• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan in New Zealand 2016/17

Athlai

Not Terrible
Forgive my ignorance, but is this Luke Woodcock, the spinner we had in the World Cup five years ago?
Yes, Luke Woodcock was Wellingtons 3rd best all rounder who has gradually devoured the batting abilities of all the other fallen all rounders (Boam, Franklin) and when Brodie fell away a couple seasons back he partnered up with Papps as a makeshift opener. Only to put out some great FC runs from the top in a way that makes absolutely no sense yet makes perfect sense... because Wellington.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
What happened to Josh Brodie? Scored a double ton and looked every inch the goods at FC level. Back injury I remember, was that what did him in?

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
What happened to Josh Brodie? Scored a double ton and looked every inch the goods at FC level. Back injury I remember, was that what did him in?
As with a lot of young Wellington players at the time, he got sick of cricket and retired.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Devcich was involved in the Test side in India??? Ugh.

Not that I've watched much of Woody but I know historically he's been a limited guy who knows his game. Needs to be got out, won't get himself out with a repertoire of a dozen or more shots as Latham does.

I think a lot of us have said it, we'd absoutely take someone who averages 25-30 and occupies the crease. That's why he'd be far from the worst we could do. With Santner out, would give you a left-arm option as well. All hot air basically as they're not going to pick him.

Jeet isn't a crease occupier and judging on his dismissals this year, doesn't know his game or where his off stump is either. I was up for him playing in SA but given they didn't take him to India and he's not taken his opportunities since, I've cooled on that now.
Devcich was only talked up as an option for the third India test by Simon Doull iirc, so no the selectors probably didn't really consider it.

And yes, even giving half a thought to 34-yo middle-order allrounder turned makeshift domestic opener becoming a NZ opener does show how terrible the other options are.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
remember when yovich was bandied around as a test opener several years back?
Woodcock>>>>Yovich, but yeah I remember it. Wasn't Yovich playing knocks of like 60 off 260 balls or similar?

I take my hat off to guys who transform themselves into opening bats, it's the worst job in the game and the bloody hardest to do, especially if you take it up late.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There was at least one article on stuff about Yovich as test opener iirc.

Also, Raval beats Guptill this innings for Auckland.

The Hutt Rec

International Vice-Captain
There was at least one article on stuff about Yovich as test opener iirc.

Also, Raval beats Guptill this innings for Auckland.
I can't say I remember Yovich ever being mentioned as a Blackcaps possibility, but I'm sure it did happen.

Guptill 56, Raval 84 ... I don't think either has really done enough to deserve a spot.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Pakistan scheduled to play a 3 day game against New Zealand A from the 11th but Cricinfo not listing it so I wonder if they'll have the match details?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty disappointed review of BMac's book from Paul Ford... Anyone read the book it yet?

Paul Ford reviews Declared by Brendon McCullum | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Nah, but if nothing else I say good on McCullum for firing back at Mark Reason. Reason got really nasty during the last couple years of McCullum's reign (particularly the thinly veiled accusations that McCullum was in Modi's pocket when he came forward regarding Cairns' match fixing) and imo it's only fair that he take the chance to call out Reason for the **** that he is.

Last edited:

Blocky

Banned
Nah, but if nothing else I say good on McCullum for firing back at Mark Reason. Reason got really nasty during the last couple years of McCullum's reign (particularly the thinly veiled accusations that McCullum was in Modi's pocket when he came forward regarding Cairns' match fixing) and imo it's only fair that he take the chance to call out Reason for the **** that he is.
I agree but it ruined his book, because he spent far too much time on things such as that and the Cairn's trial meaning there wasn't much substance or a build up of things and events throughout his career, or much personally about himself or his family.

The Ford review is actually a pretty good one and apt for the content that McCullum includes in his book, although if you want to see what life was like under Bracewell, Vettori, Greatbatch, Wright and Hesson in succession and also how uninspiring NZC is at the top table downwards around implementing positive change, it gives good insight into that.