• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not much has been said about SA here. Your thoughts and selections?

Smith
Dippenar
Kallis
Gibbs
Prince
DeVilliers
Boucher
Pollock
Ntini
Steyn
Nel

I don't know many SA players though so is there anyone obvious I'm missing? Tempted to put Robin Petersen in as the wickets so far during the 20/20 have been good spinners wickets.
Kallis hasn't batted three in a Test since 2001. If that were the top-four, the three openers - in whatever order - would open up. And as mentioned - Harris > Petersen by a fair bit. :p But I'd still prefer an all-seam SA attack.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Since the green wickets India played on against us? Yeah, probably :laugh: He's God on a seeming wicket, but he's pretty average otherwise.
Yeah I've always said exactly that about Oram, but surely he must have played on some green seamers at least a bit in recent Tests\First-Class games and has barely seemed to have done a thing even so.

I think we can fairly safely presume this wicket is a nice seamer, but even so it's heartening to see him capitalise.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes, was going to ask Goughy if he'd seen any of these Safrican seamers, has they seem to have bowled well. Yet the pitch maybe the decisive feature in this match. All-out 91.

Tsotsobe has turned in impressive figures in his embryonic career, but not sure what you can make of that yet, though.

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Papps with two failures. Not looking good. :(
Papps has a very solid domestic year behind him; I think that's a huge bonus not many NZ players have to fall back on.

He's played well against SA in the past, and I think the time is right for him now. Interesting opening partnership we have, though... it'll be a bit of an oldschool 50/0 at lunch I think :laugh:

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
Yeah I've always said exactly that about Oram, but surely he must have played on some green seamers at least a bit in recent Tests\First-Class games and has barely seemed to have done a thing even so.

I think we can fairly safely presume this wicket is a nice seamer, but even so it's heartening to see him capitalise.
We haven't played a Test since December, and I can't even remember what the wickets were like to be honest (did Oram even play?). Not sure about FC.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting opening partnership we have, though... it'll be a bit of an oldschool 50/0 at lunch I think :laugh:
Which is naturally far better than 70 for 2.

Mind, I must say that if I were Pollock, Nel, Ntini, Steyn or someone along those lines I'd be licking my lips.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Absolute hiding for the invites. However, there is the positive that this unfortunate side did restrict the New Zealanders and only their lower middle order i.e. the guys who can really bat made any hay. Aside from Cummings of course who will surely will be back to his famed best against South Africa A next week. Speaking of the A team, the side has been announced and unlike the invitational side it features cricketers who can hold a bat.

Boeta Dippenaar (capt), Morne van Wyk (wk), Alviro Petersen, Neil McKenzie, Jean-Paul Duminy, Gulam Bodi, Albie Morkel, Thandi Tshabalala, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Friedel de Wet, Charl Langeveldt. 12th man: Werner Coetsee

Side looks fairly strong and it ought to be a good test for the New Zealanders. Fascinating to see how the bowlers get on (even with Potchefstroom usually being one big road) for by South African standards its an extremely varied attack – lively pace from de Wet, genuine swing from Langeveldt, Tsotsobe can swing and seam the ball both ways and Albie Morkel has been on the whole excellent in Pakistan. Only concern would be with Tshabalala but after seeing Johan Botha over the past week or so, he can’t be that bad and I now advocate anyone but Johan - who unfortunately still looks like he chucks it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Papps has a very solid domestic year behind him; I think that's a huge bonus not many NZ players have to fall back on.

He's played well against SA in the past, and I think the time is right for him now. Interesting opening partnership we have, though... it'll be a bit of an oldschool 50/0 at lunch I think :laugh:
Unfortunately not in test cricket...

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

I no longer bet but If anyone wants 'easy' money lay heavily on Papps scoring extremely lightly in this series (as well as the Pig). Wise money on Brendon McCullum, South Africans hate batsman of his type.

Flem274*

123/5
Unfortunately not in test cricket...

http://stats.cricinfo.com/guru?sdb=...edhigh=;csearch=;submit=1;.cgifields=viewtype

I no longer bet but If anyone wants 'easy' money lay heavily on Papps scoring extremely lightly in this series (as well as the Pig). Wise money on Brendon McCullum, South Africans hate batsman of his type.
Papps has been pretty dire in tests full stop so far. I do back him to come right though.

I'd be interested to know why the yarpies would hate McCullum? Don't they like aggression or something?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Speaking of the A team, the side has been announced and unlike the invitational side it features cricketers who can hold a bat.
So Morne van Wyk, Imraan Khan, Zander de Bruyn, Ahmed Amla, Davey Jacobs and Jon Kent aren't cricketers who can hold a bat? :huh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lots, I think.

Kallis is big enough to avoid his play being affected, beyond doubt, but I doubt anyone would expect him to take kindly to it.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
So Morne van Wyk, Imraan Khan, Zander de Bruyn, Ahmed Amla, Davey Jacobs and Jon Kent aren't cricketers who can hold a bat? :huh:
I was being hyperbole. I rate van Wyk and Jacobs, even though lateral movement isn't his friend but the rest are fairly insignificant especially the Kwa-Zulu lads.