• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
ali ahead of roy tbh.

we desperately need the bowling depth and ali whilst not a huge wicket taking threat has shown himself to be capable of bowling good tight spells.

Agree, but not only to strengthen the bowling, thought Roy was the least impressive of the new English bats. Needs to work on his bat-lift for a start, starts too wide meaning he virtually plays across everything.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
ImpatientLime,

Because some guys take slightly longer than others to establish themselves. And let's face it, do you seriously think Buttler would have done any better against Mitchell Johnson in the last Ashes? A few guys have bloated international average(s) while some heavily underperform in their first few tests. What if SA had discarded Kallis after his very ordinary start to international cricket?

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
By the way, why did NZ select Mathieson when I see Neesham is fit and playing in the CPL and they probably have one or two other guys (like Bracewell and few other semi regulars) playing either county or club cricket in England?
Because despite earning the right to be aggressive or whatever the **** we haven't earnt enough money to justify flying in an all-rounder fresh from injury for one game when a young bloke who was the leading ODD wicket taker last season was nearby. Bracewell is mud in ODIs. Mathieson on that performance (last season) wouldn't be too far off a selection and would be on the mind of the selectors. Right time, right place.

Had we buckets of money I'd have flown in Bennett.

Last edited:

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
I'd keep with Billings personally. Bairstow is probably more likely to score runs in the next game but long term Billings is more likely to be a matchwinner in big games imo. He just needs time and experience of international cricket like Buttler and to a certain extent Bairstow have had.

It's clearly very stupid to say Bairstow is a better ODI bat than Buttler.

I think you have to split ODI/T20 Buttler from Test Buttler. You watch Buttler and he knows exactly how to play in ODI cricket. He seems to know exactly what tempo to play at and when to take risks. Tests (and before that in first class cricket) I always felt he struggled to determine the tempo of the innings and almost how to play + he plays that straight bat push away from his bottom on fifth stump that always makes him especially vulnerable to knick off. A lot of the runs at the start of his career came in low pressure situations; however I really saw an improvement in the NZ series where he played a couple of nice knocks.

Buttler in ODI cricket and to a slightly lesser extent T20 is an absolute banker and will probably end his career as England's best ODI bat ever. Test I still think he is vulnerable and may be dropped in time. I've heard the suggestion he should play as a bat alone in test at 5 but I think he's a million miles away from that. Australia will be a big test - although batting 8 he's well protected.

Buttler is still a poor keeper. England would have likely of won at least one more test if we had a decent keeper.

Bairstow isn't a bad backup to Buttler in test cricket. He'd probably average 30-35 or so from 8 and possibly be a little better behind the stumps that Buttler.

Zinzan

ImpatientLime,

Because some guys take slightly longer than others to establish themselves. And let's face it, do you seriously think Buttler would have done any better against Mitchell Johnson in the last Ashes?
I do, yes. Not suggesting Buttler would have kicked Johnson's ass either, but I do think his technical set-up would give him a better chance to prosper against high quality fast bowling than Bairstow's.

Cric123

School Boy/Girl Captain
Because despite earning the right to be aggressive or whatever the **** we haven't earnt enough money to justify flying in an all-rounder fresh from injury for one game when a young bloke who was the leading ODD wicket taker last season was nearby. Bracewell is mud in ODIs. Mathieson on that performance (last season) wouldn't be too far off a selection and would be on the mind of the selectors. Right time, right place.

I see. But he looked very ordinary. I was listening to Jeremy Coney just prior to the start of the match and he wasn't impressed with his selection.

Zinzan

May not have been the perfect selection Mathieson, but plenty to work with there. Tall lad, looked around 6'5 from where I was & was getting it through at around 86 clicks. The core ingredients for a successful ODI bowler.

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'd keep with Billings personally. Bairstow is probably more likely to score runs in the next game but long term Billings is more likely to be a matchwinner in big games imo. He just needs time and experience of international cricket like Buttler and to a certain extent Bairstow have had.

It's clearly very stupid to say Bairstow is a better ODI bat than Buttler.

