• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

shortpitched713

International Captain
Lol, I'm not going to list all the games I've seen him play. How many have you see him play? Or do you just look at the scorecard and say >4.6 - crap game. I've watched the guy play enough to know he's quite a good ODI bowler and has a big future in the format. I think most people that have seen him in ODIs will concur. In Tests I have no idea, I've only seen a handful of his performances, certainly not enough to say one way or the other.
I'd say hes as good of a Test prospect as he is a ODI one. Carried our attack in Test series against England and West Indies. Can be a bit inconsistent but has the ability to bowl top drawer spells, especially with the old ball. Awesome yorkers.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Actually I watched him in Multan test in 2004 and he was devastating, agreed conditions were in favour too(he will see similar conditions @ Eden & Kotal esp if Pak bowl first), his spell turned the game for Pakistan. He has struggled with his fitness and injury in the past and if he can sort that out, he is a very good bowler.

funnygirl

State Regular
Umar Gul is a very good bowler ,especially with the old ball . That ball which dismissed VVS Laxman is the best delivery i saw in recent times . He is better than Asif in flat pitches with least support for fast bowlers .

But ,sure is very much injury prone .

jeevan

International 12th Man
I was talking about tests.In ODIs, Tendulkar is looking good ,Ganguly is okay .
In tests India are actually stronger than in ODIs and have more choices to rely on. (Jaffer, Karthik for opening , Laxman for middle order). Except Dravid, pretty much everyone else had a decent test outing with the bat in England (incl Dhoni's 5th day save of Test1).

In tests, not sure that I'd readily agree with Pakistan's bowling being stronger. Kumble comes in (good record against Pakistan, not just the 10-for) and Sreesanth turns from being the run-leaking weak link to a reasonable wicket taking prospect. Then there is the new Zaheer, and possibly even the new Irfan may allow 5 bowlers.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lol, I'm not going to list all the games I've seen him play. How many have you see him play? Or do you just look at the scorecard and say >4.6 - crap game. I've watched the guy play enough to know he's quite a good ODI bowler and has a big future in the format. I think most people that have seen him in ODIs will concur. In Tests I have no idea, I've only seen a handful of his performances, certainly not enough to say one way or the other.
Which is ironic, because he's actually looked far, far more promising in Tests than ODIs.

I've seen him play a sum-total of 1 - the NatWest Challenge game in 2003. I don't need to see a game, though, to realise that a bowler who's gone for 5.22-an-over, 4.71-an-over, 6-an-over, 8.4-an-over, 11.6-an-over, 5.44-an-over, 5.22-an-over, 5.75-an-over, 4.8-an-over, 6.75-an-over and 6.21-an-over has bowled poorly.

I'm not actually commenting on whether he has a big future or not - it's not impossible that he might have.

Rather like the Bond-in-Tests question early on in his career, though, people massively overstate his deeds to date.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Actually I watched him in Multan test in 2004 and he was devastating, agreed conditions were in favour too(he will see similar conditions @ Eden & Kotal esp if Pak bowl first), his spell turned the game for Pakistan. He has struggled with his fitness and injury in the past and if he can sort that out, he is a very good bowler.
At Lahore.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
I said the bowler in question bowled well in those matches where?

In fact - what on Earth does that have to do with anything? I'm talking about Umar Gul, not Glenn McGrath.
Pick an chose, twist the stats to suit the argument you make, turn most threads into basically same. Its pointless excersize. It is sad that some people are allowed to do that and hijack the forum.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or perhaps it's just recognised that that's not what they're doing.

Incidentally, I haven't twisted the stats to suit my argument - I've based my viewpoint on the stats which exist.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Or perhaps it's just recognised that that's not what they're doing.

Incidentally, I haven't twisted the stats to suit my argument - I've based my viewpoint on the stats which exist.
That's not the only stat that exists, you have basically made up your mind and then picked performances that suited your argument. I did the same with Mcgrath's stats. It can be proven with any bowler and then say that "I don't need to see a game, though, to realise that a bowler who's gone for ...5,5, 5,2, 6,4 etc"

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyways, You are the biggest troll on this forum and I am sick of your ridiculous posts. so here you go to my Ignore List. While you rot in my Ignore Land Please dont forget to give a hug to Raghav, he has been sulking big time since India won the Twenty20.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
That's not the only stat that exists, you have basically made up your mind and then picked performances that suited your argument. I did the same with Mcgrath's stats. It can be proven with any bowler and then say that "I don't need to see a game, though, to realise that a bowler who's gone for ...5,5, 5,2, 6,4 etc"
I didn't, I showed that bad games were bad games and that those games are in a majority.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Anyways, You are the biggest troll on this forum and I am sick of your ridiculous posts. so here you go to my Ignore List. While you rot in my Ignore Land Please dont forget to give a hug to Raghav, he has been sulking big time since India won the Twenty20.
Adding him to your list is probably the best thing really.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Umar Gul is a very good bowler ,especially with the old ball . That ball which dismissed VVS Laxman is the best delivery i saw in recent times . He is better than Asif in flat pitches with least support for fast bowlers .

But ,sure is very much injury prone .
Definitely agree with the statement about his effectiveness on flat pitches. Sure hes not a Shoaib Akhtar, but hes as devastating as anyone I've seen in the recent past with a reverse swinging ball.

He also hasn't seemed all that injury prone since his comeback from a longterm injury, so I don't think injuries will be a major problem for him (fingers crossed).