• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in England series 2013

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England T20 squad v NZ: Morgan Ballance Bopara Briggs Buttler Dernbach Hales Lumb Pietersen Rankin Stokes Tredwell Woakes Wright.

Stokes forgiven, KP in for the second match, Ballance in.

Quite an interesting squad for some fairly meaningless matches.

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Most significant probably is Samit Patel is missing again. Suggests they've decided to move on from him permanently.

naff bowling options. I'd definitely be playing Tredwell and Briggs

Hales(KP), Lumb, Wright, Morgan, Ballance, Buttler, Stokes, Tredwell, Briggs, Dernbach, Rankin.

ugh Bopara is in there and bound to play. Probably instead of Stokes.

ohnoitsyou

International Regular

RxGM

U19 Vice-Captain
I dont think they saw much point in flying over extra players for a couple of festival games,
I assume that Hira is already in England, as well.

theegyptian

New Zealand in England 2013 : Hamish Rutherford, Tom Latham picked for T20 squad | Cricket News | England v New Zealand | ESPN Cricinfo

looks a decent enough squad, but there are better picks that Rutherford, plus Munro and Franklin should be out of the squad

Weird that Vettori is out, but i suppose they want to rest his achilles.
Its really disappointing to see Hira still in the squad considering Beard bowled much better last season, and he was only ever average at best when he was on song
Vettori is having an achilles op in london apparently.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ballance getting some recognition is cool
Yeah it is. I still held out hope of him being convinced to play for Zimbabwe so it's a bit disappointing on that front - even if he does change his mind, he can't play for them for another four years now - but that's not England's problem at all.

Viscount Tom

International Debutant
If Ballance played for Zim he'd be in the test squad straight off the bat, but I don't think he could play county for a while if he did given the points system or however it is they work it out for overseas players.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
Do not want Latham keeping. He has too much potential as a batsman. Don't want him turning into another McCullum.

Just pick Watling for all 3 formats and be done with it. No idea why we need 4 wicketkeepers.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Not sure if this has already been posted........but WTF is the point of these 2 T20 games right now?? I was wondering why this thread was still a sticky, only just realised these 2 games were scheduled.

I got quite narky about talk of the ENG/NZ test series being an Hors d'œuvre to the Ashes, thought it was incredibly disrespectful to both teams........but seriously, now that we should be focusing on the Ashes we are ****ing around with this ****s and giggles crap. Terrible scheduling.

I realise from the squad that only KP is a test player and he could use a run but even for the management and backroom staff.........more important things to be thinking of right now.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
A lot of the backroom staff is different though. No Flower or Giles for example. Really, they're going to play tests, ODI's and T20's on a tour, and with the Champions Trophy it was always going to be counter intuitive to do it before that. These games are basically going to take up three days of training and playing time, it's hardly going to be the difference between winning and losing the Ashes, and the only player who'll participate in the Ashes, is going to play just one game, so will only have to come out for a couple of days. That player could also do with some game time, so it's no bad thing for him as it doesn't prevent him from playing any other cricket, it's just extra cricket.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Winner gets the Two S**** trophy that will be now be contested biannually or whenever the Ashes are scheduled. Ashes are just a footnote to this, surely.

theegyptian

Personally I'm quite looking forward to the games. Gives a chance to have a look at a few different players. Ballance, Stokes, Rankin. Gives Buttler a further chance to feel more comfortable at international level. It isn't great for the England setup preparing for the ashes but as a spectator i'm happy having a game to watch. Can see why NZ just wanna go home.

Good scheduling at least to have the games in London. Most of the tickets have gone for both games apparently.