• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I can uderstand where he's coming from with Vincent because of the inconsistency and getting dropped and what not but McCullum IIRC has an average of 38-39 and has been one of our best wicketkeeper batsmen ever. Quality player...as long as he isn't opening or something stupid like that.
McCullum averages 26.12, and has so far only scored with anything resembling consistency against England.

And some people seem - I cite the above post as evidence - to rather overrate his deeds.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Thats why you'll never change your opinion methinks.
It's not, though. I change my opinion far less often than most, because I take far more convincing of something than most, but look around CW (or better still get me to tell you my life-story :ph34r:) and you'll find an amount of examples of me doing so.

Flem274*

123/5
McCullum averages 26.12, and has so far only scored with anything resembling consistency against England.

And some people seem - I cite the above post as evidence - to rather overrate his deeds.
And that proves that i should always double check before posting averages.

26...could be worse. I expect him to improve with experience and age.

And how is the fact he saves us overrating him? I know he fails alot to due to his inconsistency but no one can deny he's one of best match savers in the team. I'd say only behind the pig and Vettori.

Athlai

Not Terrible
And that proves that i should always double check before posting averages.

26...could be worse. I expect him to improve with experience and age.

And how is the fact he saves us overrating him? I know he fails alot to due to his inconsistency but no one can deny he's one of best match savers in the team. I'd say only behind the pig and Vettori.
26 excluding Bangers and Zim Phlegm, thats how Richie see's all averages. Actual average of 32.13.

Flem274*

123/5
It's not, though. I change my opinion far less often than most, because I take far more convincing of something than most, but look around CW (or better still get me to tell you my life-story :ph34r:) and you'll find an amount of examples of me doing so.
Oooh a life story. Richard the walking talking soap opera. Please tell all.:p

The thing is though, if you don't want to change your mind then its pretty hard for someone to change it.

Example: Richards long lost evil brother from another mother hates custard squares. Despite being shown all the evidence in the world that they are great he still won't change his mind because he does not want to and therefore he dies ignorant to the custard squares greatness and is sent to hell. The end.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
And how is the fact he saves us overrating him?
Nah, I don't think he was saying that. I think he was saying that the fact you thought his average was about 10 runs higher than it actually is was a good example of how people generally think he has done better than he actually has.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, I don't think he was saying that. I think he was saying that the fact you thought his average was about 10 runs higher than it actually is was a good example of how people generally think he has done better than he actually has.
I'm pretty sure it was a short time ago. I've gone and mixed up current averages with Ricky Ponting Cricket 2005 averages. Its 38-39 then. Poor game it must be said. AI scores slower than Mark Richardson and doesn't hit straight.

Athlai

Not Terrible
McCullum has failed (0-15 IMO excluding not outs) 15 out of 39 times. 38% of the time fail rate.

Vettori has done so 50 out of 105 times. 48% of the time.

Fleming 67 out of 177 times. 38%

Piggo 17 out of 44. 38%

Oram 16 from 39 41%

Vincent 19 from 38 50%

Gilchrist 45 from 129 35%
Boucher 57 from 148 39%
Sanga 32 from 110 29%

Interesting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The thing is though, if you don't want to change your mind then its pretty hard for someone to change it.
That's true, and it's true for every single person on this board - only a tiny handful of discussions result in a change of mind for either person.

Usually, once something is in the past no-one changes their mind about it - people do change their mind about players, but usually it's because the player's performances have changed.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And just to confirm... that was what I meant BTW.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
No, whats fact is Bangladesh is a test nation. No matter how hard you will it away, they're classified as test class. Tests against them get included in an average, and therefore McCullum's average is in the 30's. Those are the facts.

Your opinion is just that. An opinion.

NZ Tailender is spot on. Zimbabwe and bangladesh are playing test cricket so they are test class. That is a fact, your statement richard is an opinion.

Although I do know what you are trying to do by taking out stats vs Zim and bangladesh so no point going further on that.

I rate mccullum very highly but as a batsman those stats show he hasn't actually progressed that much. I really think he should be batting higher up in the order, would suit him more.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
No, whats fact is Bangladesh is a test nation. No matter how hard you will it away, they're classified as test class.
The classification's wrong though, anyone with an ounce of understanding of cricket and no "agenda" can see that. Not just me.