• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official *** Pakistan in India

biased indian

International Coach
1) Please read properly. Kartik vs Karthik ...
2) I can understand Kumble's decision but I don't have time to waste arguing or even trying to convey it to you.
3) Laxman's injury ... are you seriously using that as a reason for an early declaration now?

Done with this. Hopefully I'll wake up tomorrow and not have to read Parthiv, Gambhir or Agarkar's names in the squad.
1.Sorry with karthik
2.it was the same captian who declared at kolkata rite..ya enoguh said...if he was sporting then..i dont see any reason to change it here
3.i was of the opinion to declare even before that injury..means just after lunch..this happened after that...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good series win. Who cares that it was a draw? India can't exactly be picky when it comes to home series wins against Pakistan. Congrats to Kumble for being the first in 27 years to do it.

biased indian

International Coach
With Pratyush all the way here. Some pretty poor stuff in this thread as well. You'd think India had just been thrashed by 500 runs reading some of this crap. Accusing people of having poor knowledge of the game or acting out of emotion only merely because they disagree is way out of line as well imo. Very poor stuff. As Pratyush said, it really is insulting.
and he was not anyway less in reacting.....all are at fault here including anil kumble :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
2.it was the same captian who declared at kolkata rite..ya enoguh said...if he was sporting then..i dont see any reason to change it here
It has nothing to do with sporty. lf some captain declares early to try and be sporting, he is actually doing a disfavour to his team.

Declaring in Calcutta is different from here. In Calcutta, it would have meant taking a 2-0 unbeatable lead and shutting out the series. Here, Kumble valued ensuring winning the series 100% before he did any thing.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I thought they could have declared earlier than they did, but I don't blame Kumble for going for a late declaration. They had the series wrapped up anyway so why risk anything. Its not like Pakistan haven't shown that they can bat.

Anyway, congrats to India on a well deserved series win. Beginning of day 4 in Delhi was our chance to get a lead on the series but we failed, that'll always play on my mind, but other than that I feel there quite a few positives we can take back from this series. Misbah was such a gun throughout the series. Did a fine job playing the Inzi role, and hopefully won't let us feel how much we miss him in the coming years. He needs to learn how to bat with the tail a bit better, but great stuff nonetheless.

Also, Iqbal's dismissal today is exactly why I don't want ****s like him in the team. Why in cold blue hell would you try a pull shot on the guy who just took three top order wickets? Amazing.

biased indian

International Coach
It has nothing to do with sporty. lf some captain declares early to try and be sporting, he is actually doing a disfavour to his team.

Declaring in Calcutta is different from here. In Calcutta, it would have meant taking a 2-0 unbeatable lead and shutting out the series. Here, Kumble valued ensuring winning the series 100% before he did any thing.
If winning the series was the ultimate aim..he should not have declared then and thus ensuring that he will not lose the series

if he had lost in kolkata..he could have lost the series....:p

Edit: Congrats on reaching 13K :)

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If winning the series was the ultimate aim..he should not have declared then and thus ensuring that he will not lose the series

if he had lost in kolkata..he could have lost the series....:p
He wanted to give a bit of match bowling to the bowlers too. That is better than giving batting practise to tail enders.

If he had lost in Kolkata (very little chance of that like today), at least he would have the chance to come back in the third test. More importantly, there was the big plus of having an unbeatable lead in the series. He had no such advantage here.

On 13k Thanks mate! :)

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Some of the posts are pretty pathetic here esp with all those bold and heavy colorful Fonts.

As for me, Dont agree with Kumble's decision to declare so late but certainly can understand him taking it safe.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Not to forget the fact that Kumble gave Pak 48 overs to and not 36 overs. If the light had been okay, India probably would have wrapped up the game in remaining 12 overs. Kumble couldn't foresee bad light esp after the first 4 days of the test saw full quota of 90 overs.

