• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in Australia 2019

ataraxia

International Coach
Its this weak attitude that typifies NZ that prevented Martin Crowe from getting 300 all those years ago and this attitude that made it so it would be Brendon McCullum as the pinnacle of NZ batting achievement.

Don't be fooled by it folks.
I personally feel like saying the same about Bradman and Hayden.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Its this weak attitude that typifies NZ that prevented Martin Crowe from getting 300 all those years ago and this attitude that made it so it would be Brendon McCullum as the pinnacle of NZ batting achievement.

Don't be fooled by it folks.
Can anyone translate this to common sense for me please.

There is no sport that has a ****wit like Warner as its pinnacle, that I know of. Thank god it didn't come to pass.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
?

By the way, Crowe nicked out on 299 trying to run Ranatunga down, under no time pressure at all. Just in case it comes up in a quiz.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If there's one thing CW does poorly, it's declaration chat.

This is a Test Championship series, yes? 2-0 earns more than 1-0. Dum dum scoring 400 earns nothing. It's a team sport. There's rain forecast. And you're not allowed to revise your declaration once Pakistan are 90-6. Absolute no brainers.

Our sport does not need Warner as its pinnacle of batting achievement either.
I couldn't care less about how many runs Warner scored; I just don't really believe in first innings declarations in the same way Test captains seem to, so I wouldn't have declared then, even if Warner had been dismissed half an hour earlier and Head or Paine were batting. I don't think it was a terrible decision but it's not one I would made at that time. I totally agree that how many runs Warner was on shouldn't have factored into the decision though.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I couldn't care less about how many runs Warner scored; I just don't really believe in first innings declarations in the same way Test captains seem to, so I wouldn't have declared then, even if Warner had been dismissed half an hour earlier and Head or Paine were batting. I don't think it was a terrible decision but it's not one I would made at that time. I totally agree that how many runs Warner was on shouldn't have factored into the decision though.
Ok, that's a very well reasoned and considered viewpoint. Generally its oh they're 70-7 so we didn't need to declare/the game finished early, or we ran out of time to bowl them out therefore the declaration was automatically poor.

Brett Lee, who I loved as a cricketer but is an abysmal commentator, thought it was poor because it's not heavy rain forecast. Paine isnt a meteorologist (nor is Lee) and he's not a psychic. He just chose a reasonably specific time to declare then slightly moved that to fit in a milestone

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the common opinion on declarations is they're either good or bad depending on what happens after them. When Tim Paine chooses to declare has very little bearing on how Pakistan bats, his side bowls, and whether it decides to rain or not

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It was a great declaration. The only people who don't like it are people weirdly obsessed with obscure stats.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I think it was a good one. All the hysteria from past players and social media is pretty laughable. If a player hunted a milestone and cost their team victory, the same people would pull out their pitchforks. You can't have it all ways

oatmeal

Cricket Spectator
The weather forecast has eased a bit but I reckon Paine was playing it safe.

If most of the play was lost on day 3 and 4, the Cummins and Co would have a bit more than 4 sessions to bowl them out twice.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Some of these shots Babar plays are just dreamy. Good thing no nut November is finally over.

morgieb

I know this sounds like Gambhiring and we'll still win but I expect Pakistan to start to go a lot better over the next couple of days. Australia seem to time declarations/follow-ons poorly in D/N Tests and we've seen a lot of big turnarounds and near victories from the underdogs (West Indies in the UAE, Pakistan at Brisbane).

Also it's odd that Shah bats like a #11 outside of Australia yet can easily pass as an 8 here.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
The problem with the Lara score is that it's simply too big for any captain to feel comfortable with while timing his declaration. Warner despite his already monster score still had 65 runs to make and could conceivably have got out before he made them. Which would make Paine look a little weak in retrospect.

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Also don't agree with the sentiment expressed a couple of times here that Warner owning the record would be bad news for cricket. Whatever his past misdemeanors may be, making those many runs by default becomes a measuring stick for batting prowess. Warner's done his time and by all appearances seems almost becalmed after the ban, so no reason to feel he'd wear the record poorly.

OverratedSanity

Bit of a shame so many of babars quality knocks recently have been in meaningless situations because of how ****e his teammates are.