• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as non-A-team tour-games go, this was certainly a decent batting-line-up.

Has he taken such good figures in any First-Class game any time recently? I can't imagine he's played many to have the chance.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Has he taken such good figures in any First-Class game any time recently? I can't imagine he's played many to have the chance.
If you look back on his test bowling performances in his last few matches, he's bowled OK without being dominant. He's chipped in with 0/27, 2/44, 1/24, 0/20, 0/8, 2/30, 1/19 & 1/10.

However, I think his image has suffered from bowling in ODI's where he has looked really quite ordinary with some performances like 0/40 and 0/50 punched up with 3/50 here and there.

Though he did seem to have a good World and ICC Cup, statistically, but a very poor CB series where he didn't seem to trouble anyone with anything.

Last edited:

NZTailender

As far as non-A-team tour-games go, this was certainly a decent batting-line-up.
I keep forgetting how low Amla's average just is. Just 32, yet he always seems to score runs against us. If you compare the FC averages of the teams (and minus Fleming) they're pretty even.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I keep forgetting how low Amla's average just is. Just 32, yet he always seems to score runs against us. If you compare the FC averages of the teams (and minus Fleming) they're pretty even.
Different Amla. :p

The Amla that plays tests has a first class average of around 43. His test average is only 25 though.

Flem274*

123/5
Not much has been said about SA here. Your thoughts and selections?

Smith
Dippenar
Kallis
Gibbs
Prince
DeVilliers
Boucher
Pollock
Ntini
Steyn
Nel

I don't know many SA players though so is there anyone obvious I'm missing? Tempted to put Robin Petersen in as the wickets so far during the 20/20 have been good spinners wickets.

NZTailender

No Harris? Insanity. Will play instead of Nel for mine.

Gibbs to partner Smith with Amla to slot in at 5 with prince at 4. Otherwise, all seems fine with that team.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not much has been said about SA here. Your thoughts and selections?

Smith
Dippenar
Kallis
Gibbs
Prince
DeVilliers
Boucher
Pollock
Ntini
Steyn
Nel

I don't know many SA players though so is there anyone obvious I'm missing? Tempted to put Robin Petersen in as the wickets so far during the 20/20 have been good spinners wickets.
Amla will play and Gibbs will open, even though I strongly advise against both.

Harris will play. Probably ahead of Nel.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Since the green wickets India played on against us? Yeah, probably :laugh: He's God on a seeming wicket, but he's pretty average otherwise.
Yes Green or seaming wickets do help him, but there is skilled involved when you can take more of the wickets than the 'best fast bowler' Bond in the same conditions. However playing on seaming wickets could be beneficial confidence and rhythm wise and what I have heard in interviews from himself and other fast bowling co-horts say that his bowling rhythm wise is good. So in conclusion, we just have to wait until the first test match and see what happens.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Craig Cumming with 62* runs out of 71 scored, pretty impressive stuff. Disappointing to see Papps failing twice, especially against low quality bowling. With the exception of Tsotsobe this attack is pretty toothless. Would've been good to see Fleming knock up a few more in the second innings just too confirm in his mind that he's in nice touch.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pretty well cleaned up in our second innings, Cumming putting his hand up but everybody else was woeful. Need a good bowling effort.