• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
England would make a good IPL team, but they'd only be aloud 4 foreigners!
So an extra one to the three (and seriously, if we're classing people that grew up here and had grandparents playing for England as foreigners we're really pushing it) that will play in the first test?

That's nice. Who do we get?

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Surely there is a South African player who can bat at 6 for you??
Haha, good one Einstein, but since you ask, yes we do.......and a fine No6 he'd be at that. Matthew Prior.

Don't let the fact that he moved to England at age 11 and has played all of his cricket there stop you either.

But back to the topic of the thread. England may not have yet resolved the troublesome No 6 position but IMO the options are looking are lot more healthy than they were 2 or 3 years ago.

Since Collingwood they have messed around with; Morgan, Patel, Bairstow, Bopara and Taylor with little success from any of them. I know it is still very early to make this call but the most comfortable player I've seen in the position and the one that just "feels" right so far is Joe Root. And I do know I say that despite 1 good test match in India followed by 3 poor ones in NZ........but I do see a lot of potential in this lad.

But the main advantage we have now that we really didn't have after the retirement of Colly is that Matty Prior is currently more than good enough to move up the order and make the No6 his own.......finding a No7 is now a much easier prospect with several viable candidates and gives us the real option of fielding 5 bowlers again.......an option I love but doesn't seem to fit with Flowers plans.

the big bambino

International Captain
Finn is more than capable. For all of the premature hailing of Australia's fast bowling talent we'd be happy to have him on our side.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
You do realise that this mistaken identity bull**** is why you're about to lose to upper**** in the Battle of the Members, right?

Flem274*

123/5
Athlai would do himself an injury if he tried to be anything exciting like myself or Han Solo. He's made for being behind the camera, not in front.

Athlai was mk I, and I'm mk II. The new and improved version.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Liked what I saw from Root.

The real question for England is whether they can sort their bowlers out. Finn looked like Ishant Sharma.
I don't really agree with this. Whatever you think of Broad, Anderson and Swann they are all solid international performers. Whoeveer gets the fourth spot (and finn was trash in nz) they're gonna be a decent bowler. Bresnan, Finn, Onions, Tremlett- they all average 32 or less in test cricket- and they're all back playing. I'm not too worried about the bowling. I feel in this case it will fall into place rather nicely. None of the bowlers are great but they're all experienced in english conditions and in test cricket.

The batting for me is the worry. There are question marks over 3 of the top 7. Compton will open with Cook but is average. KP is a crock and major worry. And finally whoever goes 6 isn't ready for international cricket. Root, Bairstow, Taylor none are really ready and are been forced to play too early imo but needs must.

I don't have high hopes for Compton, Root and whoever replaces KP against NZ and possibly AUS, and for this reason there is an added pressure on Cook, Trott, Bell and Prior. They have got to perform or we could lose to both NZ and AUS.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't have high hopes for Compton, Root and whoever replaces KP against NZ and possibly AUS, and for this reason there is an added pressure on Cook, Trott, Bell and Prior. They have got to perform or we could lose to both NZ and AUS.
Blimey mate......bit early for panic stations:wacko:

Don't get me wrong, I know this English team has a way to go and I'm certainly not attempting to elevate them to a level where they are not........but I don't think I'm overstating them as a side when I say they are considerably stronger than both our test opponents this summer. If we lose at home in either of these series it will be a massive underachievement and well, extremely disappointing.

As for Compton and Root, this comes down to opinion I suppose as to what we see in them...... personally I'm very comfortable with both in the side and think the two of them have the potential to become very good cricketers. Performances to date have certainly been mixed though and only time will tell which of us have got them pegged right.

BeeGee

International Captain
The loss of KP is a big blow, but I think the chances of you losing the series against NZ are virtually nil. Barring wash outs, I expect 2-0 to England. England just seemed off their game for the NZ tour (for whatever reason), but I expect they will have put that behind them now.

Root and Compton will find it much easier in familiar batting conditions.

And any concerns you have over England's batting pale in comparison to Australia's current batting woes.