• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan v New Zealand in the UAE 2014

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
Recently (post captaincy) I don’t think Ross Taylor has been a match winner as a batsman and it has got to the point that if I had a choice about who goes big in an innings I would rather it was Williamson or Guptill (or Jesse), this is because I don’t think he is as good at accelerating the scoring late in his innings like he was at the beginning of his career. This is his third century post losing the captaincy that his resulted in defeat (others are vs England at Napier and vs Bangladesh) even his two most recent centuries vs India he relied on the players around him to accelerate the scoring to bring us home.
I don’t know if it is due to fitness or as a result of the improvement in his test game rubbing off on his one day game.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Bowled well-ish. Started strongly (had figures of 1-1 off 3 iirc), and he got decent bounce and carry while the ball was hard - but when it became softer he became much easier to play. It seems to me that his pace is just too hittable against batsman who want to attack - and that happened as the match went on. Slow enough to give the batsman time, but fast enough that the ball flies off the bat.
I'm still convinced there's a role for him. He doesn't even have to bowl 10 overs if you've got Mitch, Southee, McCullum, Vettori and Anderson around him. Can bowl 5 overs for 17 as he did this morning, bowl a couple at around 17-25 then call it a day. If those 7 overs go for 30, I'll take it ever time given I think I'm getting 15-20 more tight overs from the spinners. Then he's there if you need him if Mitch, Anderson or whoever else gets belted.

Then again, I don't watch bugger all ODI cricket so I genuinely take my own perspective with a grain of salt.

Binkley

U19 Captain
I'm still convinced there's a role for him. He doesn't even have to bowl 10 overs if you've got Mitch, Southee, McCullum, Vettori and Anderson around him. Can bowl 5 overs for 17 as he did this morning, bowl a couple at around 17-25 then call it a day. If those 7 overs go for 30, I'll take it ever time given I think I'm getting 15-20 more tight overs from the spinners. Then he's there if you need him if Mitch, Anderson or whoever else gets belted.
I agree. My post was maybe over-critical in retrospect. He still looked very good in his first couple of spells.

Then again, I don't watch bugger all ODI cricket so I genuinely take my own perspective with a grain of salt.
I don't know crap at the best of times.

vandem

International 12th Man
I'm still convinced there's a role for [Mills]. He doesn't even have to bowl 10 overs if you've got Mitch, Southee, McCullum, Vettori and Anderson around him. Can bowl 5 overs for 17 as he did this morning, bowl a couple at around 17-25 then call it a day. If those 7 overs go for 30, I'll take it ever time given I think I'm getting 15-20 more tight overs from the spinners. Then he's there if you need him if Mitch, Anderson or whoever else gets belted...
It's unlikely that we'll only pick 4 batsmen, so this only works if you have someone in the top 5 who can bowl 3-5 overs. Williamson - crossing fingers. Ryder - no. Elliott - a long shot. Devcich - a couple more MoM performances and who knows ...

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It's unlikely that we'll only pick 4 batsmen, so this only works if you have someone in the top 5 who can bowl 3-5 overs. Williamson - crossing fingers. Ryder - no. Elliott - a long shot. Devcich - a couple more MoM performances and who knows ...
Anderson.

McCullum Latham Williamson Taylor Anderson Ronchi McCullum Southee Vettori Mills McClenaghan. Three front-line seamers, two spinners, one back-up seamer and then dependent on where Williamson is at.

I'd like it if McCullum N became Neesham but his stats don't demand it. Perhaps light on batting but no one else is putting their hand up to offer a sufficient weight of runs to demand reshuffling.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So there's still a place for him in our ODI side?
Not sure yet Steve. He was excellent in his opening spell yesterday, but once again fairly average after that ending up with 1/54 off 10 when the required rate for Pakistan was under 5s.

Fortunately there's a number of games before we need to lock in our final 15, but right now my 5 pace bowlers would be Southee, Milne, McClenaghan, Henry & Mills with Boult just missing out, but that may well change.

Zinzan

Couple of observations from yesterday;

1) Thought Williamson's biggest mistake was bringing Milne back on to break the Afridi/Sohail stand with no slip & sure enough Afridi edged one wide of the keeper for 4. When you have a 150+ bowler & you need a breakthrough you always keep a slip in the there. Can't see McCullum leaving that position vacant.

2) Jimmy Neesham is an incredibly talented cricketer & I'm a big fan but he shouldn't be any near the bowling crease in ODI's & I've said this for a while. I'm not entirely happy with Anderson's bowling either, but Jimmy's a long long way off & opposition teams must just being rubbing their hands together every time he bowls because he's just free-runs at this level. As much as I like him, I can't find room for him in my final 15 as of today.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Couple of observations from yesterday;

1) Thought Williamson's biggest mistake was bringing Milne back on to break the Afridi/Sohail stand with no slip & sure enough Afridi edged one wide of the keeper for 4. When you have a 150+ bowler & you need a breakthrough you always keep a slip in the there. Can't see McCullum leaving that position vacant.

2) Jimmy Neesham is an incredibly talented cricketer & I'm a big fan but he shouldn't be any near the bowling crease in ODI's & I've said this for a while. I'm not entirely happy with Anderson's bowling either, but Jimmy's a long long way off & opposition teams must just being rubbing their hands together every time he bowls because he's just free-runs at this level. As much as I like him, I can't find room for him in my final 15 as of today.
Neesham should have bowled 3-6 overs and Devcich should have bowled the rest. Kane obviously not a fan of Devcich.

Who can blame him?

Zinzan

Neesham should have bowled 3-6 overs and Devcich should have bowled the rest. Kane obviously not a fan of Devcich.

Who can blame him?
No, Neesham should be nowhere near the bowling crease in ODIs, particularly in Asian conditions. He might have a lucky day 1 in every 10 occasions, but will get murdered in between. Not sure if he's just mentally weak or genuinely has no control of where the ball is going.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure yet Steve. He was excellent in his opening spell yesterday, but once again fairly average after that ending up with 1/54 off 10 when the required rate for Pakistan was under 5s.

Fortunately there's a number of games before we need to lock in our final 15, but right now my 5 pace bowlers would be Southee, Milne, McClenaghan, Henry & Mills with Boult just missing out, but that may well change.
Yep exactly right, we'll get a better gauge of who should be there over the next 2 months. I can't see how Boult is going to get a look in, given he's not in the set-up at the moment and didn't show enough in the time he was.

I still feel like Jimmy is going to be a bonafide international bowling option, just not now. Which is no slight on him given he's not been at the highest level that long.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Nice to see dan make 20 something his batting will improve.

Henry has some ardent followers after his match against India, how did he travel against sa I didn't catch much of those games but I thought not as well.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Boult is ahead of Henry at the moment.
Would he not be in UAE if that were the case? Boult has played 3 ODIs in the past 2 years, and didn't play one for 18 months until two against SA at the Mount. I'm not sure he blew everyone away sufficiently for what you're saying to be right. You're not giving him a lot of time to work out his ODI form ahead of February.