I think you have to split ODI/T20 Buttler from Test Buttler. You watch Buttler and he knows exactly how to play in ODI cricket. He seems to know exactly what tempo to play at and when to take risks. Tests (and before that in first class cricket) I always felt he struggled to determine the tempo of the innings and almost how to play + he plays that straight bat push away from his bottom on fifth stump that always makes him especially vulnerable to knick off. A lot of the runs at the start of his career came in low pressure situations; however I really saw an improvement in the NZ series where he played a couple of nice knocks.

Buttler in ODI cricket and to a slightly lesser extent T20 is an absolute banker and will probably end his career as England's best ODI bat ever. Test I still think he is vulnerable and may be dropped in time. I've heard the suggestion he should play as a bat alone in test at 5 but I think he's a million miles away from that. Australia will be a big test - although batting 8 he's well protected.

Buttler is still a poor keeper. England would have likely of won at least one more test if we had a decent keeper.

Bairstow isn't a bad backup to Buttler in test cricket. He'd probably average 30-35 or so from 8 and possibly be a little better behind the stumps that Buttler.
Good post, but probably worth mentioning that Jos batted seven against NZ, with Ali at 8

Darren Gough on talk-sport (you're right to judge me but I have a long drive and like to spend it winding myself up lately) said in the long term he'd take the gloves from Buttler in ODIs and have Bairstow fill that role. I don't see the need

It's nice in a way to think that we can leave a guy who can play an innings like that out of the side. Shows we are very much going in the right direction

Zinzan

Good post, but probably worth mentioning that Jos batted seven against NZ, with Ali at 8

Darren Gough on talk-sport (you're right to judge me but I have a long drive and like to spend it winding myself up lately) said in the long term he'd take the gloves from Buttler in ODIs and have Bairstow fill that role. I don't see the need

It's nice in a way to think that we can leave a guy who can play an innings like that out of the side. Shows we are very much going in the right direction
I'd only look to do that if Buttler had an obvious niggle, otherwise he's by far your best option in all forms. I don't rate Bairstow even close to Buttler's class and wouldn't be surprised to see another English keeper knocking him of that number 2 spot soon.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
is it just me or does it look like Mathieson bowls like he forgot to take a **** before he left the changing room. So goddamn tense.

peaceful

Cricket Spectator
Butler will stays for long times but Bairstow improves much more than I seen him long time ago.593 test runs with 95 best score. I wish Australia vs Yorkshire game he can win hearts of Andrew struss, new chairman.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
is it just me or does it look like Mathieson bowls like he forgot to take a **** before he left the changing room. So goddamn tense.
Possibly also known as 'makingyourdebutitis'? I mean, the first ball hardly came out at all. For some reason when you're nervous, the ball goes back in your hand a touch and your mind wants to halt you releasing it at the last minute...like that's of any help.

Having said that, I love the romanticism that still exists when a guy gets a go because he's in the right spot at the right time playing club cricket. And whilst he probably doesn't deserve an ODI spot based on one season, Mathieson looked a completely different bowler last season - was really impressed with his run-up in particular and the improvements he'd made in getting balanced at the crease. Don't know if he's a future mainstay in the side but he's got a few tools in height and pace (think from memory he had a pretty handy back of the wrist slower ball too)

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Ah well, each to his own...there's a certain jerkiness about the load-up and delivery but the run-up looks vastly improved. If compared to the previous season it'd be chalk and cheese.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Mathieson got talked up as a real 150 man by the Hamilton cry-wolf opportunists, you see. His career was getting held up by the veterans like Arnel and Aldridge and Bradburn's love of Brandon Hiini, and he was going to come in and blow the Plunket Shield away according to some. The clenched intensity you see in his face as he hits the crease might be him trying a bit too hard to live up to his billing, and it's questioned whether that might actually cost him a yard of pace.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain

Going by McCullum's comments after the game I highly doubt we'll see him for some time at least, it's been said but right place right time.

Still good to see him hit 150 in the game, kid still has that gas.