• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England and Ireland 2016

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Martin Crowe-esque that pull stroke from Root, in that he appeared to have all the time in the world.

Zinzan

Could somebody fill be in as to why England are still batting with ominous weather forecast? Their lead is 530, not 330.

Compton

International Debutant
I know Pakistan haven't covered themselves in glory, but I can't imagine there have been many test matches lost when the number 3 chalks up over 300 runs.

91Jmay

International Coach
Could somebody fill be in as to why England are still batting with ominous weather forecast? Their lead is 530, not 330.
The forecast isn't that bad, but it is a bit of a risk. If Pakistan end up needing to bat out 120 overs that is doable I think.

Compton

International Debutant
The forecast is fine.

I disagreed with Cook's decision to not enforce the follow on, but once he made it he has to commit to batting at least an hour this morning. I'd probably bat an hour, an hour and a half. Get a quick half hour in before lunch so they have to start twice against a new ball.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This scorecard from 10 years ago shows why Cook didn't follow on.

ENG 551/6d
SL 192
SL 537/9 (f/o)

Match Drawn
God people in here going full on 'one swallow makes a summer' argument. Or a world champion who understands game theory far better than most said it was wrong so it must be right. The last few pages must be an appreciative nod to PakPassion. Declarations are totally something you can look at with a maths brain and make better calls than professional cricketers. Because the main variables are bad light & umpire interpretation (which as said yesterday they were very lenient with), rain (you can get hourly percentage chances on it occurring - which varied between 10 and 33 percent when I last checked, the higher ones were more for tomorrow), the sort of typical range of scores that are in Pakistan's ability, as well as how many overs they can bat. I don't expect Cook to interpret all these factors, but England have plenty of backroom staff who would make a better call than Cook with Broad and Anderson whining in his ear about having to bowl more than 12 overs in a day.

It's not about exceptional examples, saying it is wrong to enforce the follow-on because a team batted out 199 overs once. It is about what gives you the best chance. Cricket is all about playing the percentages. There's never a 100% foolproof option. Whether it is the game as a whole or a particularly delivery. You can't play in fear of making a mistake or having a bad result. It's like when Sri Lanka got bowled out when they only needed to bat out 40 or so overs for a draw. It was unlikely, but you give yourself the best chance of winning and you will win more games ultimately.

Australia have gone full-moron ever since they lost when enforcing the follow-on. They've completely ignored the fact they could have replayed that Test 1000 times and never have lost again. That it took all time great innings, a full day's play without a wicket falling, a comically inept Australian batting performance. The focus should be on that, not the decision because the decision was correct.

Here there should still be attention paid to the decision, no matter what happens, because it was a shocking decision and they need to learn from it.

Zinzan

The crims used to call it mental disintegration.

The forecast isn't that bad, but it is a bit of a risk. If Pakistan end up needing to bat out 120 overs that is doable I think.

The forecast is fine.

I disagreed with Cook's decision to not enforce the follow on, but once he made it he has to commit to batting at least an hour this morning. I'd probably bat an hour, an hour and a half. Get a quick half hour in before lunch so they have to start twice against a new ball.
All fair enough, provided Pakistan don't somehow hang on 8 or 9 down for 384