• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It doesn't matter whether you cbf about it. No one cares about that. The game wants to establish the primacy of the on field umpire for the very good reason someone has to be respected for the conduct of the game. A vital goal for any organisation whether you recognise it or not. The 3rd umpire had no evidence to say the on field ump was wrong. Benefit of the doubt doesn't always have to go to the batsman and in this case it runs a poor second to upholding the dignity of the on field umpire.
But I don't see how reversing an on field decision because there wasn't any evidence of it being the right one is somehow diminishing the dignity of the umpire.

And on the bolded part, that's just wrong. A lack of evidence of the batsman having edged it pretty much means he's not out. The lack of evidence is the evidence. It's been the norm that benefit of doubt should go to the batsman for ages, rightly so. This stupid system throws that in the bin to "uphold the dignity" of the umpire. What does that even mean? It's just a meaningless phrase.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Taylor getting some stick from the commentators for this "half forward" stuff, but it's actually quite smart in that it lets him stay balanced and get his bat in front of his pad; trying to take LBW out of the equation to the two spinners taking it away.

When he gets out nicking it will look bad because he'll look like he's pushing hard at the ball, but there's good logic behind it.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
Could be a game breaker that, I reckon NZ will be safe once they get to 250, until then I'd back Pakistan

OverratedSanity

Yeah, the half forward stride actually helps in such conditions as long as it's a swift movement. It helps keep the balance and allows you to rock back quickly onto the backfoot. players who just plonk their foot out get stuck in no man's land because they can't get back quickly enough and get rushed by the quicker deliveries.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I feel that by the time you play at the ball if you go forward you ought to be quiet close to the pitch of the ball to eliminate the need to adjust to the spin (or lack of) or right back in your crease though to allow time to adjust

RossTaylorsBox

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ugh, hopefully we can bat until the second session tomorrow. Glad Taylor has found some touch although it still makes me nervous seeing him bat against the spinners.

OverratedSanity

I feel that by the time you play at the ball if you go forward you ought to be quiet close to the pitch of the ball to eliminate the need to adjust to the spin (or lack of) or right back in your crease though to allow time to adjust
Yeah, sure, ideally, that'd be the case. Most players aren't good enough to judge length that well and be that decisive. That's why a slightly shorter front foot thrust helps make decisions on the fly.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Great match, all 3 results possible, hopefully we see a result.

Also hopefully dispels talk of these pitches being boring roads, and toss dependent.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Great match, all 3 results possible, hopefully we see a result.
Not really, unless the NZ tail repeats their heroics and bats us to safety, the hosts have this sown up. No way Sodhi's pies are going to give us a chance of defending 200 with Younus and Misbah in their present form. This'll be all over by tea.

Last edited: