Sure, his captaincy wasn't outstanding, but he got the job done. With bat in hand I have so many amazing memories of his pull shot and cover drive; of flaying strong attacks to all parts. He is the last link to my early childhood, the days when I discovered the game of cricket.

Sure, they're counterbalanced by the memories of him vs. Harbhajan in 2001, his post-Roach form and the solemn times that were the 2005 and 2009 and 2010/11 Ashes. But overall positive Ponting pulls well out in front.

His fielding was brilliant, bordering on superhuman in a way only Jonty Rhodes could compare. And who can forget those big, hooping outswingers he bowled on the odd occasion he was called upon.

He was ever the man for a fight, and he never backed down in big situations. There was nothing more we could ask from an Australian batsman. And while we're prone to hyperbole, romanticism and use of those lenses tinted rose when a great of the game leaves us, I don't think anyone can deny the incredible legacy he has left on Australian cricket, or the worth of the fantastic career he led.

Thank you, Punter.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
On the best bowlers he faced: I think Curtly Ambrose and Wasim Akram were probably the two outstanding quicks that I faced, and for different reasons. Ambrose for his ability to just make you feel like you couldn't score off him for long periods of time, never felt like he was going to bowl you a bad ball. Akram for the exact opposite, you could get a few runs off him, but you just knew there was an unplayable ball around the corner, be it with an old ball or with a new ball. And thankfully for me I probably got both of those guys towards the end of their careers as well. Those two, and Harbhajan's probably the other one who caused me as much grief as anything. He got me out a lot of times, and caused me a lot of grief. Those guys through their careers can all put their hand up and say they had my measure.
Ponting praising Harbhajan. Taste it suckas :cool2:

smash84

The Tiger King
The name of the thread has been changed to accommodate moderator views it seems.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
He was no ****ing saint on the playing field. I can appreciate this outpouring when someone like Dravid or Kallis goes, people with unimpeachable careers. This guy was an arrogant, insufferable chump for as long as he was surrounded by those great Australian players, when they didn't know the taste of defeat. It's only the last four years that he's mellowed out and credit to him, we all learn as we grow up. An untarnished sportsman upholding the much-trumpeted spirit of the game, he certainly wasn't, not for a good 3/4ths of his career at least.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah I think this article sums it up for me personally

Ricky Ponting's swagger masked substance - The National

I was waiting for Ponting to decline, his average kept on going down from 08 onwards until that last Ashes series where his average really took a massive hit, and after that point I almost felt bad lol.. almost wanted him to start scoring just a bit for the heck of it (and he did against us, not surprisingly).

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
test career

he has had a 3 part test career

in his first 6 years he was a decent player in a strong team. he established himself in it very well.

1995/96- 2001: in 52 tests
44 avg, 9 hundreds (13 80+ scores)

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

From around 2002, he suddenly took his game from 2nd gear to 5th gear and started to induce people to take notice of his ability with back to back outstanding performances
In the 6 years from 2002 he went on to destroy attacks both home and away and attained greatness with basically unprecedented performances.

2002- 2007: in 61 tests
70 avg, 24 hundreds (28 80+ scores)

look at the figures..:-O

Finally from 2008 he slowly declined as a batsman with age. His last 5 years greatly hurt his avg.

2008-2012: in 55 tests
40 avg, 8 hundreds (13 80+ scores)

ODI career:

his odi stats a worth a look too

Batting records | One-Day Internationals | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

avg'd more away and neutral than at home.
30 100s, 82 50s
match winning ton in 2003 wc final
great avg in world cups

all in all, a champion in both formats.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Yet no mention of Bond....
Was probably talking tests tbf, and since Bond only played him in the whites once at the very start of his career I can understand his exclusion.

ODIs, Bond was definitely pretty effective against the greatest ODI side ever.

Trichromatic

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
test career

he has had a 3 part test career
Debut to Feb 2002

Matches : 54
Runs : 3235
Avg : 43.71
100s : 9

Mar 2002 to Nov 2006

Matches : 53
Runs : 6004