• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Wagner really is exactly the sort of cricketer that Botham would over-rate. No surprises.
I've been reading all the series build-up articles on cricinfo and following the tour matches and various commentary and I've been surprised by the repeated assertions from all sorts of commentators that Wagner was one of, if not THE, standout bowler for NZ in the home series. Where did this come from? He was ok, he put in the effort, but his bowling could best be described as 'mixed'. Yet it seems to have become a self-reinforcing chorus from commentators (inc Botham) and writers that Wagner was in fact really good in that home series. I think they're confusing effort and huff and puff with performance - a case of selective memory.

In a similar vein, there's been a chorus building about how good McCullum's captaincy is. I see no real reason for this - a few commentators (Hussain etc) decided McCullum possessed je ne sais quoi and that they approved of his captaincy. I've seen comments along these lines all over the place since then and now there is an article in cricinfo on what a good captain McCullum is. It's all quite amusing.

At least in the case of the captaincy, perception affects perception, which affects reality - McCullum may become a good captain because everyone seems to believe he is a good captain..

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What are we playing at against Martin, he's barely got a rhythm up and we've nearly gifted him two wickets?

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
I've been reading all the series build-up articles on cricinfo and following the tour matches and various commentary and I've been surprised by the repeated assertions from all sorts of commentators that Wagner was one of, if not THE, standout bowler for NZ in the home series. Where did this come from? He was ok, he put in the effort, but his bowling could best be described as 'mixed'. Yet it seems to have become a self-reinforcing chorus from commentators (inc Botham) and writers that Wagner was in fact really good in that home series. I think they're confusing effort and huff and puff with performance - a case of selective memory.
It's just because he picked up the most wickets. Same reason everyone whinged when Finn got dropped for Bresnan in the Ashes, despite bowling progressively worse garbage as the series went on. We had people like Holding saying he was concerned England were trying to booster the batting after Perth, and about a year later people like Botham were still making cynical comments about how Finn was dropped despite being the leading wicket taker at the time.

I wonder if they actually watch the cricket at times.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
In a similar vein, there's been a chorus building about how good McCullum's captaincy is. I see no real reason for this - a few commentators (Hussain etc) decided McCullum possessed je ne sais quoi and that they approved of his captaincy. I've seen comments along these lines all over the place since then and now there is an article in cricinfo on what a good captain McCullum is. It's all quite amusing.

At least in the case of the captaincy, perception affects perception, which affects reality - McCullum may become a good captain because everyone seems to believe he is a good captain..
I actually think there's been plenty of evidence to support the theory that McCullum is a good captain. Sets aggressive fields, backs his bowlers, not afraid to pursue unconventional changes... he's no Stephen Fleming but he's made an excellent start.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, one session in and Sky Sport already switches the focus to the ashes. The England team may not be treating this series as just a warmup, but everyone else certainly is.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I actually think there's been plenty of evidence to support the theory that McCullum is a good captain. Sets aggressive fields, backs his bowlers, not afraid to pursue unconventional changes... he's no Stephen Fleming but he's made an excellent start.
That's not evidence of a good captain, those are just methods. But the team has been playing quite well under him mostly.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, one session in and Sky Sport already switches the focus to the ashes. The England team may not be treating this series as just a warmup, but everyone else certainly is.
Yeah its pretty annoying tbh, some cricinfo articles doing the same thing. Serious fans certainly not treating this series with the same levity.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah its pretty annoying tbh, some cricinfo articles doing the same thing. Serious fans certainly not treating this series with the same levity.
It's disgraceful really, incredibly disrespectful and condescending to the Kiwis IMO.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
They're not talking about the Ashes right now...?
Just before the break they were advertising some feature on how the England team are shaping up for the Ashes, assume they're going to play it in a minute.

Edit: There you go.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Lovely start from Southee after the break, but again Cook is looking completely untroubled.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ugh hate those. They should really be out. It's as out as it's possible to be under DRS without being given out.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Umpire's call? Really? Looked like about 80% in line and about 80% hitting the stumps.

Either way, Boult very unlucky there.