• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah a lot like Henry, the orbit Wheeler gets the Kookaburra's seam into is reasonable, but it's not perfect. A surprising lack of his Plunket wickets actually come from the stock inswinger getting a right-hander lbw or bowled; he's more likely to terrorise left-handers at home.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
VITSTL watching Ross in that footage, he has obviously been working very hard on his footwork and his balance. I would need to see him playing some defensive shots to fully comment but he has evolved since we last saw him in white clothes.

Spark

Global Moderator
he's getting into line a lot better but he's still pushing with his hands way, way too much

Howsie

International Captain
Howsie is right about where ND bat him though.
Yep, I harped on about it all season, especially in the first class stuff. But he really was wasted down the order a lot. He might not have the defensive game to bat three or four on a consistant basis over the course of a season (although I'd back him to do well enough even at this stage of his career). But at the very least he shouldn't be any lower than five. He's a couple of levels above both Joe Carter and Daryl Mitchell talent wise, in terms of ball striking, scoring range, play against spin, which is really quite excellent for a pretty young NZ batsman.

His bowling will just end up on the back burner IMO. I'd be surprised if we got to 2019 and Santner was batting @ eight and contributing with the ball as New Zealand's lead spinner.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Too late or something else?
They tightened the eligibility requirements. Unless Wheeler has some sort of European connection, he needs certain levels of international experience within the past 2 years to qualify for the required visa.

It stopped Andrew McDonald and Trent Copeland from signing County deals a couple of years back, and is why less uncapped players go over there for the winter (unless they play league cricket like Carter, Seifert and Verma are).

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
New Zealand youngster Ben Wheeler shines against Somerset to spark debate | Sport | The Guardian

Ben Wheeler, contrived to take four for six in his first seven overs (and five of those came from wides, which flew over the keeper’s head). Meanwhile Doug Bracewell, who is in their Test squad, was carted for 30 runs from his first three overs. A question familiar to another international side resurfaced: do they really have the right men in the right slots?

Wheeler is a 23-year-old left-armer from Blenheim in the South Island and in his first spell he was irresistible. When left-armers get it right they can cause mayhem. Here Wheeler, bowling a full length, conjured late swing into the right-handers and not for the first time this summer Somerset’s batsmen were bewildered. After six overs the home side were nine for three as the ball swung unerringly into pads or stumps.
https://soundcloud.com/legsidelizzy/talking-to-nz-bowler-ben

Last edited:

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Just read that article. NZC has done it again. By all accounts Edgar was brilliant but as usual he gets the knife from the people who should have been supporting him the most. I cant believe how badly he was treated and being forced to watch the final with the Aussie WAGS .Humiliating for a proud former test player and a brilliant selector. Lindsay Crocker who played 54 games for ND surely mate you could have tried a bit harder ??? Pretty low from you mate.Disgusting.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Yep, I harped on about it all season, especially in the first class stuff. But he really was wasted down the order a lot. He might not have the defensive game to bat three or four on a consistant basis over the course of a season (although I'd back him to do well enough even at this stage of his career). But at the very least he shouldn't be any lower than five. He's a couple of levels above both Joe Carter and Daryl Mitchell talent wise, in terms of ball striking, scoring range, play against spin, which is really quite excellent for a pretty young NZ batsman.

His bowling will just end up on the back burner IMO. I'd be surprised if we got to 2019 and Santner was batting @ eight and contributing with the ball as New Zealand's lead spinner.

Very wristy style for one of our NZ players, isn't it. Really delays the unhinging of the wrists until as late as possible, like the golfer he is. Not that that huge hinge is necessarily what you want for the moving ball against pace though, or against guys who are a yard quicker than domestix.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
Lindsay Crocker who played 54 games for ND
Thoughtful star from the 1980s has personality clash with a faceless Northern Districts accountancy and logistics man at NZC who's not so big on the niceties? Very much the standard skirmish in NZ cricket. Even I'm getting a bit sick of it, the poster who invented the whole agribusiness Northern Districts meme.

JediNudist

U19 Debutant
Thoughtful star from the 1980s has personality clash with a faceless Northern Districts accountancy and logistics man at NZC who's not so big on the niceties? Very much the standard skirmish in NZ cricket. Even I'm getting a bit sick of it, the poster who invented the whole agribusiness Northern Districts meme.
NZC I thought had finally srted themselves out. But no. Not at all. typical, Lost Shane Bond to the IPL coin and the GM of cricket who hides in the shadows with knives cuts Edgar out of organisation. He deliberately treated Edgar poorly to get him to quit. What a goose. Thus will only hurt NZC.