• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in South Africa

thierry henry

International Coach
Elgar just looked completely crap. This doesn't mean he's not better than all of the NZ batsmen or that he won't be able to turn his talent for not getting out into consistent test runs, but he still looked crap.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
He didn't edge a whole lot, if he had, he would be of been out a lot earlier. It wasn't the greatest bowling up, but he can't help it if we are playing minnows??
"106.3
Patel to Elgar, no run, hmmm, that wasn't very convincing, the ball was tossed up around leg stump, Elgar launched into a slog-sweep, missed entirely, there was just a flick of pad through to the keeper - and it wasn't far from hitting leg, either
Patel to Elgar, no run, ooh, a half-chance there, as Elgar misjudges the length, tries a pre-meditated sweep but realises he's not to the pitch, pulling out late and the ball pops off the edge wide of slip
Patel to Elgar, no run, Patel's arm ball nearly does for Elgar this time, as he goes back and chops hastily away from in front of his stumps, almost surprised by it going straight on "
Against one of the poorer spinners in international cricket in horrible form :laugh:

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
He didn't edge a whole lot, if he had, he would be of been out a lot earlier. It wasn't the greatest bowling up, but he can't help it if we are playing minnows??

Take away Bangladesh and Zim, how many of your batsmen average more than 25 in Tests???
Our batsmen suck? Now there's a revelation. Cutsdeepman

sorry pews I bit

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Going to go out on a limb and say that talk of New Zealand being in the top three teams in test cricket in a few years time was premature.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Going to go out on a limb and say that talk of New Zealand being in the top three teams in test cricket in a few years time was premature.
I'm confident that the third golden age of the Black Caps is only 3-4 years away. Our bowlers will have experience and our Batting will be the strongest since the Flemming era.

sphynx

U19 Debutant
I'm confident that the third golden age of the Black Caps is only 3-4 years away. Our bowlers will have experience and our Batting will be the strongest since the Flemming era.
Australia's probably got it's strongest stock of young quicks since the 70's imo.

Steyn, Philander and Morkel will still be around.

Pakistan has a decent attack, Finn and Broad will still be around.

Can't see their attack being top 3, let alone their entire side.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

Take away Bangladesh and Zim, how many of your batsmen average more than 25 in Tests???
Calling the ******** kid a ******. We all know it, you don't look any better pointing out the obvious.

Elgar just looked completely crap. This doesn't mean he's not better than all of the NZ batsmen or that he won't be able to turn his talent for not getting out into consistent test runs, but he still looked crap.
I watched replays today. Elgar is just weird. I mean, we point to guys like Katich, Collingwood, Chanderpaul etc who make success out of different, awkward type techniques (though I love(d) watching all 3 of those guys bat), Elgar just look like a completely different kettle of fish. I swear the ball didn't go where he was intending for a lot olf his shots, and he even jumped backwards, both feet off the ground for a shot. Streaky as. Against a better, more refined and consistent bowling attack he'd struggle. If he can turn his weird shot style into an unorthodox success, then fairplay to him. I just didn't see anything from him that puts him in the same class as the six above him, nor will he reach those dizzying heights.

Yeah, who said that originally? Even with all our bowlers, batsmen and having a unified team and management system, we'd probably attain 4th spot, and be able to compete more with the top 3 than we do now, but that call is over-optimistic.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular
Yeah, who said that originally? Even with all our bowlers, batsmen and having a unified team and management system, we'd probably attain 4th spot, and be able to compete more with the top 3 than we do now, but that call is over-optimistic.
It was suggested by quite a few people in the what will the teams be ranked in 5 years, somehow its changed to 3 years over here

Last edited:

jcas0167

International Debutant
I realise this was a rhetorical question :) but anyway here are their averages after removing those teams. Overall average is in brackets:

McCullum 30.82 (35.33)

Guptill 24.72 (30.29)

Williamson 29.03 (30.82)

Brownlie 32.46 (32.93)

Flynn 22.8 (26.61)

Watling 19.92 (29.78)

Also, unavailable for this test series:

Taylor 40.32 (42.57)

Ryder 37.93 (40.93)

Vettori 24.53 (30.10)

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what are people's thoughts re Doull's pre-match comments that Patel shouldn't ever play for the Blackcaps again after his running away from the bowling in the first test? Fair or over the top?

kykweer.proteas

International Debutant
Now you kiwis know how we felt after the tri nations last year lol....

And tbf, the way steyn bowled yesterday he would have made most teams look ordinary, I rate if he starts today with the same rhythm the game won't see a fourth day.