• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Another interesting question for me is whether Southee will bowl that badly two tests in a row. He hasn't strung together two poor performances on the bounce since the first two tests of the home England series in 2013. We need him to find and maintain his rhythm if we're to have any chance of levelling the series.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Another interesting question for me is whether Southee will bowl that badly two tests in a row. He hasn't strung together two poor performances on the bounce since the first two tests of the home England series in 2013. We need him to find and maintain his rhythm if we're to have any chance of levelling the series.
Yeah, we really lacked a decent 2nd or 3rd spell from him in each innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
One positive to focus on. Despite his jaw-dropping dismissal to finish the test, lovely lovely Trenty is now ranked number 4 in the test bowling ratings - and if he outbowls Anderson next week he'll likely go to number 2.

Tim drops out of the top 10 for the first time since February 2014.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
If he gets consistency back in his game but doesn't take wickets at OT, I'll be a little bit happier. His inability to create any semblance of pressure through dot balls and decent grouping was a big contributor to England scoring more than they should've in both innings.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, Southee in particular looked toothless. Let's just hope we can put that down to the lack of preparation & rhythm and nothing to do with the recent loss of Bond.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Amongst other things, Southee better pull finger or Boult will overtake his career wicket tally - that's 139 to 119 now.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Anyone disagree on Boult now being our best bowler across both Tests and ODIs?
Overall in Tests? I'd probably be inclined to say yes now.

Overall in ODIs? On current form yes. But I wouldn't say definitely our best overall. Needs more games under his belt.

Zinzan

Overall in Tests? I'd probably be inclined to say yes now.

Overall in ODIs? On current form yes. But I wouldn't say definitely our best overall. Needs more games under his belt.
That's cool, but if he isn't..then..who is? Or are you saying that's still uncertain?

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone disagree on Boult now being our best bowler across both Tests and ODIs?
On form definitely. It's only 6 tests, but in the last year, since the WI tour, Boult's taken 28 wickets at 24 compared to Southee's 16 at 47. Now I think Southee's bowled a bit better than those figures would suggest (which can happen with such a small sample size) but there's no doubt that Boult's been the more consistent bowler. I still can't shake the feeling that Southee has more tools for success than Boult overall (height and control-wise) but the wonderful consistency that typified his play during his 2012-2014 renaissance has been sadly absent.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Trent's definitely the better bowler (in Tests, not overly concerned about ODIs until 2019). Although I kinda wish he had've bowled worse this morning :@

kiwiviktor81

International Debutant
So, match stats:

Boult 9 for 164
Henry 6 for 199
Southee 3 for 266
Craig 2 for 173

It's definitely a worry that, not only is Southee not taking wickets, but he's expensive too. Signs that he's badly off rhythm.

Zinzan

So, match stats:

Boult 9 for 164
Henry 6 for 199
Southee 3 for 266
Craig 2 for 173

It's definitely a worry that, not only is Southee not taking wickets, but he's expensive too. Signs that he's badly off rhythm.
Yup, a lesser bowler would be replaced on the back of those Southee's numbers. Southee & Craig were unquestionably the main culprits in the game getting away from us in England's 2nd innings...

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Should have opened with Brendon as I posted and told him and him alone to chase the total.
He does have a disturbing and persistent consistency of failing when the chips are down.
I realise those comments are inconsistent. Or perhaps they are consistent , he should have been used as a free wicket to have a larrop as his defensive game is mediocre. Even though he says it is much better. Was any explanation given as to why he promoted watling ahead of him. It seemed like he was conceding that he can't survive against the new ball.

Last edited:

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That's one possible explanation. Another may be that even at 20/3, McCullum still fancied keeping his powder (himself, Anderson and Southee) dry for an evening victory push in the final 20 overs. Those hopes would've died when Williamson was dismissed though.

viriya

International Captain
Been busy lately so haven't followed the games as much.. NBA taking up most of my time.. But looks like England pulled off a blinder.. Cook finally making some runs a huge relief I'm sure..