• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

shortpitched713

International Captain
Which is ironic, because he's actually looked far, far more promising in Tests than ODIs.

I've seen him play a sum-total of 1 - the NatWest Challenge game in 2003. I don't need to see a game, though, to realise that a bowler who's gone for 5.22-an-over, 4.71-an-over, 6-an-over, 8.4-an-over, 11.6-an-over, 5.44-an-over, 5.22-an-over, 5.75-an-over, 4.8-an-over, 6.75-an-over and 6.21-an-over has bowled poorly.

I'm not actually commenting on whether he has a big future or not - it's not impossible that he might have.

Rather like the Bond-in-Tests question early on in his career, though, people massively overstate his deeds to date.
Will surpass Wasim Akram. Dead cert.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Anyways, You are the biggest troll on this forum and I am sick of your ridiculous posts. so here you go to my Ignore List. While you rot in my Ignore Land Please dont forget to give a hug to Raghav, he has been sulking big time since India won the Twenty20.
Haha, solipsism for the win! :laugh:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Which is ironic, because he's actually looked far, far more promising in Tests than ODIs.

I've seen him play a sum-total of 1 - the NatWest Challenge game in 2003. I don't need to see a game, though, to realise that a bowler who's gone for 5.22-an-over, 4.71-an-over, 6-an-over, 8.4-an-over, 11.6-an-over, 5.44-an-over, 5.22-an-over, 5.75-an-over, 4.8-an-over, 6.75-an-over and 6.21-an-over has bowled poorly.

I'm not actually commenting on whether he has a big future or not - it's not impossible that he might have.

Rather like the Bond-in-Tests question early on in his career, though, people massively overstate his deeds to date.
so you are saying that you know more than the people who have actually WATCHED the games??????

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Totley - Care to tell us the result on last India-Pak series in India. Just incase you forgot, here is it :-

Tests: India 1 Pakistan 1
ODIs: India 2 Pakistan 4
1-1 (since i was talking about test) means they were not able to beat us in their own back yard, exactly what i was talking about

pasag

RTDAS
Sorry Richard, I refuse to take your opinion on Umar Gul as an ODI bowler seriously until you actually watch the guy play.

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
Definitely agree with the statement about his effectiveness on flat pitches. Sure hes not a Shoaib Akhtar, but hes as devastating as anyone I've seen in the recent past with a reverse swinging ball.

He also hasn't seemed all that injury prone since his comeback from a longterm injury, so I don't think injuries will be a major problem for him (fingers crossed).
He basically improved under the guidance of Waqar Younis.Some days Gul can be very ordinary, yet another day he can be impressive.If Waqar is brought back as the coach, then Gul can become a really dangerous bowler

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

8-)

4.71 and 4.8 is not poor.

Athlai

Not Terrible
8-)

4.71 and 4.8 is not poor.
The expected reply:

Good bowling is economical bowling, any bowler worth his salt should be bowling at under 4 an over, otherwise they are just showing a dire effort. The only reason to keep a bowler who is so expensive is if they are a genuine wicket taker, and Gul is not a genuine wicket taker. He is purely average.

biased indian

International Coach

and still his career Econ is 4.67

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I massively fear for India in the ODIs. Just following the Challenger Trophy and India's recent ODIs, (besides Zaheer,) there are no moderately accurate pacers who bowl over 125kph and it is the reason they concede 300 so often.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sorry Richard, I refuse to take your opinion on Umar Gul as an ODI bowler seriously until you actually watch the guy play.
My opinion won't change until his figures improve, even if I do watch the games where he's going for 5.5-an-over.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
so you are saying that you know more than the people who have actually WATCHED the games??????
Given that people will often say "he bowled well" because he bowled a few slower-balls that got launched into the stands and got 3 play-and-misses in 1 over while being AOTP in the others...

Yes.

R_D

International Debutant
7-33-2 and 10-48-0 are poor spells.

And I watched the first of those two as well.
I don't know most would call those ok rather than rubbish figures..... nothing extraordinary but certainly not rubbish.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
They're not disastrous, neither of them. But they're certainly not good and they're certainly more poor than 10-42-0, for instance, would be. That's what I'd call a decent-but-not-good spell.