• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

Blocky

Banned
NZ has had a lot of good close Tests over the last few years.
This. That Pakistan test was an anomaly of sorts in recent years, we pushed England reasonably hard at home, beat India and the Windies. The last year and a half has been pretty top quality stuff coinsiding with the rise of our bowling attack, more consistency from Kane and Taylor and having Watling come in at seven has been a huge helper for us too.

It's a shame Vettori isn't operating at test level anymore, I strongly think he would have made a huge difference in these conditions due to his unerring accuracy and ability to get a bit of bite out of pitches that suit him.

Blocky

Banned
You've got a higher profile for risk than I do... I still think we need to be in the 250-280 range and give them about 60 overs to go at it.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
The reason that I don't mind going for it is that Pakistan are so good in these conditions that I don't know if we'll get another opportunity next test. To have a shot at a win on day 5 is somewhat unprecedented.

I think we'll need more than 60 overs to bowl them out.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Misbah will not go for anything over 3 runs an over, I think.

If we bat until lunch at whatever run rate I don't think we can lose.

Having said that, I reckon we have to go for runs and be busy like Taylor was last night. Sooner or later a ball will have a batsman's name on it.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah I don't think Misbah will chase anything over 230ish.

Heres hoping we got bowled for 229 and it goes down to the last over.

Blocky

Banned
The reason that I don't mind going for it is that Pakistan are so good in these conditions that I don't know if we'll get another opportunity next test. To have a shot at a win on day 5 is somewhat unprecedented.

I think we'll need more than 60 overs to bowl them out.
I think so too, but I think if we give them a score under 300 and they have more than 60 overs to bat, they only need one solid partnership through the middle and they'll canter home against Sodhi and Craig.

As for Misbah not chasing - he's just chased 300 in 56 overs not that long ago.

Maximas

Cricketer Of The Year
I think so too, but I think if we give them a score under 300 and they have more than 60 overs to bat, they only need one solid partnership through the middle and they'll canter home against Sodhi and Craig.

As for Misbah not chasing - he's just chased 300 in 56 overs not that long ago.
Flatter pitch, series on the line, very little to lose, completely different situation as others have said

Blocky

Banned
Flatter pitch, series on the line, very little to lose, completely different situation as others have said
Different situation for the first twenty overs, sure... but say they're 0/60 or even 1/60 after 20... and get that to be 2/100 after 35 - needing another 150-200 from 35-40 overs will start to look better and better. Especially if Craig continues to bowl terribly.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
If it's only 60 or 65 overs and we're concerned Pakistan are getting too close, we can hide a bowler or two if they're not bowling well. More than that would be a problem.

Blocky

Banned
If it's only 60 or 65 overs and we're concerned Pakistan are getting too close, we can hide a bowler or two if they're not bowling well. More than that would be a problem.
Right, but take into account that even if they only go at Sodhi, Anderson and Craig's RPO across their entire career makes it possible for these guys to chase 240 down in 60 overs.

Like I say, I might be more risk adverse than the rest of you.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Different situation for the first twenty overs, sure... but say they're 0/60 or even 1/60 after 20... and get that to be 2/100 after 35 - needing another 150-200 from 35-40 overs will start to look better and better. Especially if Craig continues to bowl terribly.
Yeah if they do go wicketless we'll probably lose the game. But the only way we can prevent Pakistan from winning in that worst case scenario is by batting till lunch or slightly after. I don't think we'll do that. Baz will back his bowlers.*

*or at least back Southee and Boult

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It's a shame Vettori isn't operating at test level anymore, I strongly think he would have made a huge difference in these conditions due to his unerring accuracy and ability to get a bit of bite out of pitches that suit him.
Eh, maybe, but then again Vettori hasn't bowled NZ to a test win under pressure since he was 18 years old. Miss his lower order rescue batting more than his straight breaks tbh.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Not prepared to read the 20 pages I've missed overnight, but I did watch the entire last wicket stand last night, just wishing one of those skied balls would fall into hands...

However I can't help but feel that NZ brought it on themselves. Keep the field back to a set batsman and just focusing on getting the #11 out is pure idiocy for mine. And he never even got out!

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Yup. The Napier test vs India being the prime example (and somewhat representative of Jeets' career too, unfortunately). Lack of penetration from the pace bowlers also a factor in their career stats.

I think Vettori would be around a 28 average bowler in this team on today's pitches.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yup. The Napier test vs India being the prime example (and somewhat representative of Jeets' career too, unfortunately). Lack of penetration from the pace bowlers also a factor in their career stats.

I think Vettori would be around a 28 average bowler in this team on today's pitches.
Jeets was robbed. Always got played on the flattest of flat tracks and then got blasted for it.

Sad times.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Eh, maybe, but then again Vettori hasn't bowled NZ to a test win under pressure since he was 18 years old. Miss his lower order rescue batting more than his straight breaks tbh.
Yes Kippax's sources would reveal the secret KPIs for NZ spinners over the last ten years have been as follows:
25% - keeping the runs down
10% - taking wickets
5% - turning the ball
60% - batting

Craig and Sodhi still on track for a reasonable bonus this Christmas.

Blocky

Banned
To be fair to Vettori, very rarely was he given the opportunity to bowl on a fifth day rancid turner with a semi decent target.

Yeah, where Vettori disappointed was on true but worn wickets in the second innings of matches. He very rarely actually got to play on genuine turners.
And half the issue for Vettori was that invariably his team didn't really set much of a target for him to bowl at in the 4th innings unless he managed to score runs himself, invariably tiring him a little more than he'd have liked to be.