• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand tour of Sri Lanka 2019

Raghav

International Vice-Captain
New Zealand to kick off their Test Championship in Sri Lanka.

August 8 to 10: Three-day warm-up game in Katunayake
August 14 to 18: 1st Test in Galle
August 22 to 26: 2nd Test at P Sara Oval in Colombo
August 29: T20 warm-up game in Katunayake
August 31: 1 st T20I at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo
September 2: 2nd T20I at R Premadasa Stadium in Colombo
September 6: 3rd T20I in Pallekele

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't think I'll be ready to handle watching cricket again in time for this.

Jezroy

State Captain
Just to remind everyone what our test team looks like - and who I think should be there

Raval
Latham
Kane
Ross
Nicholls
BJ
CDG or Neesh
Two of Santner/Somerville/Ajaz

Wagner
Boult

Wouldn’t take Sodhi or Astle. Don’t rate either of them at this stage to take wickets or keep it tight.

Take Southee as spare fast bowler. With Neesh and CDG there, I expect we’ll have seam bowling covered.

Then do they take a spare batsman, or does Neesham cover that and Nicholls can open? Since they can’t take Young who’s obviously next cab off the rank now.

Let’s get this World Test Championship off to a good start and get our butts back to Lords!

Flem274*

123/5
i was thinking about this yesterday at work to take my mind off the cancelled final and imo we should go horses for courses. cdg out, trust santner at #7. i know my mantra is wickets are everything in tests but his bowling should be effective on these pitches.

latham
raval
kane
ross
nicholls
watling
santa
southee
wagner
ajaz
boult

ajaz is our most subcontinenty finger spinner so i would play him. the rest of the squad would be cdg, ferguson, somerville and blundell.

for the england series santner would leave the squad or remain as spin cover unless he piles on the runs this tour. neesham would take over as reserve allrounder. potentially somerville comes in for ajaz at home.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
TIL we haven't toured Sri Lanka in 7 years.

Spin bowling all-rounder, with Somerville being variety to Santner:
1. Latham
2. Raval
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Nicholls
6. Watling+
7. Santner
8. Wagner
9. Southee
10. Somerville
11. Boult

Two seamers
1. Raval
2. Latham
3. Williamson
4. Taylor
5. Nicholls
6. Watling+
7. Santner
8. Somerville
9. Patel
10. Southee
11. Boult

vandem

International 12th Man
I would take de Grandhomme in the squad. We may want the option of Boult + de Grandhomme with the new ball, Wags doing Wags stuff, 2 spinners. Gives you a third option to the 3 seamers or 2 seamers XI mentioned by NZTailender above.

The selector's choice of a 2nd front line spinner to partner Ajaz will be interesting. At the end of the NZ summer they went for Astle, partly due to batting, partly due to him being the incumbent and then injured before the UAE tests, and IMHO partly due to his succes in Cant Plunket Shield under Stead. I would pick Ajaz + Sommerville.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Since they can’t take Young who’s obviously next cab off the rank now.
Well the last time NZA was in a part of the world that had them examining their spin-centric FC batting depth, Larsen would've felt very vindicated on the prospects of Ravindra maybe being middle-order batting cover for this tour, if you'd told him Young was unavailable.

I mean he's likely to have had a chat with Raval, who's going to tell him Rachin's found a pretty equal match in Ranji Division 3 Pondicherrian academy spinners on tricky wickets. Larsen then probably asked "how many have you been scoring against the same attacks?". He's done him there, which gets Rachin immediately back in the frame.

Greenlite

U19 Debutant
I remember he declared to try to win the game at 274 not out, then the bowlers couldn't do the job, as usual, lol

I would have taken the 300, lol

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
When is the team announced?

I wonder if a few players will opt out post CWC heartbreak/mental and physical exhaustion and after the church attacks in SL.

I’m especially interested in spinners picked from Somerville, Ajaz, Santner, Astle, Sodhi, and Ravindra (who is better than part-timer)