• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

'Official' Pakistan in West Indies

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Really impressed with Rampaul. Was constantly derided when called up for the World Cup. He bowled well there, then in the ODI series, and now has been consistently accurate, pacy and threatening in this match. Hopefully he pushes on now, because he's shown he has the spirit to stand up to critics in the short term at least.

Sammy standing up to the critics too, but his type of bowling was particularly helped by the pitch. Unlikely that he'd take a similar haul on a decent surface. Still, much respect for his gutsy leadership.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I think Cevno's comments about the technical defect in Salman's forward defense were spot on.
Yep.

Missed most of today's play but his technique is pretty poor on the front foot with the bat coming from the wrong direction and opening up.

Edit - Saw his dismissal on replay and pretty much the same problem again.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Really impressed with Rampaul. Was constantly derided when called up for the World Cup. He bowled well there, then in the ODI series, and now has been consistently accurate, pacy and threatening in this match. Hopefully he pushes on now, because he's shown he has the spirit to stand up to critics in the short term at least.

Sammy standing up to the critics too, but his type of bowling was particularly helped by the pitch. Unlikely that he'd take a similar haul on a decent surface. Still, much respect for his gutsy leadership.
Agree.

Rampaul looked really impressive from what i saw in this test.

And Sammy though all credit to him did well here, was aided by the surface pretty much.

Blaze 18

Banned
great test match... a big middle finger to all sammy haters... got to give it to his spirit....
No-one's said Sammy hasn't got spirit (all West Indian players do TBH), just that he is a fairly limited cricketer. Fair enough, he was very good in this game, but one game proves nothing at all. Nothing.

vcs

It's a bit weird when you think that maybe even Steyn wouldn't have been as effective on this kind of surface as Sammy. :laugh:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
As Sammy says, Gibson has done a splendid job with Rampaul. His turnaround from an innocuous trundler to a lethal new-ball bowler with accuracy, pace and bounce has been extremely heartening.

smash84

The Tiger King
happy for WI tbh............I hope they are able to pick up their cricket from here..........although i doubt it

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
West indies have some good pace options at the moment and if Rampaul keeps this up he will give a different kind of option with the new ball to the rest of their bowlers (Edwards,Taylor,Roach) who tend to rely more on pace than swing and more on reverse swing than conventional swing.

Borges

International Regular
It's a bit weird when you think that maybe even Steyn wouldn't have been as effective on this kind of surface as Sammy. :laugh:
Steyn does bowl the off cutter quite well. And at his pace, I think he would have been lethal on this pitch.

vcs

Replace their openers with Gayle and Barath and things start looking quite decent for WI. Now with Bishoo in, they have variety in their attack to back up their pace bowling depth.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Well done the windies. The last time they won a Test, the attack wasTaylor, Edwards, Powell, Benn and Gayle.

They should give MOTM to Bishoo for his batting.

Yep......

Btw how many bowlers have taken a 10 fer and ended up on the losing side???
Quite a few. Wasim Akram did it three times.

Last edited:

vcs

Steyn does bowl the off cutter quite well. And at his pace, I think he would have been lethal on this pitch.
Haven't seen him bowl it that much. Though he has more than shown the ability to be effective on subcontinent wickets and get reverse swing.