• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** Pakistan and England in the UAE 2015/16

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
2-1 is fair. Eng should have won the first, but Rashid played a dumb **** shot, deserved loss in the second, coming close is irrelevant really.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah I'm not saying the loss in the 2nd wasn't deserved, just that England weren't a million miles away from drawing it.

The 3rd's the biggest stretch, but 230 odd to get with 8 wickets in hand is definitely a winnable position IMO.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah I'm not saying the loss in the 2nd wasn't deserved, just that England weren't a million miles away from drawing it.

The 3rd's the biggest stretch, but 230 odd to get with 8 wickets in hand is definitely a winnable position IMO.
Had a better position at start of day 3, 12 behind with 6 wickets left.

Both tests were lost on day 3 really.

smash84

The Tiger King
Well done Misbah, I just hope you can stay put for another year or 2 to lead this team. You've done well

AndyZaltzHair

Hall of Fame Member
Hope Shahryar Khan or other top officials don't insist Misbah to continue. Let the man decide himself. Personally want him to carry on.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Really pleased by the series win. It is remarkable how much Misbah has accomplished, and under difficult circumstances. If this was his last series, what a way to go! Coming off this high from the Test series win and the #2 ranking, we are in for a let down. If the Pak/India series does not take pace (and I personally think there's low probability of it taking place), then Pakistan will have no Test series to play for another 7 months. Bummer.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah, first game could've easily swung their way if not for light, the second could have been a draw if Rashid hung on a while more. This was the only comprehensive loss imo. Scoreline of 2-0 does a disservice to England's efforts.
Yeah obviously ecstatic with the 2-0 result, but I think 1-1 would've been more representative. Luck was just on our side at all the right times.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah obviously ecstatic with the 2-0 result, but I think 1-1 would've been more representative. Luck was just on our side at all the right times.
I can't think of many other series that could have been so vastly different results wise if a few moments had gone another way. Each side could have won 2-1 or 2-0, or we could have had 1-1.

Niall

International Coach
Not sure England didn't have some luck though, Azhar missing 2 tests, Yasir going down on the eve of the first test, the Gohar debacle, and Shan Masood playing 2 tests. Credit to Pakistan for overcoming all that.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
2-0 was fair enough. I think if they'd kept on playing Pakistan would keep on punishing England for having no spinners. They are the better team in the conditions.

Root's series tailing off again was a little disappointing and if he really wants to become the undisputed number 1 test bat he needs to score some big hundreds instead of 80s and 130s.

Gotta admit I'm really looking forward to the odis. Intriguing series to see how England are developing.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Really pleased by the series win. It is remarkable how much Misbah has accomplished, and under difficult circumstances. If this was his last series, what a way to go! Coming off this high from the Test series win and the #2 ranking, we are in for a let down. If the Pak/India series does not take pace (and I personally think there's low probability of it taking place), then Pakistan will have no Test series to play for another 7 months. Bummer.
There's no way a test series is happening. India are playing South Africa all the way into December, and then travel to Australia in January. If anything, BCCI would give PCB some alms in the form of a 3 ODI series like in 2012.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Definitely in with a shout along with wasim.

Misbah won 20 games as a captain, Wasim won 12.

Between 1995 to 2000, Pakistan won 2, lost 5 & drew 1 in 8 home series, including home defeats to England and Australia. Although Wasim wasn't always captain, but the 'great 90s' era was actually a pretty poor time for Pakistan in tests.

2010-2015 under Misbah, Pakistan are yet to lose a home series.

Wasim has a far better ODI record and is perhaps Pakistan's best ODI captain (if you take out 92 WC, he surpasses Khan as well).

smash84

The Tiger King
Misbah won 20 games as a captain, Wasim won 12.

Between 1995 to 2000, Pakistan won 2, lost 5 & drew 1 in 8 home series, including home defeats to England and Australia. Although Wasim wasn't always captain, but the 'great 90s' era was actually a pretty poor time for Pakistan in tests.

2010-2015 under Misbah, Pakistan are yet to lose a home series.

Wasim has a far better ODI record and is perhaps Pakistan's best ODI captain (if you take out 92 WC, he surpasses Khan as well).
Wasim was pretty good as a test captain too actually. Won series in England. Won in SL (IIRC). Asian Test Championship as well. Should have won in WI as well if billy ****ing doctrove hadn't denied the bat pad. Also drew in 1997 SA didn't he?

Misbah has been pretty good in the UAE but lost 3-0 SA. He hasn't been challenged enough outside the UAE and whenever he has been that performance doesn't allow him to be rated above Wasim or Imran.

Edit: Also test cricket has become much more result oriented now so absolute number of wins is not an ideal indicator of anything.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Wasim was pretty good as a test captain too actually. Won series in England. Won in SL (IIRC). Asian Test Championship as well. Should have won in WI as well if billy ****ing doctrove hadn't denied the bat pad. Also drew in 1997 SA didn't he?

Misbah has been pretty good in the UAE but lost 3-0 SA. He hasn't been challenged enough outside the UAE and whenever he has been that performance doesn't allow him to be rated above Wasim or Imran.

Edit: Also test cricket has become much more result oriented now so absolute number of wins is not an ideal indicator of anything.
Wasim wasn't captain in those series.
West Indies - Moin Khan
South Africa - Rashid Latif/Saeed Anwar
Sri Lanka 2000 - Moin Khan

Wasim's greatest achievements as a test captain were winning in England in 96 and beating WI 3-0 at home.

If you talk about overseas
Misbah has won 1-0 in New Zealand
drew 1-1 in West Indies
won 2-1 in Sri Lanka

Pakistan have pretty much always lost in SA..they lost 0-2 in SA under Waqar, and 1-2 under Inzy.
South Africa is the best team in the world, so losing 0-3 to them is a bit like Wasim losing 0-3 in Australia 99.

Having said that, yes Misbah's record is mainly based on home domination, but as I pointed out, between 95 to 2000, Pakistan didn't win a lot at home either, losing to England, Sri Lanka, Australia etc.

Not his fault if Pakistan are not part of Big 3 and don't get to play England and Australia every other year. I am not saying they would have won, but he didn't even get an opportunity to play there.

Last edited: