• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in India 2016

Shady Slim

International Coach
i know it won't happen but i've seen craig suggested as an opener

is that a horrendously bad idea that could work or just a horrendously bad idea

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I assumed Rahul with the gloves

I'd have Saha though. Guy is so unfairly derided on here it's unbelievable.
Considering it's a series where there'll be lots of spin on tricky wickets, we'd be idiots not to pick the better gloveman.

Also Vijay will definitely play, as will Pujara and Rahul. Rohit being in the side is solely dependent on whether or not we choose to go in with 4 bowlers. We saw this in the last test in the WI.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ooh, report says that the pitch will be flat for the first couple of days before it starts to break up. Doesn't look like it's going to be a repeat of SA. This probably means five bowlers for India and just one spinner plus Santner for NZ.

Toss will be pretty big. Batting first when it's easy and then not having to chase in the 4th is huge.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
It's the issue with the typical Indian wicket. Toss tends to become crucial unless the visiting muck up their first innings with bat like Australia did in 2013

Howsie

International Captain
Neesham out injured for the first test, surprise, surprise. I can totally see this XI playing now:

Latham
Guptill
Williamson
Taylor
Nicholls
Watling
Santner
Bracewell
Craig
Wagner
Boult

I honestly (bar Boult's opening spell) wouldn't be able to watch us bowl. First time I've said that since the days of Martin, Tuffey and co.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Sodhi must've really brightened up Howsie's evenings with those Zimbabwe spells. Possibly devised some of kind of pitch map twister drinking game up there.

Howsie

International Captain
Just as you obviously enjoyed watching Craig pumped within an inch of his life against the spin killers of Australia all summer long :sleep:

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah Jeets told the Wellington journos back in 2014 he'd have come back into the New Zealand fold if they wanted him as the first choice spinner, i.e. not the second spinner to Ish Sodhi.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nah Jeets told the Wellington journos back in 2014 he'd have come back into the New Zealand fold if they wanted him as the first choice spinner, i.e. not the second spinner to Ish Sodhi.
Have always thought that effectively meant he would come back into the fold if given a NZ contract again, but I can't see that happening.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah indeed. 36 is just laughably over the hill in a Kiwi context.

New Zealand cricket people, more than most, obviously see sport at its most engrossing when the thrills are really being laid on with a trowel. Often by Tim Southee-style 'naturals', who've pretty much got their highlights anthology locked in and completed by the age of 27 or so. These guys can often only cure their 'dummy with some money' blues by becoming publicans, or getting into the racing industry in a big way.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Have always thought that effectively meant he would come back into the fold if given a NZ contract again, but I can't see that happening.
The only way I could've seen Jeets ever playing for NZ again would've been if you and Kippax had snuck into Mark Craig's hotel room on the day before the 2014 Lord's test, and broken his fingers.The subsequent scramble for an 11th hour replacement would've revealed Jeets as the only option. His match-winning haul of 16/132 would've then paved the way for him to pass Hadlee's record sometime in the early 2020's.

Howsie

International Captain
I hope he was laughed at. How a guy who has a test average of nigh on 50 thinks he has the right to make demands I have no idea. That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in ages. Wow.

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
The only way I could've seen Jeets ever playing for NZ again would've been if you and Kippax had snuck into Mark Craig's hotel room on the day before the 2014 Lord's test, and broken his fingers.The subsequent scramble for an 11th hour replacement would've revealed Jeets as the only option. His match-winning haul of 16/132 would've then paved the way for him to pass Hadlee's record sometime in the early 2020's.
You know even then they wouldn't pick him would have gone four seamers. They played four seamers at Headingly in 2013 with Bruce injured. Swann took 10 wickets in that game if i remember correctly.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
I hope he was laughed at. How a guy who has a test average of nigh on 50 thinks he has the right to make demands I have no idea. That is quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in ages. Wow.
I await the sight of Ish Sodhi: Wisden Cricketer of the Year with interest. Not having anxiety episodes on the eve of Tests against Zimbabwe will be a key for him there.

Howsie

International Captain
It must hurt that a bowler as baaaaaaaad as Ish Sodhi has a better test record than 36 year old Jeetan Patel.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
It must hurt that a bowler as baaaaaaaad as Ish Sodhi has a better test record than 36 year old Jeetan Patel.
'Better'. I would tend to go for 'not worse' at 46s.

That's fine though, Ish is from Papatoetoe and by the bounds of the Unitary Plan, I'm sure you can drop him like a hot potato if he goes for 0-100 in the first Test.