• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official New Zealand in India Nov-Dec 2021 Thread***

nzfan

International Vice-Captain
I'm going to ask the commentator's question, why isn't Ajaz not bowling in the rough to left hander Axar?

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I'm going to ask the commentator's question, why isn't Ajaz not bowling in the rough to left hander Axar?
I was surprised earlier to see Ajaz's career average better vs LHB than RHB. So both our spinners less effective against the right handers.

Moss

One of the many advantages of Wagner is that he actually fulfils some of the criteria that could lead to you opting for a spinner anyway, in that he can bowl long spells if needed and his style (and left-arm-ness) means he provides a point of difference from other pace bowlers. It's not like us taking Anderson, Broad and Woakes to the SC where any one or two of them indivually would be fine to pick, but all three together is probably asking for trouble
I think everyone probably overestimated how much this pitch would turn/deteriorate (and thus bring middling spinners into play), or at least the pace at which it would do so. As a spinner here there’s help to be gained, but clearly you really to work for it and be aided by some imaginative captaincy probably. So yeah, wrong call to leave out Wagner but guess it was done in anticipation of this being more of a classic square turner.

Meridio

International Regular
Somerville just looks so unthreatening here. It's a late day 4 wicket, and he's barely turning it off the straight. Need to give our quicks a rest before the new ball now though so think it needs to be spin from both ends for a bit.

Moss

This has been such a great test match-up infact I'm struggling to think of a better 4 days of cricket ever.
Black caps have been excellent but gotta give credit to India's fight too.. from NZ being 190/1 and Then India 51/5 . What a game
India at home are very difficult to roll over. No doubt this brings back painful Bhajji-century memories for NZ fans, but even earlier this year Ashwin hit a 3rd innings century against England at Chennai, when they were clawing back after being well behibd in the game.

nzfan

I find it hard to understand without hindsight how would we have gone into a test match without Ajaz and Sommerville. Past series in sub continent this is what we've done, play with both of them + Santner when available and it paid off. Obviously no one agrees Santner should be playing.

We could have gone with Wagner for Ravindra but then no one agrees Kyle should be batting at no.7 We'd have Southee at 8, Wagner at 9, Somerville at 10 and Ajaz at 11. What if we had to chase 200?

Just too many ifs and buts. I guess for Mumbai test we're definitely going with 3 seamers. And I guess Santner :-)

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The spinners have been mediocre but havent really been helped by the fields have they? Really have no clue what KW has been doing today. Has let India off the hook massively. Lack of slips to the pacers, no short leg to the spinners, not plugging third man all day. Very confusing.