Overall Great series win for India and great start of Kumble and a great series for Dada. :)

Fusion

Global Moderator
Congrats to India for winning so comprehensively. They had the advantage in all 3 tests and were clearly the better team. Great to see Ganguly's feats. What a turn-around that guy has had! Pakistan can't blame all of this on injuries, though that played a large part. Lawson has his work cut out for him. The positives to come out of this for Pakistan are Misbah and to a lesser degree Akmal with the bat. I hope this is the last we ever see of Sami in Pakistani colors!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
interesting reactions here to the declaration.

I think it was a defensive move, but then again, a defensive move doesn't always equal a bad move. He COULD have declared earllier and I don't think there was much chance of Pak winning the game at all after lunch, but he decided to be extra cautious... A lot of captains tend to go that way, esp. in such a situation and I don't think we can blame him too much for this. It is not like we have lost or anything.... Aggressive captaincy doesn't always mean great captaincy and defensive captaincy doesn't always mean bad captaincy.

Anyways good win for India in this series. But Australia will be a BIG test and as much as I want to be, I am finding it hard to be too optimistic about the coming tour.

funnygirl

State Regular
For God sake ,it was his first series as the captain that too against the archrivals .When he was almost at the moment of creating a history ,it is natural that he became extra cautious .Can't blame him.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Great series win for India against pakistan after 27 years at home.Can understand the kumble's extra cautious mindset when declaring late, as it was on pakistan's best interest to force a win here by playing aggressively and as we have seen, with their aggressive batting which they were trying to do in forcing a win, they lost too many wickets.
Iam pretty sure that if we would have had another 12 overs ,the match would have been over in india's favour.
In Kolkatta, kumble gave around 80 overs on last day for his bowlers to force a win with much lesser target. Inspite of that our bowling was toothless.So that might have played on Kumble's mind when playing here as pakistan was able to rack up big totals in the first innings on both the matches here and at kolkatta.
Another reason might be due to the fact that kumble saw dravid,ganguly and karthik batting well even on 5th day, possibly implying the pitch was not absolutely bad to chase anything over 300. Kumble just ensured that pakistan could not chase it at all and if they try it, he knew that the match would be in india's bag.
20 years down the lane when somebody looks at history, it will have that india did win against pakistan at home multiple times thereby erasing the 27 years bad record.Imagine, if kumble would have given a target above 300 and if pakistan would have somehow managed to chase it, kumble would have been severely pilloried for loosing to pakistan.
To also quote from cricinfo, its not that pakistan were settling for a draw.
"With the fielders crowding the bat, cuts and drives flew to the boundary as Misbah-ul-Haq and Iqbal added 73 at seven an over."
Now that we took baby steps and have learned to win against pakistan at home and england abroad, iam sure bigger series margins victories will happen in near future.The basic principles is to learn how to win the test series and once we master that its just going to improve.
Well done Anil Kumble and his men.Have a blast.

Last edited:

haroon510

International 12th Man
what the hell?

how come ganguly got man of the series award.... i guess anyone who makes this many runs against 2 and half bowlers in india and he is indian will get man of the series... he scored with averaged of 89

while misbah ul haq averaged 116.. and played alot of crucial innings that saved pakistan several times during the series.. he faced 4 to 5 bowlers... i guess he wasn't indian probably..

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
what the hell?

how come ganguly got man of the series award.... i guess anyone who makes this many runs against 2 and half bowlers in india and he is indian will get man of the series... he scored with averaged of 89

while misbah ul haq averaged 116.. and played alot of crucial innings that saved pakistan several times during the series.. he faced 4 to 5 bowlers... i guess he wasn't indian probably..
Yeah, but ganguly's batting saved the test matches, as well as his bowling partially won the first test (remember delhi test, 4th day morning) for india. Where as Misbah's stonewalling just help to draw the match for pakistan.
Also you must be kidding, if you say india had 4-5 bowlers in last test.They just had 1 and half main bowler. Kumble and the ineffective harbhajan singh.
I think Ganguly deserved the man of the match and series.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
what the hell?

How many wickets did Misbah take again?